I've been trying to learn how to decide what scales I should use over chord progressions, and I was wondering if anybody could tell me what they would use over these chords. I've got an idea, but I want to make sure I'm on the right track (it's a jazz tune, if that makes a difference to anyone).

The chords are: Gm7 Eb7 Gm7 Bb7 A7 Ab7 Gm7

Thanks
And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you...

The Band

Viva La Revolución!
Damn, lot of dominant chords in there. Sure your notation's right?

Anyhow, from that chromatic walk (A7 Ab7 Gm7) down to the G I'd say it's in the key of G, try G minor. Lack of D (V chord in G) is a bit weird, but eh, I'm not a big jazz guy, I hear they do things a bit different on that side of music.
With all of those dominants in there really isn't anything that will exactly fit. G minor pentatonic will work OK, but I think you would be better off sticking to chord tones for that progression.
Quote by MopMaster
Damn, lot of dominant chords in there. Sure your notation's right?

Anyhow, from that chromatic walk (A7 Ab7 Gm7) down to the G I'd say it's in the key of G, try G minor. Lack of D (V chord in G) is a bit weird, but eh, I'm not a big jazz guy, I hear they do things a bit different on that side of music.

I'm almost positive that the notation is right. I had pretty much the same thought process that you had.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you...

The Band

Viva La Revolución!
Quote by Scarred_surface
With all of those dominants in there really isn't anything that will exactly fit. G minor pentatonic will work OK, but I think you would be better off sticking to chord tones for that progression.
This.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
the first 4 chords can be solo'd over using the F major scale with some alterations. ok for example take this shape in the F pitch collection (major scale) E: 5 6 8 B: 5 6 8 G: 5 7 D: 5 7 8 A: 5 7 8 E: 5 6 8 you can pretty much use that the entire time, for Gm7, for the Eb7 just add the note C# to the scale, and target that note during that chord (keep in mind still staying within that shape, just add a C#) back to Gm7 using the shape, for Bb7 add the note G#, target it during the Bb7. or for that entire Bb7 A7 Ab7 section, use the Eb pitch collection (or in other words, notes of a Eb major scale), you can lower the D to a Db to get a bluesier sound if you want as well. and then the final Gm7 is back to notes from the F major scale (shape above)

Uh...no.

The non-chromatic part is G minor, if you are having a tough time over the chromatic run, just follow the chord tones.