So i'm a noob when it comes to strings cause i never bought ones before... I don't know anything about gauge so i need you to help me out

What strings do you sugest for a squier user?
After all you fell in love with death,
Life has aborted.
All you've had and all you became,
The night is calling, you pray forth.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Standard tuning? Just regular .09s will do fine, or .10s if you want a slightly heavier feel. I personally love GHS boomers, but a lot of people swear by Ernie Ball or D'addario. Experiment I guess.

WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Sep 22, 2009,
for a begginer using a squire i suggest 9 gauge ernie balls

i hate boomers, they seem to me like they die in like an hour of playing on them.
Hard to beat a set of Ernie Balls, pricewise and soundwise. For a strat maybe 9, 10 even 11s if you're feeling SRVish.
EDIT: I use 11s myself but I play a semi hollow.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
You could try elixers, I use them. They're a little on the expensive side, but they don't lose their tone for a long time. I'd suggest maybe starting with 10's, they're kinda the middle ground.
I like D'Addario ang Boomers. I tried slinky's but i didn't liek them for some reason. I'm sure your strat came with .09-.42 gauge, so if you liked the feel of your strings, I would get the same. For now, avoid super lighet (.08), super heavy (.13) or just wired string packs (some Zakk Wylde's signature strings have prety weird gauges put together)

Phuk I was forgetting elixirs. They were good when Iused them and they still had good tone when I changed them, and they weren't rusting a lot. However, they are hard to find where I live, and I only used them once
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Sep 22, 2009,
ernie ball strings turn into hell-on-guitar in a few hours, the outer coating wears away and they get really, really sharp.

Elixirs are my new best friends, also D'addaros.

ernieball = fail.

elixirs last ages too. with the nanoweb coating.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

GENERALLY SPEAKING (as in the general consensus) is that the most common and balanced gauge for a set of strings if you're playing in E standard tuning is 9-46 or gauges around there.

I've used Ernie Ball Skinny top heavy bottoms and those were awesome.

Used Dunlop Light strings and they were the epitome of crap. My experience with them were that they were f'ing horrible. Tuning problems, broke fast, uncomfortable.

I swear by DR strings. They feel the best, sound the best, and last the longest. At least for me they do.

Again, when it comes to strings it's all preference. There really isn't a "best" set of strings.

Elixer's supposedly last an eternity but they're expensive as hell (for a pack of strings)

Never really tried Dadarrio's but a lot of people use them as well and I hear good things about them.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
there not THAT expensive, well imho anyway

EBs are £5, D'ads are £6 and Elixirs are £10.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
there not THAT expensive, well imho anyway

EBs are £5, D'ads are £6 and Elixirs are £10.

For a pack of strings they are expensive. Some guy could buy two EB packs for the price of one elixir pack. But they dont know that elixir's could last more than the two sets, and they sound better.

Btw, strings are expensive on the UK. I bought D'addarios last week for 70 pesos, the same price as the Boomers (3.2 £ according to google) and elixirs are 100 pesos (4.6 pounds)
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
I love DRs, bes strings out there IMO.
Also Ernie Ball is good.

For a Strat i wouldn't go too heavy, 0.10s will be fine.
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal