I really want to replace the bridge humbucker on my SG Standard. It sounds thin and sterile.

I'm looking for a slightly hotter pickup, that sounds real thick and creamy.

Any suggestions? I play all kinds of rock.

Thanks!

-JJ
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Gibson, running it through an Orange Rockerverb 50 Head & Orange 4x12 cab.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
SD sh-5
Quote by Junnage
GuitarUser knows what's up*

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
digital amps are like Fapping, its good but nothings like the real thing.
^What kind of sound does that pickup have?
Quote by NeverMeant
Quote by sloppyjoe109
^What kind of sound does that pickup have?

Very open, but high output. It's great if you like PAF tones but with more power. It's not so great for cleans imo, but does rock and metal very well. It definitely is the opposite of "thin".
Maybe something with less output would also work for you, a Duncan '59 or Custom Custom.

There's also always the possibility of getting a boutique pup, but I can't comment on most of those.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 22, 2009,
^Yeah I was recommended rockmonkeyguitars.com, but I kinda want something I can go buy at the store and try it at home right away.

Someone told me the '59 would be too mushy in the SG, true or false?

Also, how does the SH-5 not do cleans well?
Quote by NeverMeant
They just don't sound very interesting for cleans, kinda bland. It's a common thing for high output humbuckers.

I've never tried the '59 in an SG, only in LP style guitars. It always sounded warm, balanced, but nicely gritty in the upper mids. I always liked it for '70s tones, though it can do high gain well enough, too.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 22, 2009,
^How do you think the '59 will do in the SG?

I definitely want something hotter, but not necessarily very high output.

For sure thicker and creamier though.
Quote by NeverMeant
59 wont do any good on bridge position.
Quote by Junnage
GuitarUser knows what's up*

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
digital amps are like Fapping, its good but nothings like the real thing.
hmm...
Quote by NeverMeant
The '59 isn't all that creamy. The Duncan Custom 5 and Custom Custom are worth a listen I think. They have more output than a '59, but less than an SH-5.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh11_custom_cus/
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh14_custom_5/

They also have sound samples somewhere on the site.
cool cool man, thanks!
Quote by NeverMeant
dimarzio breed

nice and thick and creamy
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Or perhaps the Norton.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^How legit is this company?
Quote by NeverMeant
generally the more legit the company the more average and mass produced their pickups are. If you want custom made ones, highorderpickups.com sells custom pickups that he makes himself email him and telll him what your looking for and he will make the best pickups considering its like 155 a pair so 75 bucks for a custom pickup is not too shabby and he has like 15 magnets to choose from and multile wiring and sheilding options.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
Quote by sloppyjoe109

very legit. Great pups as well.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
^Cool guys, thanks for all the help!

EDIT: How hot is the SH-14? On the descriptions it says less gain than an Alnico II.
Quote by NeverMeant
Last edited by sloppyjoe109 at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by sloppyjoe109
I mean... it's legit. Just as legit as Seymour Duncan's Custom shop, only with better service.

Go run a search for WCRs on the Gear Page or the Les Paul Forum.

Quote by sloppyjoe109
^Cool guys, thanks for all the help!

EDIT: How hot is the SH-14? On the descriptions it says less gain than an Alnico II.
Alnico II is a magnet, not a pickup, but I'm pretty sure the SH-14 is a custom 5? It's a hot pickup and an A5 magnet is more powerful than an A2 magnet which will give you more highs, more lows, less mids and more output. The Alnico II pro (if that's what you're talking about) pickup is a very low output, transparent pickup. Probably the lowest that Duncan has in it's standard lineup.
^Cool, yeah its a 5.
Quote by NeverMeant
So I have tried a little more extreme settings on my amp and I'm liking the sound of the SG a bit better.

As far as bass/mid/treble goes, I'll be good.

I still think it sounds too muddy, should I still get the SH-14?
Quote by NeverMeant