Me and my dad finished building this 2x12 a few weeks ago and we designed it to have a very large internal volume which should have been great for a good cage-rattling bass but even with bass turned up all the way on my H&K Switchblade, it still doesn't pulse through my chest as much as I thought it would. I was expecting it to be like sitting next to a sub on your home theater system. Did we do something wrong? The only explanations I can think of are:

- We did something wrong

-H&K Switchblade has little bass to start with

-Bad pickups (I have to use the neck pickup because the other ones are single coil and sound like poop on high gain)

-Old tubes? (it's a used amp and I just started playing it recently so I don't really know it's background very well)

Is there anything we can do?

Another thing I noticed about the cab is that when I sit directly in front of the speakers, it doesn't sound as good as if I sit on the side of the cab. Is this normal?

I think I should go test my theories on why there seems to be little bass by going to guitar center with both the head and the cab and try them both with different amps/cabs. That way I'll find out what the real problem is. I really hope that it's the head's fault because then I can just put a EQ pedal in front of it.

Also, would an EQ pedal or an overdrive pedal help me get what I'm looking for here? I know what an EQ pedal does but an overdrive pedal still confuses me, I guess I'll have to try one out for myself.
Last edited by gtrplyr at Sep 22, 2009,
I use a H&K Switchblade and it definitely doesn't suffer a lack of low-end (in fact, I often had sound guys asking me to turn down the bass before I became more accustomed to the amp's nuances!) though the H&K VC412 cab did contribute to it.

Try and measure the frequency response of your cab at ±1.5dB and if you find that you're getting very little around the 50Hz and lower band it could be that you've built a cabinet which doesn't resonate well at low frequencies, or you've selected poor-quality speakers for it.

Need more info really to help you, though I'm sure someone else can give you better advice... I'm just going into 2nd year at uni doing a Sound Engineering degree lol.

Edit: The way you're describing it I doubt it's the tubes. Also, if you move to the side it's bound to sound different because the low frequencies have a different wavelength to the high frequencies and the further to the side you go, the less high-end you're going to hear.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I use a H&K Switchblade and it definitely doesn't suffer a lack of low-end (in fact, I often had sound guys asking me to turn down the bass before I became more accustomed to the amp's nuances!) though the H&K VC412 cab did contribute to it.

Try and measure the frequency response of your cab at ±1.5dB and if you find that you're getting very little around the 50Hz and lower band it could be that you've built a cabinet which doesn't resonate well at low frequencies, or you've selected poor-quality speakers for it.

Need more info really to help you, though I'm sure someone else can give you better advice... I'm just going into 2nd year at uni doing a Sound Engineering degree lol.

Edit: The way you're describing it I doubt it's the tubes. Also, if you move to the side it's bound to sound different because the low frequencies have a different wavelength to the high frequencies and the further to the side you go, the less high-end you're going to hear.

its certainly not poor speaker choice. I chose the celestion with the best low-end (that they stated).

also how do i measure the frequency response
Quote by gtrplyr
its certainly not poor speaker choice. I chose the celestion with the best low-end (that they stated).

also how do i measure the frequency response

There are different ways of measuring frequency response, but probably the most convenient for you would be to get a signal/sine wave generator, or something to play test tones with and hook it up to your cab, and then place an SPL meter directly in-front of the cab, level with the centre of the cones, a couple of feet away (ideally on a stand of some kind to reduce any bass vibration from the floor; also raise the cab off the floor if you can, with a cushion or something absorbent).

You then take the readings (in dB) from the SPL meter when various test tones are played and plot them all on a graph. Then draw a line of best fit through all the points and draw on a 'cut-off' line 3dB below the centrepoint of the signal and see where the low-end gets cut-off.

Most people say that anything below -9dB will become low in the mix and hard to make out, when a signal of wide bandwidth is played through the speaker.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
by ported he means is there a way for the air to flow into the cab or is it completely sealed?
sometimes the port help with the low end frequencies... think about it like a sounds system in a car.

the best box for a subwoofer is a ported non ban pass box. so that means your speakers sit on the outside and you have air flowing in.

so if you port your cab it very well may help with the bass problem
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
Quote by SchecterFreak
by ported he means is there a way for the air to flow into the cab or is it completely sealed?
sometimes the port help with the low end frequencies... think about it like a sounds system in a car.

the best box for a subwoofer is a ported non ban pass box. so that means your speakers sit on the outside and you have air flowing in.

so if you port your cab it very well may help with the bass problem

that may be the problem, the only part that could have a possibility of air leak is in the back because thats the only part that we didnt seal up with sealer
^What he said. Google: ported bass cabinet. You basically cut a hole in the cab, and insert a tube. The size of the hole and tube length, will be determined by the volume(size) of the cab. There are sites with formulas to figure out what size you should use. It should help you get that chest thump you're looking for.
Quote by chokmool
^What he said. Google: ported bass cabinet. You basically cut a hole in the cab, and insert a tube. The size of the hole and tube length, will be determined by the volume(size) of the cab. There are sites with formulas to figure out what size you should use. It should help you get that chest thump you're looking for.

oh you mean like these things?
yes. those things. but you dont necissarily need two. you may need four small ones or one large one depeneding on the cab. pics would help us figure it out.
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
Quote by SchecterFreak
yes. those things. but you dont necissarily need two. you may need four small ones or one large one depeneding on the cab. pics would help us figure it out.

you want pictures of the cab? ill get them up in a little bit
yeah pics of the cab please. and dimensions of it if you would.
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
Quote by SchecterFreak
yeah pics of the cab please. and dimensions of it if you would.

29.125"h x 22.5"w x 15"d

pictures coming soon
Having the speakers wired out of phase with each other will give poor bass response.
Please make a drawing of the wiring.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by gtrplyr
http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/2x12wiring.html

We wired it in parallel just like that diagram says
That's simple enough. Look again to be certain the (+) connections from both speaker are joined together and the (-) connections from both speakers are joined together. If so, you can remove "out of phase" from the list of possibilities.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
That's simple enough. Look again to be certain the (+) connections from both speaker are joined together and the (-) connections from both speakers are joined together. If so, you can remove "out of phase" from the list of possibilities.

I'm positive that we didn't wire it wrong, we checked it over 5 times each because I didn't want to destroy 250 dollars worth of speakers