Hey, a little bit of help needed please

Basically, i want to know how to sing over a piece of backing music, (it'll make more sense in a second).

Lets say i've got my drums down, my bass down and my guitar, all in the key of (example) E.

How would i add vocals over it so that it'd sound good? Would i need to be singing in the key of E? As i can match notes in the key of E with my voice, it's just that it sounds boring when i sing over it (when my vocals are matching the notes played on the instruments at the same time they are played.)

Like, say the bass and guitar progression went G# F# E (over and over) should i sing those notes over it, at the same time, so sing a G# over the G# being played on the bass/guitar.

I want to know how singers in bands do this, how do they decide on a melody and what pitch to sing over the music, for example anthony kiedis on desecration smile (is he singing in the same key as the music?)

EDIT: Sorry guys, it's just come to me what i've been trying to say that is when i sing, how can i sing over music without singing in harmony with the notes being played and having it still sound good?

Sorry if this is confusing, my english isn't great

Thanks for any help.
There's riddles in the shadows
They're thrown the way that i'd expect
And people never seem to know
What they least suspect is coming next
Last edited by M_G at Sep 22, 2009,
I'm not really a "schooled" singer... but when I've written my own material, I just kinda hum a melody to the instrumental parts I have (usually just an acoustic guitar) and then put words on the melody. If you're not hearing very well what you're singing you might try and get help form a friend or so that can tell help you to get on-pitch.

Also, in what pitch as in actave you're singing I think depends alot on your own preferences. How do you feel most comfortable, like.
I wrote guitar for someone's vocals, and I was told to write the riffs to the pitch of their voice. They sang in A, I wrote my riffs in A, but I was tuned a half step down, and people said it sounded "off."

So, my advice is to sing in the key you're using.
Singing in the same key, yes. However don't limit yourself by thinking bout it too much. Just sing the melody the same way you would play it on guitar.
If it helps, play the melody on guitar and sing it at the same time.

On the chord progression part, you don't have to sing the exact same notes either.
And your English is just fine.

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
But when i sing in the key of the song, how do i not sing in harmony with the notes/chords being played and have it sound good?
I think it would be better if you showed us an example of your song.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
Quote by Andragon
I think it would be better if you showed us an example of your song.

It's a metaphorical song

I was just giving an example.

I think my origonal post is a bit confusing admitedly, so i'm not expecting anyone to be able to come up with an answer

Let me try again, when you lot have some music and you're ready to sing over it with your lyrics, how do you go about this process? Do you just sing over it until you find something that fits?
I think I see what you mean now.
It's a different process for everyone.
As a vocalist myself, it just hits me. I'm sitting there listening to the song and I may just start improvising until I find something I like.

My melody either follows the guitar or is sung across it. [Think: Ozzy follows the melody of the guitar like Iron Man, but Dio sings "across" the guitar melody like Heaven and Hell]
And my rhythm usually follows the drums [in measures and bars].

Last edited by Andragon at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by Andragon
I think I see what you mean now.
It's a different process for everyone.
As a vocalist myself, it just hits me. I'm sitting there listening to the song and I may just start improvising until I find something I like.

My melody either follows the guitar or is sung across it. [Think: Ozzy follows the melody of the guitar like Iron Man, but Dio sings "across" the guitar melody like Heaven and Hell]
And my rhythm usually follows the drums [in measures and bars].

Thank you!
Quote by M_G
But when i sing in the key of the song, how do i not sing in harmony with the notes/chords being played and have it sound good?

You can't.

You either sing the same notes or sing a harmony - anything else is likely to not sound good.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You can't.

You either sing the same notes or sing a harmony - anything else is likely to not sound good.

Oh okay.

But like in this song when he's singing, is he singing the same notes as the music? (it's desecration smile by the chili peppers, vocals come in at 0.36)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8gi83Y_THg&feature=related