Hello UG-

I was wondering, is there a big tonal/sound difference between a tube combo with one 12'' speaker and a combo with two 12''ers? Also, does the sound change radically with a cabinet?

I will primarily be playing in a bedroom, so maximum volume is not really necessary.

Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
If your playing in a bedroom, go with the 1x12. 2x12 is going to be a lot louder. But on the other hand, it's not SO loud as to be hard to play at low volumes, and one day you might want to play somewhere other than your room. The 2x12 is loud enough to play with a full band, easily. The only real difference is volume. Given that, you can decide what's best.
R.I.P. Dime Bag Darrell!
member#13 of the official lindsay lohan fan club
Member #20 of the Nirvana Fan Club
aside of the weight issue and all of that, think of speakers as pushing air. The more speakers you have, the more air you push, ie... it will seem louder, tonal differences yes, depending on the amp and the speakers, it could be more trebly, you could get a more "tight response from a bass perspective. There are a lot of variables that come into all of this. Its not as straight forward as you would expect. But certainly louder

also, if youre gigging, most venues these days have pa's where they mic you up. They only mic one speaker anyways, so it begs the question, will the other speakers make that much difference to your tone when only one speaker is mic'ed??

In my opinion, a 1x12 is sufficient. Ive had cabs and 2x12's and all of this, and yed cabs look cool and all of that, but carrying it all is a pain in the arse after youve gigged enough.

Go with what you likethough... everyone has their likes and dislikes and thoughts on whats practical and not
Last edited by guidothepimmp at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by guidothepimmp
aside of the weight issue and all of that, think of speakers as pushing air. The more speakers you have, the more air you push, ie... it will seem louder, tonal differences yes, depending on the amp and the speakers, it could be more trebly, you could get a more "tight response from a bass perspective. There are a lot of variables that come into all of this. Its not as straight forward as you would expect. But certainly louder

also, if youre gigging, most venues these days have pa's where they mic you up. They only mic one speaker anyways, so it begs the question, will the other speakers make that much difference to your tone when only one speaker is mic'ed??

In my opinion, a 1x12 is sufficient. Ive had cabs and 2x12's and all of this, and yed cabs look cool and all of that, but carrying it all is a pain in the arse after youve gigged enough.

Go with what you likethough... everyone has their likes and dislikes and thoughts on whats practical and not

I definately wouldn't say that a cab with more speakers is any louder than a cab with less speakers... That all depends on the poweramp.

But as to the rest...
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Wow, some horrible horrible answers in here, except ^.

A 100 watt amp through a 2x12 is NOT LOUDER than a 100 watt amp through a 1x12. As Guido said, it will push more air, and seem more full, however decibel wise it is NOT LOUDER. So contrary to the terrible advice you've been given, don't even consider volume in this decision.

The main difference will be how the sound fills a room. 2x12s push more air than one, in two different places (duh.) So the result will be a 'bigger' sound, and depending on the cab and speaker possibly more low end.

I would base your decision on the amount of money you want to spend, the hassle of carrying the cab, and the quality of your choices. I would take an Avatar 1x12 with a V30, over a Peavey 4x12 with stock speakers any day. So if you are planning on buying a cheaper construction cab to able to afford the 2x12 definitely don't do it.

Sorry for the rant, this thread just made me so I had to try to clear it up.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Wow, some horrible horrible answers in here, except ^.

A 100 watt amp through a 2x12 is NOT LOUDER than a 100 watt amp through a 1x12. As Guido said, it will push more air, and seem more full, however decibel wise it is NOT LOUDER. So contrary to the terrible advice you've been given, don't even consider volume in this decision.

The main difference will be how the sound fills a room. 2x12s push more air than one, in two different places (duh.) So the result will be a 'bigger' sound, and depending on the cab and speaker possibly more low end.

I would base your decision on the amount of money you want to spend, the hassle of carrying the cab, and the quality of your choices. I would take an Avatar 1x12 with a V30, over a Peavey 4x12 with stock speakers any day. So if you are planning on buying a cheaper construction cab to able to afford the 2x12 definitely don't do it.

Sorry for the rant, this thread just made me so I had to try to clear it up.

I agree so much with the last line.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Yeah a 2x12 won't be any "louder" than the 1x12. The 2x12 will have better bass response but, it will be slightly heavier.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by Darkflame
you are hesitating between the mg250dfx and mg100dfx aren't you XD

haha the funny thing about that is the fact that I actually have an MG250DFX and it is time for an upgrade (it really isn't that bad).

- I am thinking about the Peavey 6505 212 or 112 that is coming out soon.... but the Marshall JCM 2000 is always in my thoughts as well.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

2x12's sseem a lot louder. because there are twice as many speakers, it pushes a lot more air around meaning you percieve a higher volume, even if its the same wattage a 2x12 amp is going to be "perceived" as louder (it actually isn't any louder, but its going to feel/sound that way)

Quote by Richmanofaction
haha the funny thing about that is the fact that I actually have an MG250DFX and it is time for an upgrade (it really isn't that bad).

- I am thinking about the Peavey 6505 212 or 112 that is coming out soon.... but the Marshall JCM 2000 is always in my thoughts as well.

the peavey 112 is one of a good deal might i add. amazing amp, even more amazing price. i would take that over the marshall.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Sep 22, 2009,
^huh?

Number 1 - a 212 combo, everything else being equal, will be approximately 3 db louder than a 112. Yes, it will sound fuller with more being pushed etc.

Number 2 - the 6505 112 has not even hit the streets yet, so how can you make that claim? Not to mention the fact that it is made in China. Honestly though, I hope you are right.

Quote by Richmanofaction

i actually like the 250dfx, honestly, it's got a nice clean tone (and a terribly horrible overdrive, but i mostly play clean or clean w/ fuzz, anyways)
Quote by Darkflame
i actually like the 250dfx, honestly, it's got a nice clean tone (and a terribly horrible overdrive, but i mostly play clean or clean w/ fuzz, anyways)

If you pair the amp's distortion with an overdrive pedal it sounds pretty good. I keep my gain at about half to 3/4ths full, and then let the tonedriver do the rest of the work.

With the purchase of my soloist however, I feel my guitar has outgrown my amp.

I hope the 112 turns out to be as great of an amp as it is promising to be. Otherwise, I might just be patient and save up for the JCM 2000.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion