You see a lot of blues and rock guitarists resting their pinky on the pickguard or the pickup when picking individual notes.
I've recently tried to adopt from that so that I could pick without resting my pinky, which is what I used to do.
It's very difficult, but I'm coping.
But I realized that, without resting, I could play arpeggiated chords much easier.

I noticed that a lot of shredders do this.
While I'm not interested in shred guitar, more of a blues player, I'd love to have the ability to play substantially fast.

Am I doing the right thing?
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Its still hair, you know.
Yeah its called anhoring search it on google.

some say no its not okay.

other would say its down to prefrence i used to anchore but i forced my self out of it, and glad i did!
Quote by ibrahimasood
Yeah its called anhoring search it on google.

some say no its not okay.

other would say its down to prefrence i used to anchore but i forced my self out of it, and glad i did!

how did it help you?
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by ibrahimasood
I guess i had more controll.

REALLY? I actually thought anchoring gives you more control, but okay
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
The problem with anchoring is that it makes the picking motion less fluid. Some great players like Michael Angelo Batio and John Petrucci use this approach. Others like Shawn Lane and Paul Gilbert don't use anchoring. It all depends on what you find more comfortable. If you want to anchor, make sure there's not much friction between your hand and the guitar because that's what the problem with anchoring is.
Quote by Amer91
If you want to anchor, make sure there's not much friction between your hand and the guitar because that's what the problem with anchoring is.

This.....^^^

I anchor at times with my pinkie, as it touches the guitar but it isn't fixed. It slides on the face of the guitar and is used more of a reference to keep to pick at a certain distance from the strings. So maybe it isn't anchoring....who knows...everyones deffinition is different as to what is tech considered an anchor.

I always say do what is best for you.

Learn to lpay anchored and unanchored and you can't go wrong. but as always if something hurt, reevaluate your motions to make it comfortable.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
That anchoring, combined with obessive gaming and wanking, gave me carpal tunnel.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Quote by Solid S/hit
That anchoring, combined with obessive gaming and wanking, gave me carpal tunnel.

Yeah, as he said, that's anchoring. For more information, it's in one of the stickies.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1091796

Check section 5.8.

thanks, that might help
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by Solid S/hit

You have CT already? How old are you? A doctor told you that you have CT or you are assuming that you do?

I've been anchoring, wanking and playing video games for over 12 years and my wrists are fine.....and I used to wank like 5-6 times a day.....I just rubbed one off before I even finished typing this
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dang, didn't know anchoring gives you Carpel Tunnel

Im off lol
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by radomu

Im off lol

It isn't a deffinate thing. Just like typing CAN give you carpel tunnel, but it doesn't mean it will.

My girls mom got carpul tunnel from playing piano for many years, had surgery, and is back to playing.....sometimes things like this are hereditary (spelling?) My girl has achy knees and she doesn't run or anything, just things that happen.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
You have CT already? How old are you? A doctor told you that you have CT or you are assuming that you do?

I've been anchoring, wanking and playing video games for over 12 years and my wrists are fine.....and I used to wank like 5-6 times a day.....I just rubbed one off before I even finished typing this

Yeah, I went to the doctors about it and that's when I found out.

I find it to be a great chat upline.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Quote by Solid S/hit
Yeah, I went to the doctors about it and that's when I found out.

I find it to be a great chat upline.

That sucks man, sorry to hear that. Did the doc say it was from anchoring, gaming, and wanking? That'd be too funny if he did.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Ive never understood anchoring. All I see are negatives, bad hand position, Weird angles, ect...

But not everyone "anchors" the same way.

When I anchor my hand position is exactly the same as when I don't anchor, only difference is my pinky sticks out and rests on the body. So nothing is that weird about it, at least the way I do it. I don't think anyways.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by radomu

Im off lol

The main thing people cite for this is that Steve Morse anchors and he has carpal tunnel, but I'm pretty sure he has it in both hands which kind of debunks that argument.
Quote by Shabadoo
The main thing people cite for this is that Steve Morse anchors and he has carpal tunnel, but I'm pretty sure he has it in both hands which kind of debunks that argument.

Exactly, everyone I have meet who has had or has CT has it in both hands not just one, and I've actually never meet a guitar player with CT.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
Exactly, everyone I have meet who has had or has CT has it in both hands not just one, and I've actually never meet a guitar player with CT.

most ct is caused by computer use, usually when people use a mouse for example they rest their wrist on the desk while moving the wrist and this applies a great deal of pressure to the median nerve in the wrist. anchoring your wrist to the guitar would be a similar thing bu anchoring a pinky is probably fine. still not a great way to pick though as you can get you more speed and control from relaxing and floating the hand.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by srob7001
That sucks man, sorry to hear that. Did the doc say it was from anchoring, gaming, and wanking? That'd be too funny if he did.

Nah it was questions like "What do you do involving hand/wrist use the most?" And to put it bluntly jackin' the beanstalk.
Plus the the whole massive computer use and the way I play guitar.

