Hey guys,

Got the guitar last night - Transparent Green - purchased brand new (??) from Musicians Friend. Amazing looking guitar - only thing that kind of bothers me is that there is wood glue right above the tiny space between where the neck meets the body and where the neck pickup is. now for a US guitar that should be inspected and scrutinized many times before they're shipped out the door i'm kind of shocked they would overlook that detail.

Here's the real issue - the body of the guitar has like faint scratches - the kind you can only see when you see it in the light. not in the finish or anything but like someone had rubbed it down with a slightly abrasive cloth or something. call me crazy but for an expensive instrument you would figure this beast would be immaculate - buffed out to perfection - before they popped it back in the case and shipped it out. maybe i'm just scrutinizing way too close - i've bought new guitars before and maybe i just never payed that close of attention because my expectations were lower. I understand they play them during the inspection to make sure everything is good to go, but still.

also there was some gunk near the input jack and a little on the back like someone peeled a sticker off and it left the sticky residue behind. not a big deal it buffed right off but still again... this is an expensive guitar and i am surprised that these details would be overlooked.

It almost seems to me that they popped a slightly used instrument into the case and shipped it out? What do you guys think? Has anyone here ever had an issue with a suppose new guitar like this before? Might be a dumb issue to pick on but I am just curious. Ultimately it's all about how it sounds/plays and it's amazing in both categories.

Thanks
that`s the shoddy workmanship i`ve come to expect of jackson guitars, you need to return it it also highlights the disadvantages of buying online.
send it back and tell them the problem, they may have accidentally sent you a used, b-stock, or refurbished guitar, they should be able to send you a replacement no problem
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
Yeah I'm sure - they charged me for a new guitar as well and the packing slip says that it's new. That's kind of what I had feared that I was going to have to send it back. Sucks, but frankly that's too much money to spend for something that isn't perfect right out of the box.
hmm that very rare that Jackson sent them a guitar that didn't pass inspection.

IT's probably a b-stock item or refurbished.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
return it and order it from sweetwater. From the gallery if possible. Sweetwater is much better than musicians friend/gc . Just my opinion though.
Quote by lpcustom325
send it back and tell them the problem, they may have accidentally sent you a used, b-stock, or refurbished guitar, they should be able to send you a replacement no problem

+1
Usually, when you order from a big site like that, the guitar goes straight from the Jackson factory, to the seller's warehouse, to your home. It should be in the condition it was in when it left the factory. The guitar you described sounds like someone bought it, and probably returned it due to a couple things you mentioned.
Yes definitely send it back its heartbreaking to get something brand new and it isn't right. If you can buy it locally because most Jackson dealers are really good about fixing stuff under warranty. The switch in my SL2H crapped out the day after I bought it and they fixed it right away. You wont get that with ANY online retailer. I know that sometimes it isn't possible to buy local though. Good luck either way.
Quote by Chad11491
return it and order it from sweetwater. From the gallery if possible. Sweetwater is much better than musicians friend/gc . Just my opinion though.

+1
But their selection sucks compared to MF and GC. They're very helpful and they make sure you're happy with your purchase. I ordered some pickups (2 Dirty Fingers), and the guy called a few minutes after I ordered them to make sure I really wanted them and he explained other options (that probably would've been cheaper too). He also called a few weeks after I got them to ask if I was liking them. Now that's customer service. The most surprising thing is that he did it just for pickups. I can only imagine what they do for guitars.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
that`s the shoddy workmanship i`ve come to expect of jackson guitars, you need to return it it also highlights the disadvantages of buying online.

I don't know what Jacksons you've been playing man- I haven't seen or played a bad one yet.

As for you TSer,
When I got my SL2H it was flawless...it didn't even need a set up. I am sorry your guitar did not come perfect right out of the box, but it seems like you got a lemon. Send that sucker back, I am sure they will send you a good one. As for ordering online, I would always order via a dealer so you have their support with these kinds of problems.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Hey guys,

Quick update. I called MF and was very impressed with their customer service. No questions asked they said they were sorry about the poor quality and to send it back, we'll pay for shipping, and we'll give you a full refund. They did tell me that any guitar under $2K they don't open up and inspect so they just send it straight out. That being said I find that extremely shocking once again that this could pass four different sets of eyes and not get kicked out as a scratch and dent or something... oh well I'll get it right the next time.

Thanks to all you guys for the responses.
I also think they sent you one that had been returned or something. I would suggest buying guitar like that in person anyway. So are you gonna get another Jackson or try something else?
Quote by Richmanofaction
I don't know what Jacksons you've been playing man- I haven't seen or played a bad one yet.

As for you TSer,
When I got my SL2H it was flawless...it didn't even need a set up. I am sorry your guitar did not come perfect right out of the box, but it seems like you got a lemon. Send that sucker back, I am sure they will send you a good one. As for ordering online, I would always order via a dealer so you have their support with these kinds of problems.

