I'm thinking about buying a new guitar in the near future...
I really like the SG shape, and I've heard good things about the G-400.

Is there much of a difference between a normal G-400 and a Goth G-400? And I think the Goth version is cheaper. If there is a difference in quality or whatever is it worth the price difference?
Your Shirt Would Look Better With A Colombian Neck Tie
I highly doubt there's a significant difference in quality. The main differences are aesthetically and a matter of feel since the Goth has a matte finish.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
They're exactly the same, they just look different.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
yeah, i have a goth thunderbird, and it plays exactly like all the other epiphone thunderbirds. its all in the looks
I have played both and IMO the GOTH pups just sound hotter when compared side by side with the G400. I am not sure if they use better pups or not but I know my GOTH Epi LP definitely has better pups than my other Epis LPs. Other than that they feel and play the same.

John
Your Goth's pickups are probably just slightly closer to the strings. Spec-wise, all Goth SGs, LPs, G-400s, G-400 Customs, G-310s, LP Standards, LP Customs and etc etc all use the same pickup.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Test it out with a strap to make sure it's comfortable. G-400s are known to neck dive. That's something a lot of people refuse to deal with. Playing while standing can be a pain.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
Just get a MIM fat strat. Better guitar all the way around.
You do realise that a Strat will play and sound completely different to an SG and there's actually no basis to compare the two whatsoever? You might as well be suggesting OP gets an ES-335.
Quote by MrFlibble
You do realise that a Strat will play and sound completely different to an SG and there's actually no basis to compare the two whatsoever? You might as well be suggesting OP gets an ES-335.

I do realize that. And i was not making a comparison. I just gave some advice. Relax bro.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
I do realize that. And i was not making a comparison. I just gave some advice. Relax bro.

Poor advice, Strat bridges aren't as comfy to play as a TOM, Strat necks are too round and narrow and the wrong scale. Totally different and not better.

Personally, I'd get the Goth one, simply because the matte finish is nice on the neck and looks classy and minimalist.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by IPlaySchecter
Just get a MIM fat strat. Better guitar all the way around.

Strats = Fail. Fender in general = Fail. Except the Telecaster. Telecaster = win.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by JELIFISH19
Test it out with a strap to make sure it's comfortable. G-400s are known to neck dive. That's something a lot of people refuse to deal with. Playing while standing can be a pain.

neck dive is actually really easy to fix. you just have to move the top strap lock to a different spot
Just for the record the GOTH SG comes with Alnico Classics open humbuckers while the G 400 has Alnico Vs Covered humbuckers. In my experience they sound different the metal cover effects the sound.

I set up all my guitars the same so there should be no difference between the distance of the pup to the strings.

John
Epi's pickups are all Alnio V Classic pickups, officially. The only difference is they get/lose the Classic tag depending on when they're made with covers or not. For the record, they're all made to the same spec as the Gibson '57 Classic and Classic Plus pickups.

As far as covers making a difference to sound, that's not the case with Epi pickups. On good aftermarket pickups with proper nickel covers you would notice a difference in tone, but the covers Epi use are cheap zinc and don't interfere with the magnetic field of the pickups at all, so there is no change in tone.