Hey guys im looking to upgrade my neck pickup soon and was hoping for some advice. I want to use this pup exclusively for soloing because i have a third single coil in the middle already. I have a ibanez rg with a seymour duncan blackout metal in the bridge. I would like the neck pickup to be passive.
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
What is wrong with your tone now that you want to change? Some people for soloing like their tone to be more mid heavy and to stand out, while others like to have a semi-scooped tone to give it a "smother" sound.
Quote by Ghold125
What is wrong with your tone now that you want to change? Some people for soloing like their tone to be more mid heavy and to stand out, while others like to have a semi-scooped tone to give it a "smother" sound.

i have the stock ibanez inf pickup in the neck and the blackout in the bridge is a bit to "sensitive" for soloing if you will
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
You're not supposed to mix actives and passives. Get a blackout and a blackout single for the middle.
Quote by JELIFISH19
You're not supposed to mix actives and passives. Get a blackout and a blackout single for the middle.

i dont want to mix them dude. I want use the middle for cleans, neck for solos, and bridge for everything else

edit: and theres no more room for batteries in my guitar anyway
Quote by wolvenrick
Last edited by chrisg7 at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19
You're not supposed to mix actives and passives on the same guitar

ok well it sounds fine to me, but im asking for suggestions not for you to tell me whats wrong with my guitar. Thanks.
Quote by wolvenrick
i dont know why you're not supposed to mix the two, but there are diagrams out there so people do do it. i think there was a thread for one in the GB&C section just recently. maybe check here for one. i have a SD full shred and honestly i havent been able to use it much so i cant say for sure on that one. the '59 is a pretty popular SD model.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by SYLrules88
i dont know why you're not supposed to mix the two, but there are diagrams out there so people do do it. i think there was a thread for one in the GB&C section just recently. maybe check here for one. i have a SD full shred and honestly i havent been able to use it much so i cant say for sure on that one. the '59 is a pretty popular SD model.

i already have a mix of actives and passives in my guitar. i guess ill check out the air norton
Quote by wolvenrick
Quote by chrisg7
ok well it sounds fine to me, but im asking for suggestions not for you to tell me whats wrong with my guitar. Thanks.

stop being such a smartarse.

You can't mix actives and passives on the same guitar unless they're on separate circuits - actives need 25k pots and passives use 250 or 500k. If they're on the same circuit and you didn't change the pots then the active pickup will not be working the way it's supposed to, if you did change them then the passives won;t be working properly.

Either get all Blackouts and with 25k pots or go all passive with 500k pots - you can't have both on an RG unless you do some serious rewiring.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
stop being such a smartarse.

You can't mix actives and passives on the same guitar unless they're on separate circuits - actives need 25k pots and passives use 250 or 500k. If they're on the same circuit and you didn't change the pots then the active pickup will not be working the way it's supposed to, if you did change them then the passives won;t be working properly.

Either get all Blackouts and with 25k pots or go all passive with 500k pots - you can't have both on an RG unless you do some serious rewiring.

How hard is it for you to understand that i have 2 passive pickups and 1 active pickup in my guitar... I have both 25k and 500k pots. One knob controls the volume for the active pickup. One knob controls the volume for the passive pickups. Stop being so arrogant.
Quote by wolvenrick
Stop being such a dick then.

Nobody's going to "understand" anything if you don't explain it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Im not being a dick. I just cant stand it when people who act like they know everything try to answer a different question than the one in the op. For example when a kid is like "i want a new guitar" people like you are like "nope you want a new amp." I asked what pickup to get, and said i wanted it to be passive, that is the only question i asked.
Quote by wolvenrick
Quote by stratman7
Air Norton.

This. Im thinking of getting one for my RG, after a trem upgrade of course.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
And you didn't give anywhere enough information about your current setup or what you wanted which is why you got the responses you did.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc