Poll: shooting nuclear waste into the sun is
Poll Options
View poll results: shooting nuclear waste into the sun is
in the end just as expensive, but more effective than burying it
131 78%
burying nuclear waste is the better idea.
38 22%
Voters: 169.
Page 1 of 4
So I heard a story today about a german salt mine in the east that collapsed, due to a rise in subterranian water.

sound like a problem?

no, if you consider that there are tons of plutonium and other radioactive wastes in said mine, which means that eventually, depending on how fast the water rises, the radioactivly contaminated water will seep into germany's rivers.

so this got me to thinking, instead of transporting radioactive wastes to desolate mines and burying them (what you can't see can't hurt you), why not shoot the radioactive waste into space?

sure it would be expensive, but think about it:
the amount of money spent on transporting it, burying it, and the costs that are now going to be caused due to the consequences of contamination of water and soil, possible health consequences, reparations to families damaged by contaminated water etc. etc., wouldn't it eventually amount to the same, but without risking human lives? if we can land a rover on Mars, I'm sure we can direct a transport of nuclear waste into the sun.

thoughts, discuss.
I'm pretty sure there's a flaw somewhere...
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius

the only flaw I can think of is that no one wants to pay for it.
Nah, it'd make the Sun go all red and funny.

Watch Stargate.

ಠ_ಠ

wat

Not a bad idea.. I cant belive the way Nuclear waste has been disposed of over the years.. so short sighted!
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Radioactive waste hits meteor into track of collision with earth me = laugh.
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
Someone's going to make a Futurama reference...

But yeah, the Superman approach? I guess it would work. And hey, who gives a crap about space? It's not like it's going to cause Spatial Warming.

Or will it?
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by CoreysMonster
the only flaw I can think of is that no one wants to pay for it.

That's what I thought. Not very cost-effective TBH, but then, it may be beneficial.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
BLOW UP THE SUN! BLOW UP THE SUN! Hell yeah
A Celebration For The Death Of Man...

Quote by Madison Perella

Thats not even sensible I base myself like this I like power I don't understand emotion. Knowledge is key and fire pokemon own.

Not into the sun... maybe into the asteroid belt or something..
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.

Quote by zwound
Win

Quote by __Pent__

^^Too bad I can't do this in real life
i concur
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
dude, the amounts of radioactive material, and the sheer cost of getting it into space.

I heard something like that it costs 10 million dollars for every kg we launch. This of the mindblowing costs of getting a few thousand kgs into space.
Hi I'm
Mr. JimBo R. Insane
Quote by Glimsom
Someone's going to make a Futurama reference...

But yeah, the Superman approach? I guess it would work. And hey, who gives a crap about space? It's not like it's going to cause Spatial Warming.

Or will it?

beat you to it in the first post

and nothing will happen to the sun, the sun's basically a huge nuclear fission plant. a couple tons of radioactive material will do squat.
I wouldnt want to be the one that has to calculate all the trajectories and such like for that.
Talking about fapping to films!!
Originally posted by Vader, Darth
Jabba did this one time when we were watching Gremlins...

It found it...disturbing.

Gearidge:
Laney AOR 50 Head
Laney Cab
BC Rich Mockingbird
Line 6 Spider 3
Quote by CoreysMonster
wouldn't it eventually amount to the same, but without risking human lives?

jesus christ, no.

do you know how far away the sun is? and the capacity of an average rocket? not to mention the cost of the rockets, which would be destroyed in the process. it would take dozens of trips to empty out one of those underground dumps.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by mrjimborinsane
dude, the amounts of radioactive material, and the sheer cost of getting it into space.

I heard something like that it costs 10 million dollars for every kg we launch. This of the mindblowing costs of getting a few thousand kgs into space.

NASA wasted billions of dollars because they FORGOT TO PUT A LENSE ON THE HUBBLE TELESCOPE.
I think shooting nuclear waste into the sun is a better project for them.

Quote by Zugunruhe
jesus christ, no.

do you know how far away the sun is? and the capacity of an average rocket? not to mention the cost of the rockets, which would be destroyed in the process. it would take dozens of trips to empty out one of those underground dumps.

you would only need to direct it towards the sun, in a way that would allow gravity to take it's course. it's how satellites work as well, they only need rockets to get away from earth, and gravitational slings do the rest.
and what is the capacity of an average rocket? I'm not a rocket scientist.

...yet
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Sep 22, 2009,
Then what about the Space animals?
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

It's not cost-ineffective, you've just got to get a space agency to take it up with them. It's free forty you!

SHEdit: Forty?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by CoreysMonster
NASA wasted billions of dollars because they FORGOT TO PUT A LENSE ON THE HUBBLE TELESCOPE.
I think shooting nuclear waste into the sun is a better project for them.

what? really? That's just embarassing. I hope a few people got fired for that. Talk about dividing by zero.
Hi I'm
Mr. JimBo R. Insane
all i can think of is

1)rocket goes boom over the earth spreading all the **** over us

2)some sort or reaction with the sun making it go tits up (doubt it will happen)

3)not cost efective we can just dump it in the sea at points thats deeper than everest or just send it to selofeild in england for it to be stored and used up

all i can think off yes my grammer is ****
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Shoot radioactive material into space.. and have the radioactive material latch on to an asteroid or something and cause the bacteria to mutate and giant GIANT SPACE MONSTERS?!!?!?!

**** that ****
Quote by CoreysMonster
you would only need to direct it towards the sun, in a way that would allow gravity to take it's course. it's how satellites work as well, they only need rockets to get away from earth, and gravitational slings do the rest.
and what is the capacity of an average rocket? I'm not a rocket scientist.

you still have to make disposable rockets, which would not be cheap. and even if you dont have to pilot them, the cost of breaking free of earths gravity alone is huge. after that, you can calculate the trajectory, but it still takes a fair amount of fuel.

i dont know what the capacity would be, but there must be millions of tons of nuclear waste in the world. it would take a huge number of multi-billion dollar trips.
If the rocket explodes before leaving Earth, it would contaminate a huge area of the Earth...

So its a bad idea....
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
what happens when the s***y nasa rocket blows up shortly after launch and spreads nuclear waste over the earth's atmosphere?
What's with the lack of corey threads in the pit lately?
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Sure.... it would only cost a couple of trillion+ dollars. Do you have any clue how much it cost to get into space? The astronauts will also be exposed to the radioactivity, too, or they manage to find a material that effectively blocks radiation, like led, but doesn't weigh a ton.

Seriously, the best way for us to dispose of spent nuclear material is wrapping it up and burying it.

I also doubt that the nuclear waste in the salt mine will effect Germany too much.
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
Quote by Venice King
What's with the lack of corey threads in the pit lately?

sorry
lack of ideas.

Quote by Balmazer
Sure.... it would only cost a couple of trillion+ dollars. Do you have any clue how much it cost to get into space? The astronauts will also be exposed to the radioactivity, too, or they manage to find a material that effectively blocks radiation, like led, but doesn't weigh a ton.

Seriously, the best way for us to dispose of spent nuclear material is wrapping it up and burying it.

I also doubt that the nuclear waste in the salt mine will effect Germany too much.

astronauts would not have to go on said mission, it would be like launching a satellite.
and no, that's a stupid idea.
and the salt mine is slowly filling up with water, which is contaminated, and if the water level continues to rise (it is), it will spill into a major river.
but that's not gonna affect us.
Quote by texico11
It won't be very fun when the frikkin rocket explodes over your house with the radioactive waste showering onto and killing you and everything you love

OR turns you into super humans
Hmm, how long until this mine fills up with water?

I saw a show on TV yesterday about some break throughs in toxic recycling. Not a perfect plan yet, but very interesting stuff.
epic7734
Quote by texico11
It won't be very fun when the frikkin rocket explodes over your house with the radioactive waste showering onto and killing you and everything you love

just fire up the rocket in a desolate place on earth, so even if it explodes it'll be the same as burying it underground
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
That's what was missing today. I thought something felt wrong.

hey, I started uni yesterday

becoming an engineer takes time.
Quote by mrjimborinsane
what? really? That's just embarassing. I hope a few people got fired for that. Talk about dividing by zero.

... what?

You should get fired for that.
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
We could just stop making nukes and then not have to worry about radioactive waste at all...
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually
wow, i just noticed how ridiculously biased the poll is.

theres no way it would be just as expensive in the end. framing the issue like that is totally skewing the results.
Quote by CoreysMonster
hey, I started uni yesterday

becoming an engineer takes time.

You started uni? I feel like this is thread-worth corey
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by texico11
This could contribute to cost, because everything would have to be driven out and built in a desolate place. The other big problem is that the sky tends to move >.> Radiation deposits might be swept somewhere where it can cause damage. Atleast when it's burried it's contents can be monitored and concentrated.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it, but these are some of the big arguments I've seen against the space-trash idea, particularly the dangers of the rocket spilling it's deadly cargo.

no problem, it's not like I'm trying to promote this idea, I'm really just trying to look for reasons it won't work

but yeah, didn't think of that.

DAMN you, CORIOLIS EFFECT!! *shakes fist*
Quote by Zugunruhe
wow, i just noticed how ridiculously biased the poll is.

theres no way it would be just as expensive in the end. framing the issue like that is totally skewing the results.

think about it:

every bit of nuclear waste poses a problem for 250.000 years.

think of all the money you'll have to spend in 250.000 years to keep it under control.
250.000 years.
or, spend a billion dollars now to shoot all of it into the sun and get rid of it.

EDIT: oh, and sorry about biased poll, it wasn't meant to be that way : / just a poor choice of wording
Would change it if I could, unfortunately I lack S-Mod powers.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by Simsimius

Which is if they blew up in lift-off, nuclear debris would be scattered around for dozens of miles.

Good idea.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Page 1 of 4