im looking for a new guitar and floyd rose is major factor, i like them but ppl say restring is a pain in the ****, changing tunnings wont be aa problem but is there anything ineed to do regularly to keep it working
on my edge pro`s i put a drop of gun/machine oil on the saddles and knife edges every couple of months, and make sure uou clean the crap out of the crevices.
If it's a decent bridge (either an Original Floyd Rose or one of the better copies) then it's no harder to work with than a traditional Strat-style vibrato. The inital set up can take a little longer (especially if you use a weird string gauge or play in an odd tuning) but once you've got it set up right once, it's easy to work with.

The problem is if you get one of the cheaper copies, which frequently suffer from all sorts of problems, especially tuning problems. It can also take a while to set the bridge up if you use bizarre tunings/string gauges, though you only have to deal with that once really.

Also bear in mind that you can't change tunings easily, to change tunings on a Floyd guitar requires you to open up the back and start adjusting the spring tension, and basically set up the whole guitar all over again. So if you change tunings often, don't get a guitar with a Floyd, really you should just put it in one tuning and leave it like that.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Tedis1111
would i have to set it up after purchase?

Most likely yes.

I have never picked up a guitar right out of the box and it been ready to go. That goes for floating and fixed trem guitars.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Well... yes, clearly. You can't set up a guitar before you buy it
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Well... yes, clearly. You can't set up a guitar before you buy it

i meant would it come set up out of the factory
Probably not, very few brands set their guitars up properly. Sometimes the shop itself will set up the guitar, though this tends to only be done at smaller independent stores, online shops and chain stores tend to not bother.

Also just because the brand or a store set up the guitar to what they think is right doesn't mean it will be set up right for you. If you're going to own a guitar with a Floyd bridge, you need to know how to adjust the spring tension and height of the bridge properly.
Quote by MrFlibble
Probably not, very few brands set their guitars up properly. Sometimes the shop itself will set up the guitar, though this tends to only be done at smaller independent stores, online shops and chain stores tend to not bother.

Alot of brands set up their guitars in the factory, but they will require additional messing with to get it just right for, as no one can set up guitar for yourself, better then yourself.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I buy from local retailers and always insist they set it up before I pick it up. If you cant do this then just take it and have it done professionally the first time and you can do it yourself after that. Stick with the same size and brand of strings if possible or you will be doing some setup work. They really aren't that bad to care for, well at least OFRs anyway. The benefits out weigh the work IMO.