ok as some of you know I have been a rythm player for years..
just never practiced as hard as I should have.
Now Im ready to learn to play leads,solos..

where to start?
the speed is a problem as well...i know "slowly and accurately" but even after that, theres a point where there needs to be a transition from med speed, which i can do. to fast.. I cant get it!
do you just try over and over till you can? heh..
That and, remember, strength comes first above all when playing lead....develop ur finger strength first and foremost and u'll realize how much easier it'll be to tackle lead playing...after that, comes muscle memory and synchronization....
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
Quote by Cisc

where to start?
the speed is a problem as well...i know "slowly and accurately" but even after that, theres a point where there needs to be a transition from med speed, which i can do. to fast.. I cant get it!

Nope

cool story bro

Best way to start is motivated with a song you have a desire to learn.

At least then you ahve the dedication and passion to learn it.
Get a guitar pro tab of it if you're not learning it by ear and then alter the tempo so you can hear it slow to know the rhythm better etc.
Play it like that until you can do it fine.
Up the tempo more.
Repeat till you have done it.

Once you get the muscle memory slow you can progress through the speeds easily.

Example, I was learning a 200 BPM song.

So I slowed it down to 100 to get the rhythm of the notes perfect and learn the fingering etc.
Once I could do it like that I popped it to 150 BPM then 200 only minutes after.

Get the optimal fingering for the solo.
1 finger per fret but DON'T be afraid to move your whole hand around to accomdate stretches.

Good alternate picking is a must. Practice that.

Keep your picking tight, don't move the pick up and down so much that it's straying away or hitting other strings, keep it tight and concise.

Same for your finger. YOU AM GOT TO MAKE YOUR PINKY YOUR BEST FRIEND.
Use it. Alot.

Warm up before learning solos.
The muscle memory will take effect quicker that way.

SAY what you play.
Example.. Say the frets you're meant to play.

Twelve, thirteen, fifteen, seventeen.
This triggers another part of your brain and will help you learn it quicker.

Hope it helps, any questions ask me.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
you have to want to learn a song to play it properly, you will want to learn how to play just as i did with the Stairway solo just kept practicing it for ages and then i got it.

Yeah and try it slow then get faster aswell
I think Solid pretty much summed it up.
If you have trouble remembering tabs give them a play through before bed at night, i find it helps me remember (same trick i used for my german vocab in secondary school )
Start slow...obviously....but what I like to do is exaggerate my up stokes a bit while playing slow that way i get used to the upstoke feel as the upstroke is always the hardest, at least for me. Then once you get the rythm of what your right hand should be doing you can just speed it up.

I always find the picking hand is what is lacking with most people, myself included. Fretting has always been the easier part.

Another thing, always try to keep your hand in the same position while playing fast as you did when playing slow(picking hand that is). Sounds dumb, but from personal experience when I increased speed I noticed my hand positioning would change a bit which basically threw everything off. You must play the same fast as you do slow or else you are basically learning to pick 2 diff ways.

It'll come...just be patient grasshopper
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by Cisc
lol ive been playing 15 years! just not practicing the right stuff, or often.

thanks for the help guys!

Oh I understand, I've been at it for 12 years now and I really didn't get my fast consistant alt picking down until about a year or two ago.

Like you said, just gotta practice the right stuff, and the right way.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by Cisc

where to start?

That point doesn't exist, not if you're methodical. Don't be impatient and don't try to make big jumps - improve steadily, only move the metronome up when you're ready and only do it a coupe of bpm at a time. Playing fast doesn't happen overnight, depending on how fast the piece s it could take years to get good enough.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ok thanks for the advice, I guess I really need to pick a lead I like and learn it. work on it every day.
something a half step down and not too difficult, but something I WANT to play.
better think on this a while.
Concerto Moon - To Die For
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
I'd start with something easy and work your way up to the stuff you really want to play - like shook me all night (ACDC) or Paranoid, or Stairway All good pentatonic solos that you can get your teeth into, that you should be able to learn without getting too frustrated.

Try improvising too if you don't already
Quote by Cisc
wow never heard of them till now, that riff is tough
I feel like the leads are way out of my range though...

that could be part of my problem though..

What type of stuff are you into? If you give me an idea of your style or a song you want to learn the lead to, I could split it up into sections and write a guide to learning it for you to follow. It'd be easier that way.

An amazing genre is music from computer games. Especially the 80s - late 90s stuff.
THere's plenty of melody in the music, some crazy shred parts in alot of it etc.
Check out some tabs to your favourite games too, it helped me when I was learning leads.
Quote by AlanHB
well honestly man I mainly listen to metal..

anything from maiden, in flames, paradise lost and megadeth styles, all the way to deathmetal. and just about anything in between.
All that remains has some of the best guitar work I have heard recently as well.(probably too difficult for me though)

I have 2 guitars..I keep my Ibanez in standard tuning and the BC Rich is Eb. So one of those tuning preferrably.

the link in my sig is my band. (for example what im into)
I am not playing the leads but am playing rythm on the first song. we still need to rerecord the other two.

I guess a good starting point would be some maiden huh?
if you want to write me out a guide that would be cool, I would put in the effort to actually learn it, and hopefully get started on my way to learning to solo..

\m/
if you want to write me out a guide that would be cool, I would put in the effort to actually learn it, and hopefully get started on my way to learning to solo..

me too! :-)
Quote by Cisc
well honestly man I mainly listen to metal..

anything from maiden, in flames, paradise lost and megadeth styles, all the way to deathmetal. and just about anything in between.
All that remains has some of the best guitar work I have heard recently as well.(probably too difficult for me though)

I have 2 guitars..I keep my Ibanez in standard tuning and the BC Rich is Eb. So one of those tuning preferrably.

the link in my sig is my band. (for example what im into)
I am not playing the leads but am playing rythm on the first song. we still need to rerecord the other two.

I guess a good starting point would be some maiden huh?

\m/

All right, when I get home from work I'll find a fairly easy Maiden solo for you.
You want me to guide all of the song for you, or just the solo?
Quote by AlanHB
Remember Tomorrow is a good one to start with.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com