Hello all, I'm new to the forums. I hope to visit here often as this place seems to-- well, rock! I Have been into electronics for quite some time-- nothing super-advanced, but I know my way around my wires, and have recently learned some of what I need to know in the guitar world.

My question is, I'm placing a small PCB board into my guitar for an effect, it's a toy I modded to do so. I know it work's as a pedal or 'stompbox' outside the guitar with some adapters, it does it's job. It has a stereo 1/8ths headphone-sized male jack for it's input and a stereo 1/8th's female output jack. It has a 3volt power supply (2 AA Batteries) I want to make sure of a few things before I go soldering such! My question is as follows:

1) Can I (and should I ) route the hot-end of my guitar cable (from amp) to the input jack of the toy, and if so-- do i attach them to both stereo inputs (tip and second section of male jack) or the farthest back edge (3rd section ground)?

2) would I want to hook up my PCB board so that the signal hits the board, then pickups etc, then out. Or should it go to the pickups, PCD board, and out
to amp.

I hope this isn't confusing-- it's getting to be that way for me. If you need me to elaborate I would be more than happy. I appreciate anyone who can help!

Sminc
1) I hope you don't mean you are running signal from your amp to your guitar. This is dangerous. Signal should flow from the guitar to the amp.

If you want to use the new box inside your guitar, I'd remove the old jacks from it. I'd then wire it up true-bypass with a DPDT or 3PDT. 3PDT only if you want an LED.

Check these out. The out would go to the output jack on your guitar. The in comes from the pickups. This will be the signal wire on your 1/4" jack on the guitar.

2) Pickups generate the guitar's signal. It would go
Pickups -> Effect -> Amp
Quote by end_citizen
1) I hope you don't mean you are running signal from your amp to your guitar. This is dangerous. Signal should flow from the guitar to the amp.

I'm sorry-- that's what I meant. Poor explanation.

Quote by end_citizen
If you want to use the new box inside your guitar, I'd remove the old jacks from it. I'd then wire it up true-bypass with a DPDT.

no LED needed . SO one connection bypasses the effect and is a clean signla, the other is routing it to the effect, gotcha.

Quote by end_citizen
2) Pickups generate the guitar's signal. It would go
Pickups -> Effect -> Amp

So the INPUT of the effect should connect ot the OUTPUT wire of the pickups. Then the OUTPUT of the effect would lead to the 'ground wire' leading to the amp, correct?

Thanks for the link as well, I'm absorbing as much as I can
Quote by Sminc

So the INPUT of the effect should connect ot the OUTPUT wire of the pickups. Then the OUTPUT of the effect would lead to the 'ground wire' leading to the amp, correct?

Thanks for the link as well, I'm absorbing as much as I can

The output of the effect should lead to the hot wire that goes to the amp.

This pic is what your 1/4" jack should look like. The signal is carried on the "Tip" and the ground is on the "Ring." Desolder the "Tip" connection, and connect it to the position on the switch that the "Input Jack Tip" would go to. Then the "Output Jack Tip" goes to the 1/4" jack's tip.

These are in relation to the pdf I linked to in my previous response.
Gotcha, I had it backwards I think. So the PCB will go between the Tip, and the electronics that normally connect to it.

I guess I didn't know as much as I thought :-\

Thanks a ton
Last edited by Sminc at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by Sminc

ummmm me thinks :P

the input of the effect should go to the bypass switch

the output should then splice with the Hotwire on the output jack

ground the effect to one of the pots

if its battery powerd you will need a stereo jack and ground the negitive on the
other pin on the jack so that the battery will only work when theres a cable in the output jack

and then place the bypass swich in btween the live wire coming from the hot terminal on the jack and the last switch, pot ect
Quote by wiliscool
When You Type Like That I Hear Brick Tamland's Voice In My Head.