Ok, so ive finally got a decent group of musicians and we've been jamming and now that were getting ready to gig ive decided its time to get rid of my crappy equiptment ( not even gonna say it, but no its not an mg :-P ). I decided i should go with a new amp first and since it will benefit me more now and in the long run im gonna go tube. Ive researched a lot of amps and i really like the b-52 AT series. Its cheap and the 60 watts would be more than loud enough for practices and we have a PA anyways. However, ive heard about some reliability issues with them. I found this at the local music go round but i haven't gotten around to check it out yet. http://www.musicgoround.com/detail.aspx?id=869630

It is almost $100 less than buying new and it comes with a footswitch which i was gonna have to buy anyways. The only thing im worried is that it is one of the older unreliable models. How exactly can i tell when i go to check it out and eventually buy it?

Also, most people say tone comes primarily from the amp so am i defintly better off getting a decent amp and then saving up for a better guitar?

Thanks for all the help and i really just wanna know if this is a good choice, and what to do and how to tell if its the unreliable model. Thanks!
Crappy guitar+awesome amp=Good tone, Crappy amp+Awesome Guitar=crappy tone. For sure a good amp will take you a long way as long as your guitar is playable and the intonation is decent. As far as amps go whats the budget, style of music do you play and location?
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by Johnbryant
Crappy guitar+awesome amp=Good tone, Crappy amp+Awesome Guitar=crappy tone. For sure a good amp will take you a long way as long as your guitar is playable and the intonation is decent. As far as amps go whats the budget, style of music do you play and location?

Alright. Well my budget is pretty wide, see im cashing in my savings bonds so it could be anywhere from 0 through like $800. the reason i was looking at the b-52 is because its cheap loud and from what ive heard sounds pretty awesome. We play a lot of stuff ranging from punk to classic rock to metal to grunge. I guess i dont really need a new guitar but mine is really crappy, i keep it in good condition check the intonation often and what not, it just has really crappy sustain and the pickups suck all around. Its a squier but idk i just couldn't see myself gigging with it. IF worse comes to worse i can use my friends epi sp standard for gigs but id eventually like to get a good guitar of my own.
^Thats alot of styles, which do you play the most, and what are some bands that you like the guitar tone of?

Edit: off the top, Peavey Classic 30, Triple X, JSX, 5150/6505. Mesa DC, F series, Nomad, single Recto. It's really hard to say without knowing what your looking for
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Last edited by Johnbryant at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by Johnbryant
^Thats alot of styles, which do you play the most, and what are some bands that you like the guitar tone of?

Edit: off the top, Peavey Classic 30, Triple X, JSX, 5150/6505. Mesa DC, F series, Nomad, single Recto. It's really hard to say without knowing what your looking for

Yeah i know i mean we're doing a lot of greenday, not cause we suck just cause its easy.Also sex pistols, clash, maybe some vandals. So a lot of punk. We also do Nirvana, a lot of stuff off of bleach, and i guess just stuff like that. None of those sounds are hard to get so im not really looking for an expensive amp. Could the b-52 handle that at least?
I just got the b52 at112 today, yes it should be able handle that at least...(wont be home to play mine till tonight)

I will do a review of it and try to have it ready this weekend, but i play metal..heavy, metal...\m/
^The B52 would work, you only expressed concerns about reliability, For punk really anything goes, a couple amps to look into that are better quality than the B-52 and about the same price would be the Peavey Classic 30 or 50 and Marshall dsl401.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
So does anyone know if there is any other differences, other than no fan in the older ones? Cause im not sure which one it is.