I am a 25 year player and have always played high gain humbuckers.

I now own a SRV Strat - my first strat ever - and I really love the guitar.

The Problem: the 1st, 3rd, and 5th position really buzzes/hums and at stage volume is not pleasant.

I understand that this is somewhat common, however I know there has to be a method or technique to control this.

Any help please??
Muting. A lot of guitar players have no problem with this, but it also depends on how close you're to your amp.

Otherwise, you can shield the inside of your pickguard which takes away from hum.
When you're not playing, roll the volume down. It's quick and really easy with about 5 minutes practise.

Or change the pickups to some Vintage Noiseless things or something.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Muting. A lot of guitar players have no problem with this, but it also depends on how close you're to your amp.

Otherwise, you can shield the inside of your pickguard which takes away from hum.

This is your best bet unless you wanted to go for noiseless pickups or something but obviously they'd change your sound.
What I do, is when I'm not playing just switch to 2nd or 4th position, it takes away the hum and you can just switch back quickly when you want to use a single pickup.
Thats what I have been doing Turkeyburger, that or just settling for one of those settings instead of the desired setting.

I am surprised that a brand new Fender SRV would come without proper sheilding on the pick guard. What would you recomend to shield it with FallsDown Stairs? I have never performed that type of operation.
Quote by pgreen29
Thats what I have been doing Turkeyburger, that or just settling for one of those settings instead of the desired setting.

I am surprised that a brand new Fender SRV would come without proper sheilding on the pick guard. What would you recomend to shield it with FallsDown Stairs? I have never performed that type of operation.

As far as I know, no strats come with it. You have to shield it yourself.

I heard shielding with copper works. I've never done it, I don't experience the problem at all, even when I play through my friend's Plexi.
I've sheilded all of my guitars. What I did on my crappy strat was take off the pickguard, stick some tin foil to the back of it, cut it to size, and make the pickup holes. Then I re-assembled the pickguard and re-attatched it. It took a good few hours, but much of that was rewiring (I purchased new pots, the old ones were crappy and scratchy)

I cant really say how much it helped though, because i can't remember. I was away for a week before i rewired it and didnt have a chance to play through an amp before. The hum in the neck and middle positions is tolerable now, but not as good as neck+mid.

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php is a really good article, pretty much what I followed.

Good luck!
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158