Hope this is the right forum, I figured it would be since you guys are the ones that build and customize stuff.

So I own a Crate BFX50, it was my first amp. I since got a better one, but I'd like to plug up to both of them for extra clarity. The problem, the input jack on the amp doesn't seem to work so well.

Ive opened it up and taken a look at it, I never damaged anything.

If you plug the cable into the input jack and turn the amp on, nothing happens. If you wiggle the jack and the cord around a bunch you'll get some crackling and if you hold it in just the right spot, you can get it to work.

After googling the problem, I discovered this is a common problem with this bass amp and can be easily fixed by re-soldering the jack. After opening up the amp and taking the EQ-board out to do this, I find I cant figure out exzactly what to solder.

The jack unit sits right on top of the circuit board, and it just wiggles around. I dont see any wires connected to it, and when i try to pull it off it just wiggles around.

I dont want to pull on it to hard, becuase that just doesnt seem like the right thing to do.

So, If anyone can give me any information on how to remove the jack, or just give me a discription on what exzactly I need to solder, it would be much appreciated.

I already called the local repair shop. This guy installed my pickups for me for 50 bucks, but after explaining to him the situation over the phone he wants $79.99 to repair the amp.

Not happening.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
$80 is excessive for that repair. If you could take a picture, I could tell you what you want to solder.

I have a feeling solder isn't the problem, but a pic will help.
I'll try to get you that picture by ethier tonight or noon tomorrow, check back with me please.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Vypor
The jack unit sits right on top of the circuit board, and it just wiggles around. I dont see any wires connected to it, and when i try to pull it off it just wiggles around.

I dont want to pull on it to hard, becuase that just doesnt seem like the right thing to do.

So, If anyone can give me any information on how to remove the jack, or just give me a discription on what exzactly I need to solder, it would be much appreciated.
If you flipped the board upside down, so the jack was below the board, the jack looks something like this:

The tabs pointed up in that pic go through the board and are soldered to the foil traces. Maybe a solder joint between a tab and the board has failed. Or maybe you'll need to de-solder all the joints and replace the jack itself.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I got those pictures ready. I tried to take them best as I could. The post above seems to be on the right track though, im not sure how I'd go about getting under the board.

The second one on this page is the one you'd need if you find you need to replace it:

http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/foxweb.dll/catalog@d:/dfs/elevclients/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?PAGE=SUBCAT&SEARCH_TREE01=10_JACKS/PLUGS&SEARCH_TREE02=02_PLASTIC

I'd try reflowing the old solder first though.

The best/harder way to do it would be to remove the board. This would consist of taking all the knobs off, removing all nuts on the pots, possibly (temporarily) desoldering some wires, etc. Then you'd just use a soldering iron on the solder. Heat until it becomes liquid (Should take about 3 seconds on each joint) and allow it to cool back to a solid (Which again shuld take about 3 seconds).

OR

If you are EXTREMELY (actually not that extreme, but still) careful, and you have a pencil type soldering iron, you can try the following method. Take the amp out of the chassis, and flip it upside down. Poke your soldering iron into the side, and warm up the old solder joints as described above. Be careful not to touch any other components (for an measureable amount of time). You way want to hold the jack up in position with a good insulating material so that it doesn't fall. This isn't likely to happen unless the old solder job was very shoddy.
Alright, thanks much! I gotta go to class right now but im gonna try to get this fixed tonight. I appreciate the help a whole lot!

I'll get back to you and tell you if I got it fixed or if I ran into any other problems by tomorrow.
Well thanks man. I opened it up, disconnected the speaker wire (because it was pretty short and didn't allow me any freedom of movement) Then I took off all the knobs and nuts. Unscrewed the circuit board and tilted it slightly so I had more room underneath to solder with.

Did my best, the jack didn't wiggle anymore and seemed pretty secure. So I packed up and put everything back together.

Plugged it in, turned it on - and everything worked. I was pretty happy.

Then I touched the cable where the input is - just slightly. It now seems I'm back at square one.

But at least I know what I need to do, and that I just need to do a better soldering job.

Thanks much for the help, saved me 80 bucks!