Do you understand the major scale, including how its contructed fron notes and intervals? Because Mixolydian is derived from the major scale... if you don't understand the major scale you might find it a pain to understand and to use.
Quote by zhilla
Do you understand the major scale, including how its contructed fron notes and intervals? Because Mixolydian is derived from the major scale... if you don't understand the major scale you might find it a pain to understand and to use.
This.

1) Understand the major scale.
2) Understand that the mixo scale is a major scale with a lowered seventh.

That's all there is to it.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Yeh, i understand the major and pentatonic construction, not that pentatonic will help much
Quote by OtherGuy
Yeh, i understand the major and pentatonic construction, not that pentatonic will help much
Advance to step #2 as explained in my above post and you have your answer then.
-Chick Corea
Quote by OtherGuy
thanks food1010
No prob man.
-Chick Corea
Parallel scales (ie same root), mixo = major with b7

C Maj = C D E F G A B
C Mixo = C D E F G A Bb

Relative scales (ie same notes, different root), mixo is the scale you get if you take the notes of a major scale and make the 5th of the major scale your new tonic

C Maj = C D E F G A B
G Mixo = G A B C D E F

To make it sound mixolydian you're best using either pedal tones to emphasise the root, or a simple vamp that brings out the flavour notes of the mode - for mixo its major (maj 3rd) and has a flat 7th, so building a dominant chord form the root and using that for a vamp is the probably easiest to improv over.
It's formed off of the 5th note of the major scale. So G Mixolydian has the same notes and chords as the C Major scale, but starts on the G note.
Quote by food1010
This.

1) Understand the major scale.
2) Understand that the mixo scale is a major scale with a lowered seventh.

That's all there is to it.

Well, that's most of it..

3) understand the relationship between the Mixolydian mode and it's parent scale. (The Major scale)
shred is gaudy music