Basically, I LOVE the way my V-Picks Acoustic glides over the strings while still having a sharp enough point to get a good, bright tone when flatpicking as well as control when tremolo picking. But this was when it was new. I've only had the thing for about a week, and I used it so much that now the points are worn down and the edges are so scratched up it's making a lot of noise. What pick would you recommend for retaining the same tone and playability as the V-Pick without dying in under a week? I was thinking of splurging and going for a Blue Chip TP or TAD. If one of those would be a good choice, which one is closer in size to the V-Picks Acoustic? I've found that it's the perfect size for me. I like pretty big picks because I have my nails long for fingerstyle and with a small pick my thumbnail makes contact with the strings. On the other hand, huge picks are just... huge.

Anyone care to help a picky pick picker?
Quote by i_don't_know
I've only had the thing for about a week, and I used it so much that now the points are worn down and the edges are so scratched up it's making a lot of noise

A week? I smoke picks in about two hours of intense playing. Getting a full week out of any pick isn't terrible at all. If you can, just buy them in bulk or back off on the hard strumming. If you want to try a different brand of pick, I would recommend Fender Mediums. They have never steered me wrong.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by GC Shred Off
A week? I smoke picks in about two hours of intense playing. Getting a full week out of any pick isn't terrible at all. If you can, just buy them in bulk or back off on the hard strumming. If you want to try a different brand of pick, I would recommend Fender Mediums. They have never steered me wrong.

I snap Fender Mediums clean in half in about five hours of playing. The heavy and extra heavy gauges also wear significantly faster than any other pick I've tried. I actually like Dunlop Tortex Sharp picks because they take months to show any significant signs of wear, but their playability is not the best. You don't really get "caught up", but it's noticeably harder to play anything fast with them. You find yourself fighting the pick a lot.

Any thoughts on the BlueChip picks?
Last edited by i_don't_know at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by i_don't_know
Any thoughts on the BlueChip picks?

Nope, but they certainly do look expensive.

EDIT: HOLY HELL!!!! $35 for a pick!?!? NO pick can be that good.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Sep 22, 2009,
You guys must pick like madmen.

I have never worn down a pick in my life..

Do you guys mimic Pete Townshend in the mirror all day?
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
Quote by Chance125
Do you guys mimic Pete Townshend in the mirror all day?

Nope. Pete Townshend mimics us in the mirror all day.
Picks really shouldn't wear down quite that fast, but you shredheads would know more than I on that subject. I've got one that I use from time to time if I want to play loud. I've got a Big Stubby by Dunlop (I know, sick freakin' name right? lol). The thing won't bend, period. I had to do some sanding and shaping of the tip before I liked it enough to use, but now it's pretty nice, and it glides across the strings nice and smooth. But beware you heavy handed pickers, you WILL bust up some strings with it. If you need a long lasting pick, try it out.
Man, this post sounds wrong on soooo many levels.
Dunlop Tortex
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Dunlop's old Bass pick. I cant find it on the site since they dont make it anymore. It is a 2mm beast that will not bend break or wear down. It takes some getting used to since it can break strings if you are to violent and not used to it.
^^^ The one I was talking about is 3mm thick. It's a real brute alright. Look around at music stores for the Big Stubby. The one I got is a clear dark purple color.
Quote by LeftyDave
^^^ The one I was talking about is 3mm thick. It's a real brute alright.

3mm thick?! Might as well be playing with piece of sea-glass!
Quote by GC Shred Off
3mm thick?! Might as well be playing with piece of sea-glass!

The V-pick Diamond is 4.10 mm.

I have one. Good for strumming I guess.. I DARE you to wear out a V-pick diamond.
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

Quote by Chance125
The V-pick Diamond is 4.10 mm.

I have one. Good for strumming I guess.. I DARE you to wear out a V-pick diamond.

The next model up must be an inch thick slab of steel. You guys are crazy for using something like that.
Quote by GC Shred Off
The next model up must be an inch thick slab of steel. You guys are crazy for using something like that.

Nah, I believe their psycho pick is a bit over 5 mm.
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

And their Insanity pick is 11.85mm!!! The thing looks like a chunk out of the bottom of a coke bottle! And I thought my Big Stubby was fat! hahaha
Believe it or not, V-Picks are actually pretty smooth for how ridiculously fat they are. If the tip didn't wear down so easily, they'd be #1 for me. If you like round-tip picks anyway, DEFINITELY try them out for all you naysayers.

And I've decided to try a Blue Chip. From what I've gathered, they're more than worth the $35 they cost because you'll never have to buy a pick again - they last longer than you if you don't lose them.
snarling dogs brain picks... best picks every. i've never worn one down enough to make a tonal difference or snapped one.
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
The best picks I have found are the Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks in 1.0, 1.14, and 1.40. I think I have found my pick of choice.
ROCK'N 6 STRINGS GRINDING PICKS INTO POWDER