I decided to take an advanced woodworking class this year and we get to build whatever we want and since I don't have a hardcase for my guitar yet, I thought that would be a fun thing to build. Does anyone have any designs or are you going to make me draw it up in AutoCad .

Things I need to know:

what type of wood would be best to use? (something very lightweight preferably)
what type of joint would be best?
what should I use for the molding around the guitar and what should I use to cut it?

Also if there is anything else I should know before I start drawing then please let me know!
I'm currently in the process of making a flight case, which may or may not help you.

I used 6mm plywood, with a plastic coating added for reinforcement and cosmetic value. This might well not be of any use to you if you're trying to demonstrate skill with wood, but it does allow considerable strength for light weight.

As far as joints go, I'm using aluminium that's specifically made for the purpose along all the edges. Again, this might not be of any help unless you can incorporate other skills, but hey. If you want to make it purely out of wood (warning: this will be heavier), then I'd say a dovetail joint for the tensile strength, but this will require thicker wood than I've used.

Foam is your best bet for lining the case, and it's very easy to cut. Obtain a suitable sheet, enough to cover both the top and bottom of the case, then just cut it with a Stanley knife or similar. Warning: if you're gluing it in, make sure the glue you use doesn't melt the foam, there's some that will.
Quote by Samzawadi
I'm currently in the process of making a flight case, which may or may not help you.

I used 6mm plywood, with a plastic coating added for reinforcement and cosmetic value. This might well not be of any use to you if you're trying to demonstrate skill with wood, but it does allow considerable strength for light weight.

As far as joints go, I'm using aluminium that's specifically made for the purpose along all the edges. Again, this might not be of any help unless you can incorporate other skills, but hey. If you want to make it purely out of wood (warning: this will be heavier), then I'd say a dovetail joint for the tensile strength, but this will require thicker wood than I've used.

Foam is your best bet for lining the case, and it's very easy to cut. Obtain a suitable sheet, enough to cover both the top and bottom of the case, then just cut it with a Stanley knife or similar. Warning: if you're gluing it in, make sure the glue you use doesn't melt the foam, there's some that will.

im really not trying to demonstrate skill with wood because i could care less about the grade i get, i just want a hardcase (or flight case, same thing). and no the whole thing does not need to be made out of wood.
well you should care about the grade. your education will take you everywhere. but. i still think your best bet is to try and mimic samzawadi's flight case. you would need different specs on it but he has done a really good job so far.
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
Just to check - flightcase being like this

They're heavy things, and not for the faint-hearted or for general carrying, really. If you want that sort of level of protection, though, plywood sides reinforced with aluminium strips on the edges (these also hold the wood together, you rivet them on), covered with reinforcing plastic and with heavy steel corner pieces is definitely the way forward. There'll be pictures up in my build thread tomorrow of the metalwork I'm doing (this is quite well-timed, actually :p.

Building a case like this will need a saw that can cut aluminium, a riveter, and not really any other special tools, wherever you're doing the project should have all of them.
ya im not going to do all that aluminum stuff, the only hardware other than wood would be a handle, latches, corners, foam, and maybe some inside compartment things.
I would strongly recommend the aluminum edges. The aluminum is surprisingly easy to work with-- You can cut it easily with a hacksaw and a homemade miter box. Not only does it protect the edges-- wood dents and chips pretty easily-- but it also makes a decent case look professional.
Cutting it and all isn't a problem I just don't want it because it doesn't appeal to me asthetically