How are Hagstrom guitars?

What do they sound/feel like?

Looking into them...

Discuss!

-JJ
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
I once tried a few. They are versatile because of the pick-up splitter, and the neck was okay.
But my new PRS Santana SE smashed it, the sound has way more character than the flat sound of a Hagstrom.

but if I ever have some money too much I might consider buying one because the massive body is nice for hard-rock...
^I was actually confused about that extra toggle switch, that makes the humbucker into a single coil I assume?

EDIT: Anyone else tried one?
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Last edited by sloppyjoe109 at Sep 22, 2009,
^ Yep. It's what coil splitter does
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

the one i tried was alright, but i wasn't exactly blown away, either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I played a gold top super swede the other week and would have bought it if I had the money, the neck was insane reminded me of some of my ibanezs and it just had a great feel and sound, I defiantly plan on getting one soonish, I played it through a ac 30 and fender deluxe reverb, I like them alot
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
I played one of the big Jazzboxes. It sounded pretty jazzy. The neck was nice, finish was beautiful, frets were done well.

Very good for $600.
I have never played any of the new Hagstroms (like after they were bought out and ressurected) but my bandmate has a old Hagstrom 3, made in Sweden somewhere between 1964 and 1973 I think and that think really blows me away. It has sort of a Strat sound with a surf twang, but IMO it blows the Fenders out of the water. If their quality and product is anything like it used to be I say go for it.
How are they for pop/rock?
Quote by NeverMeant
The old Swedish ones are incredible. They feel and sound much better than any Gibson I've tried and are built to last. I don't know a whole lot about the new ones.
I loved the Viking Deluxe that they had. I saw Frank Zappa playing one, and his son Dweezil was endorsing them on his GW video, so I decided to try one.

They are just as warm and as fat as any Gibson. I absolutely love it. And for half the cost! When I buy a hollowbody, it will definitely be a Hagstrom.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
i love hagstroms! i've got a super swede, an xl-5(not as good as i hoped) and soon i'm trading a bass amp for a viking.
the swede isn't as edgy as a gibson but it has a cool, smooth dark tone which sounds really good for stoner and classic rock and metal. i wouldn't buy one in the hope it will sound like a paul but it sounds fantastic in its own right. probably a bit dark for pop.
the viking is probably the best of the lot. gorgeous tone and takes overdrive really well. can't wait to get it!
Quote by sloppyjoe109
^I was actually confused about that extra toggle switch, that makes the humbucker into a single coil I assume?

It's not a coil-tap, it's a filter.

Swedes sound great and their necks are super slim but without the awkward profile of an Ibanez Wizard.

Eventually I'd like to get a Swede with a Phat Cat and a Super Distortion in it.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
It's not a coil-tap, it's a filter.

Swedes sound great and their necks are super slim but without the awkward profile of an Ibanez Wizard.

Eventually I'd like to get a Swede with a Phat Cat and a Super Distortion in it.

on the regular swedes its a filter and on the super swedes theres a coil tap. the tap isn't too bad either, on the middle position with coil tapping you can get a nice strat like honk going.