He said it was a mixture of them that lead to it.

Quote by lwayneio
most ct is caused by computer use, usually when people use a mouse for example they rest their wrist on the desk while moving the wrist and this applies a great deal of pressure to the median nerve in the wrist.

Pretty much my reason.
Quote by AlanHB
I would recommend seeing a chiropractor (thats what was suggested to me by someone who had it and got it sorted) as they can often help relieve the problem without the need for surgery or steroid injections. also try and strengthen the muscles in the forearm that extend your fingers away for the hand, there are a lot of products that allow you to do this, or you could try using a rubber band. this product i have found to be quite good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG9Ucds-ElY I use it every other day for about a minute and i find that my wrist feels much stronger after my rsi injury (which i also got from using a computer)
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
About a year or 18 months ago, I was getting "twinges" in my left (fretting) hand/wrist quite often. I asked a masseuse that came around work about it, and he said that I had a mild case of it. He showed me a series of stretches that I could do before playing. I have been following this religiously ever since - always stretching before playing, and while playing, stopping for a moment now and again for a quick mini stretch. After stretching, I make sure I warm-up thoroughly once I'm on the guitar. I also make sure I take a 5-10 minute break for every 30 minutes that I play. It works. I haven't felt any symptoms since I incorporated this, and I play quite a bit (2 hrs/day average, up to 5 hrs per day on weekends).

For some info on how to stretch correctly - check out the John Petrucci video on You tube about stretching and warming up.
The better guitarist knows when to anchor and when not to. Its for their preference. If they need control for picking, then they anchor, if they need fluidity, then they dont.
*bump*

i have a question and don't want to make an entirely new thread.

so basically what is the correct way to be "not anchored"?

cause im so used to resting my pinky on the pick guard, i'm worried that trying to learn to play without it will destroy my playing. I want to make sure i'm doing it the "correct" way. CAn someone post a pic or video of how to hold the pick and where your fingers should be?

thanks
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
^ Hey Man, I'd just do a search for "Paul Gilbert lesson" on You tube and watch his right hand. In my opinion, he has the best right hand technique I've seen.
Quote by se012101
^ Hey Man, I'd just do a search for "Paul Gilbert lesson" on You tube and watch his right hand. In my opinion, he has the best right hand technique I've seen.

then you should watch some shawn lane videos
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by GibsonRocker14
*bump*

i have a question and don't want to make an entirely new thread.

so basically what is the correct way to be "not anchored"?

cause im so used to resting my pinky on the pick guard, i'm worried that trying to learn to play without it will destroy my playing. I want to make sure i'm doing it the "correct" way. CAn someone post a pic or video of how to hold the pick and where your fingers should be?

thanks

just remove the pinky from the reference, but start out slow. You don't want to immediately try to tackle songs or things you already know when you did anchor.

Like someone else said, it's just another technique and should be used as such. If you watch some of the virtuosos, they will anchor at some points depending on what they're doing. I'm sure PG and Shawn have never anchored in their lives, but I've seen other virtuosos use it as a technique as much as someone would use sweeping when needed.

For the people who say you can't get CT and it's just rubbish, I've posted in a similar anchoring thread a few months back, and I did indeed list sites and proof that you can damage your hand and wrist from anchoring. Though, I'd think it'd be anchoring the wrong way, just like you can mess up your wrist from doing barre chords the wrong way and all that.

Also, the Steve Morse arguement. Ever thought to think he did chords or something wrong with his fretting which along with anchoring as everyone believes caused his CT, did in fact cause his CT?
Quote by FallsDownStairs
just remove the pinky from the reference, but start out slow. You don't want to immediately try to tackle songs or things you already know when you did anchor.

Like someone else said, it's just another technique and should be used as such. If you watch some of the virtuosos, they will anchor at some points depending on what they're doing. I'm sure PG and Shawn have never anchored in their lives, but I've seen other virtuosos use it as a technique as much as someone would use sweeping when needed.

For the people who say you can't get CT and it's just rubbish, I've posted in a similar anchoring thread a few months back, and I did indeed list sites and proof that you can damage your hand and wrist from anchoring. Though, I'd think it'd be anchoring the wrong way, just like you can mess up your wrist from doing barre chords the wrong way and all that.

Also, the Steve Morse arguement. Ever thought to think he did chords or something wrong with his fretting which along with anchoring as everyone believes caused his CT, did in fact cause his CT?

I dont see any reason why anchoring would give you ct (btw i don't anchor and i think its silly to do so as limiting your hands freedom to move seems dumb when trying to play clean and fast). I can understand that it might cause wrist injuries but not ct. and the steve more thing to me the cause is more likely the way he holds the pick. have a look at how far away from his palm his thumb is and then try this yourself and notice how the large fleshy part under the thumb makes a large crevice in the center of the palm (as the hand joins the wrist) this is where the median nerve is and keeping this position for a long period of time compresses this which is where the symptoms come from.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
a ´problem with anchoring is that its easier to cause stress on your arm if you anchor, so its easier to get serious problems