Page 1 of 2
i finished reading it the other day (way ahead of the class) but i have one problem. i dont get the meaning of the ending...and i dont wanna ask the teacher because we werent meant to read ahead

so George shoots lennie with a luger, then he walks off with Slim. its the quote at the end that seems misplaced "what the hell you recon is eatin' those two guys?"

why is that there?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Because there's a creature of some sort eating the 'two guys', and the person that you're quoting is wondering what sort of creature it is.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Steinbeck is a genius. but i havent read that book since 9th grade, so i dont really remember it. i liked it, though.

read east of eden, its his best book.
I have no opinion on this matter.
All I can think of is the Megadeth song now.
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
Isn't it because George and Slim are sad that they had to kill Lennie and the others can't understand why since they think he's just a murdering nut case?

I don't remember the book too well, read it like 4 years ago.
steinbeck is the first ameican author i have read books by

usually its people like JK rowling etc.

its like confusing because george just shot his long time friend, would have Curley and Carlson would know what was up.

i like the part where Lennie kills the slag though, shame the dog had to die.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
steinbeck is the first ameican author i have read books by

usually its people like JK rowling etc.

its like confusing because george just shot his long time friend, would have Curley and Carlson would know what was up.

i like the part where Lennie kills the slag though, shame the dog had to die.

Kurt Vonnegut ftmfw.
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
SMH07 is right, the quote highlights the other men's inability to interact on a deeper emotional level. Arguably the men act in such a way because they've been alone for so long in their lives, just travelling from ranch to ranch earning enough money to go and waste it all in town on alcohol and hookers. The story is told beautifully imo, but the message behind it is rather dark.

Oh god, it sounds like a pretentious essay
Say no to drugs, but drink is good...
Yeh, Carlson's not showing any sympathy to them, just like through the whole novel. Really liked it when I read it
DO IT LIVE
thanks dude, you just wrote the basis of my GCSE for me

thats basically what i jsut realised. teacher keeps highlighting that these men are ranchers and spend there 'stake' on booze and *****s.

tbh, i dont quite get why george shot lennie, they could probably of escaped. poor candy, now he gonna get canned for being a useless swamper.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

oh god that book gives me nightmares i like the whole plot of it but the teacher who i had could make anyone fall asleep

and the movies were comical the older version of the movie is the best
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
I think George shoots Lennie because he makes the decision for them bother that they're not gonna keep running away from their problems? That was one of the takes our class discussed when we did it
Say no to drugs, but drink is good...
I kept reading the qoute as recon, like Force Recon
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
when it comes to the mock GCSE exams i will consult this thread.

all seems to make sense to me. now im even further ahead than everyone else

(sorry people who havent read the book, unwanted spoiler)

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by SMH07
Isn't it because George and Slim are sad that they had to kill Lennie and the others can't understand why since they think he's just a murdering nut case?

Thats basically it.. i think your reading too far into it TS
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
These guys on the ranch are very lonely, and have forgotten what it's like to have such a close friendship, like the one between Lennie and George. They simply didn't understand how George was feeling and assumed something was wrong.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
When George shoots Lenny, he saves him from the others on the hunt for him. He allows Lenny to die looking into the distance, towards his (and George's) hope of owning their own place, instead of being caught and slaughtered like an animal. In doing so, George also finishes off that dream for himself, since there was no way he could go on in it without Lenny. That dream had kept the two of them going, saying they weren't like the others because they had eachother, and were going to get somewhere; Lenny's death left George with nothing to look towards. Slim, the only other man who could understand those emotions, goes to George, and they go off to drink away their wages, like any ranch hands with nothing to look forward to do.

Definitely one of the greatest books i've ever read, even though it left me with this feeling of despair, sorta like The Scarlet Ibis.
Also note that though Lennie is the one that follws George through the entire novel making George the stronger character, as soon as he shoots him, he leaves with Slim, reversing his role making him the weaker one and the lesser character, and Slim has always been the stronger character. And Carlson's quote is meant to represent the uncaring aspect of Men, because he could not understand the connection Lennie and George(I wrote Carl like 30 times) had.
I won an award for playing Lenny once

It's because the guys do't understand the depth of their relationship with Lenny. They are sad that they had to kill Lenny of course, as they knew he didn't mean to kill Curly's wife,
but more so it is the end of a dream for them that they felt they were close to attaining, Lenny's death strips them of any hope for a brighter future and a way out.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Even though I absolutely hated the book, I agree with the general concensus of the meaning for that line. It's the lack of knowledge and understanding behind the two men shooting Lenny.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
I love the line. For me, it perfectly sums up just how little the other guys understand of what George and Lenny have to go to, and beautifully shows how life is just gonna go on like normal, as if nothing ever happened.
hmm, id never thought about that whole exchange of superiority between lennie and george and slim and george.

this was all set during the great depression, and another thing were meant to focus on is the whole unwritten class system in place, the spurred boots, the bunk houses and the 'N' word.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
hmm, id never thought about that whole exchange of superiority between lennie and george and slim and george.

this was all set during the great depression, and another thing were meant to focus on is the whole unwritten class system in place, the spurred boots, the bunk houses and the 'N' word.

Mention how Curly tries to elevate himself with his appearance, he dresses like his father to try and get more respected, he also wears heeled boots to make himself taller, to be more like Slim, who gains everyones respect without asking for it. When you look at it the characters all have a fatal flaw which makes this a very sad novel, looking back on it, man it was a kickass story.
he essentially put lenny out of his misery, if those guys caught him for murdering that woman in the barn, they things they would have done to him would have been far worse than the quick easy death george gave him.
(i havent read the book in like 3 or 4 years so my memory is a little groggy but im pretty sure thats what it was about)
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
You must be missing the last chapter, right after Candy or whoever says "What you suppose is eatin those guys?" a werewolf comes out of Lenny's dead body and well, I don't want to ruin the ending for you but there is some eating that goes down.
Goodness gracious me!
candy is the old swamper. he never left the ranch me thinks.

it was carlson and curley.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Haha we saw this in the theatre, because no one on my school likes reading.
...What!?
just started watching the film.

the guy who plays George is the guy who plays Lt. Dan whatever in forrest gump, and Lennie seems more 'senile dementia' than simple minded.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Syndromity
Kurt Vonnegut ftmfw.

I agree. I don't read but I just read Cat's Cradle. That book was great. The ending made me "lol***?"
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
Wait till you get to the fist bit, Lennie must a marshall MG because theres some definate 'crushing overdrive' in that scene...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Silver-spear94
thanks dude, you just wrote the basis of my GCSE for me

thats basically what i jsut realised. teacher keeps highlighting that these men are ranchers and spend there 'stake' on booze and *****s.

tbh, i dont quite get why george shot lennie, they could probably of escaped. poor candy, now he gonna get canned for being a useless swamper.

People have covered how George gave Lennie a much more humane death than if he had been caught, but like you said, they might have been able to escape. BUT, remember the things Lennie has done - first he accidentally kills a mouse by petting it too hard, then kills Candy (in essentially the same way - close enough). Because he is so strong, yet so...dim...he was a danger to others, even though he meant no harm. Because he doesn't understand fully, it would be quite possible that a similar even would occur when they move to the next town. It would be a cycle that would only end with his death, which George at least made as quick and comfortable as possible.

Something we discussed when I did it in third year, so that was about 4 years ago...so sorry I've forgotten details.
Last edited by lyonk55 at Sep 29, 2009,
He says that because, despite George having just killed his best friend, he doesn't see what is bothering him. What an asshole
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Page 1 of 2