Hey,

I recently got a new bass (Rickenbacker copy) that's considerably bigger and more expensive than my previous one, to the extent that it won't fit in the hard case. Given as I fly about six-eight times a year with the bass (to/from university) it's quite important that I have something that will take punishment and keep the bass intact. The only flight cases I could find that would fit it were somewhere in the region of £150, however, so I decided to build my own.

Made from plywood, plastic reinforcement and aluminium, with steel fixtures. Hopefully a foam lining, too, if I can find foam at short notice, but if not bubblewrap will suffice for its first outing.

Oh, and it's *massive*. 50" x 18" x 5". This is what happens when you allow for a couple of inches of foam. Might trim that down a little bit, particularly in terms of thickness, but if I can't find the foam, I might need all that space to pad it effectively.

Wood

Aluminium sides

Wood with the covering being added. Impact adhesive is not fun to work with.

Wood now covered.

Fixtures, to be added tomorrow when I assemble the whole thing.

So far it's proven suprisingly easy, possibly because the hard bits haven't happened. Does make me question why people who can build their own guitars still buy cases, though.
Quote by Samzawadi
So far it's proven suprisingly easy, possibly because the hard bits haven't happened. Does make me question why people who can build their own guitars still buy cases, though.

Some of us do actually, looks nice, pics of the bass in the case when finished are required though
Oh, yeah, not saying that nobody does, just that there's lots less build threads for cases than for guitars...
hey sam. got a quick question for you.

i have a new tube amp that i need to have a case built for.... do you think it would be much different then what your doing? i mean ill have to use thicker wood just for the strength but i dont think other then hardware and design essentially that it would be too much more difficult. do you?
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason

i have a new tube amp that i need to have a case built for.... do you think it would be much different then what your doing? i mean ill have to use thicker wood just for the strength but i dont think other then hardware and design essentially that it would be too much more difficult. do you?

I wouldn't even worry too much about the wood strength - possibly use thicker plywood, yeah, but it's not going to be the critical issue. I'd think carefully about the weight, though, and definitely attach wheels (these can just be riveted to the bottom). With a heavy guitar amp in it, the case will start getting impractically difficult to carry very far.
oh i have no intentions of carrying it.... anywhere... lol. but being as i play out... i need to have something to really protect it. so... i dont want to buy a flight case for like 800 bucks... so i decided ill just make one instead.
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
For foam, look at a 1 to 1.5 inch foam mattress topper from Walmart- You can get a solid twin size piece of good cushioning for less than 40 bucks- thats what I've used on Roadcases in the past.
Quote by Samzawadi
Oh, yeah, not saying that nobody does, just that there's lots less build threads for cases than for guitars...

hopefully when i do my build (see mini guitars ) i will also make a case for it, being a "travel" sized guitar, i think its kinda needed, lol.

and because if i make more for other people, i think that makeing a case that fits it, is good.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
And finished, barring the inner foam lining (which might have to wait a while).

It didn't work out perfectly - there's slight deviations from 'square' in places, which totalled out to one side being about 2mm further out in one corner than the rest of the case. You'd have to look pretty closely to spot it, however.

Aluminium being added

Edges being slightly ground down to make the corners fit better

Finished case

And with the bass inside!

If I were doing this again, I'd a) use clamps a bit more rather than doing a lot of the drilling/riveting/cutting unsecured, and b) check I had enough of the f*cking materials before starting. I was a little bit short on the aluminium edging for the join between the two sides, and had to use slightly different stuff to make one of the inner edges (Although you'd be hard-pressed to notice unless you knew about it).

Yes, it is a bit too big for the bass, really. I'm flying with this on Sunday morning, however, and I didn't want to risk whatever makeshift padding I'll be using not fitting properly. You could probably almost fit two guitars in the case - might come in handy sometime...
That's a Dirty Rick(off)! What kind is it and where did you get it?
------

Shwiggity.
It's made by Anniversary (I think they're a subsidiary of Tokai) and I bought it in Cambridge. Very good bass, but it's also really big.

Update: If anyone decides to copy this build, I would very strongly recommend adding wheels. The bass+case weigh over 18kg.