Same here. Never seen a USA Jackson with flaws. And i've seen over 20 pieces.

Btw TS, I have the very same guitar. Mine is a 2001 SL2H.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL

LP_CL - Haha that's funny you responded on this thread. I know you have the same - you responded to one of my threads from a while ago and I looked at a bunch of pics of yours. Honestly, my first color choice was Cherry Sunburst but I couldn't find it anywhere so after pouring over the pics of yours I decided on the transparent green - sick color btw - sick guitar as well, the neck is insanely fast.

I am more than likely going to get the same guitar and yes this time I am just going to have a dealer order it for me. One of the main reasons I ordered online was it's typically cheaper (no sales tax) and the dealers around me didn't have anything new in stock and I didn't want to wait for it to get here.
I'm very honoured that you chose trans green thanks to my pictures. If you ask me, it's alot more pretty then the sunbust. I always liked bursts on Les Pauls, but never on superstrats. And the sunburst on the Jacksons is too yellow/red (read: the colours are too harsh). Not brownish/black enough.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
I'm very honoured that you chose trans green thanks to my pictures. If you ask me, it's alot more pretty then the sunbust. I always liked bursts on Les Pauls, but never on superstrats. And the sunburst on the Jacksons is too yellow/red (read: the colours are too harsh). Not brownish/black enough.

Yeah - I sort of agree - What I mean is sometimes I see a pic in CBS and it looks incredible and then other times just like you said it's way too orange/yellow/red.
Quote by LP_CL

Same, My SL2H was set up perfectly, and everything about it was perfect right out of the box. I haven't played quite that many U.S.A Jacksons (6or7) but i've never seen one with any flaws whatsoever, other than just slight pick scratches from being a display model where anyone can play it...
Quote by ibanezgod1973

I highly doubt you've actually played a USA Jackson, because if you had, you wouldn't have made such an ignorant statement.

I've heard numerous horror stories about Musician's Friend sending out guitars that had flaws. I've heard a few cases of people buying high end instruments that actually had snapped necks before. Personally, I think you should have gone through a local authorized Jackson dealer. You wouldn't be sending your guitar back right now if you did it this way.
Quote by Vittu0666
I highly doubt you've actually played a USA Jackson, because if you had, you wouldn't have made such an ignorant statement.

I've heard numerous horror stories about Musician's Friend sending out guitars that had flaws. I've heard a few cases of people buying high end instruments that actually had snapped necks before. Personally, I think you should have gone through a local authorized Jackson dealer. You wouldn't be sending your guitar back right now if you did it this way.

2 jacksons both together costing £4000 both of them subpar construction shoddy electrics, hairline fractures around the neck pocket and on the base plate of the trem etc this was 15 years ago, i`ve nothing good to say about this company but well versed in their quality of workmanship and customer service. i do everything i can to encourage my students to stay away from jackson guitars based on personnel experience.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
2 jacksons both together costing £4000 both of them subpar construction shoddy electrics, hairline fractures around the neck pocket and on the base plate of the trem etc this was 15 years ago, i`ve nothing good to say about this company but well versed in their quality of workmanship and customer service. i do everything i can to encourage my students to stay away from jackson guitars based on personnel experience.

That really does suck, and I can see why it left a bad taste in your mouth, but the fact that it occurred 15 years ago should really make you reevaluate your position on the brand. Alot can change in terms of QC, as well as quality in general over the course of 15 years.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
that was fifteen years when Jackson was owned by Akai but these days it's owned By FMIC.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Well like I said in an earlier post I wanted to save the sales tax on the guitar - not a huge amount of money but still. Plus I've used MF many times before and always been pleased with any guitars or whatever I was buying.

As far as Jackson's quality I would agree that I have been playing Jacksons for 6 years and have always been pleased with every guitar I've owned - sometimes you just get a lemon.
i'm glad you're getting it sorted out, i also expect pics when you get a quality replacement
gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
Quote by lpcustom325
i'm glad you're getting it sorted out, i also expect pics when you get a quality replacement

I'll definitely be posting some pics don't worry - btw how do you like the Hellraiser? Never played any Schecters but they look incredible in pictures.
Quote by ibanezgod1973

You must have the worst luck in the entire existence of the world, because I've never ran into a bad Jackson. The only time anyone ever hears horror stories is when they're reminiscing about the old Custom Shop Jacksons when Akai was making the calls.
Quote by Taterchops
I'll definitely be posting some pics don't worry - btw how do you like the Hellraiser? Never played any Schecters but they look incredible in pictures.

i love it, i'm gonna lower the action a little to make it better though, and it looks better in person than in the pictures
gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!