Poll: Do like to "sound" like famous players?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do like to "sound" like famous players?
Yes, it's cool.
41 41%
No, it's degrading and not original.
60 59%
Voters: 101.
Page 1 of 2
Share the reasons that make your playing different from the others.

YEAH, it is Do YOU like to "sound" like famous players?
Another FAIL-ME thread. ©
Last edited by Fiire at Sep 22, 2009,
i put the strings in random order.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I like to sound different, odd chords and the like, but I would love to have some famous people's tones.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
tone wise or style wise? i picked no because i dont like sounding exactly the same as the others
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
i like to sound like someone else if im playing their song. it makes me happy i can achieve a similar tone of someone famous. but when im just dicking around, i try not to sound like anyone, but im sure i do. its pretty hard to have a "unique" tone now a days.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
listen to my band (see sig) and be the judge.
I have yet to find a band play the 8-string guitar the way I do.
Quote by MightyAl
My playing is unique, because noone else can suck as hard at guitar as I do.

i challenge that i call a guitar duel
depends, If I'm playing my own stuff then no, but If I'm playing a cover I try and get the tone similar
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by MightyAl

Is that a challenge?
EDIT: Oh, a 3-way guitar duel is in order, methinks.
Official Member of the 'Fly your australian flag high club' for the really patriotic Australians: P.M Dire straits to join
Last edited by baddog144 at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by CoreysMonster
listen to my band (see sig) and be the judge.
I have yet to find a band play the 8-string guitar the way I do.

Wierd how something created by a UGer has such a great vibe to it.

Easily the only band i've heard, from a member of UG that i've thought of the person as an artist rather than another UGer making music.
I sound like Muhammed Suicemez in solos
I sound like King Diamond cross Muhammed Suicemez in riffs
I sing badly, and can't perform any of the newer styles used in metal

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I play two guitars at the same time, I bet no one has thought of doing that yet ...

Seriously though, i'm not really that bothered about having an original tone, I don't really have that much of an original style. Though I do try to mix a few styles together.
Quote by severed-metal

Easily the only band i've heard, from a member of UG that i've thought of the person as an artist rather than another UGer making music.

and this is the best compliment I've ever gotten, and you are motherfucking sigged, bitch!
Quote by severed-metal

go find Steve The Plank then... his band 'The Fury' are awesome. Proper classic rock but it feels slightly more modern to me.
You're welcome, Corey

Quote by SG_dave
go find Steve The Plank then... his band 'The Fury' are awesome. Proper classic rock but it feels slightly more modern to me.

I just may have to. I know there was a guy on here who did a tribute to Jason Becker, and it was absolutely killer as well.
I sound like a blues guitarist that just did a few lines of coke and loves trills.
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
I take influence from people, but i try and merge it all together to make my own sort of style, and alot of people have told me i do actually have my own quirky way of playing, after having a really good jam session with a few guys, one of them said he really couldn't put his finger on what sort of stuff i am influenced by, he thought i was a jazz player, but then rock and funk, i had never heard anyone describe my playing as being like jazz, but he either meant i play random ****e over anything, or that its good.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I play like Kirk Hammet. Pentatonic and wah pedal.

OLOLOLOLNOTRLY
Quote by N_J_B_B

My first lolstack!
Dude, you should realise asking guitar related questions in the pit is pretty much a death sentence.
Believe.
Quote by spoony 101
Dude, you should realise asking guitar related questions in the pit is pretty much a death sentence.

replies have been pretty nice?

and he wasn't specifically referring to electric guitar, I'm sure he also means bass and drums
Quote by aaciseric
I play two guitars at the same time, I bet no one has thought of doing that yet ...

Seriously though, i'm not really that bothered about having an original tone, I don't really have that much of an original style. Though I do try to mix a few styles together.

Nice MAB referance.
i often try to play with different dials and nobs on my amps and stuff until i get a sound i like, also i almost always play with capos, they add a lot to the sound imo. but then tbf my guitar sounds awful and my amp changes little no matter what you do to it so i guess im just happy to have a different sound.

tbh i find the best thing is experimenting, in my daily routine i really do look forward to the hour ive allocated to nothing other than sitting there and experimenting.
Quote by CoreysMonster
replies have been pretty nice?

and he wasn't specifically referring to electric guitar, I'm sure he also means bass and drums

Yea, i really should have read the posts Personally, i ground down 1 pence coins and use them. My tone is sharp as hell
Believe.
not a fan of the pole options. I have a quite unique sound, think like randy rhoads meets skwissgaar meets mesuggah meets alot of death metal...im not sure, it just sounds different. I still like the sound of famous people though.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by spoony 101
Yea, i really should have read the posts Personally, i ground down 1 pence coins and use them. My tone is sharp as hell

you lie!

but yeah, a thing about my piano playing, for instance, is that I am traditionally trained, but never play dynamics according to notes. any piano piece I play, dynamics are judged solely by feeling.
this pisses off classical musicians, but by doing so I feel that I can touch modern music expectations easier. people always ask me to record my way of playing Für Elise or other classical pieces, because I play them differently than 99% of piano players out there, who go strictly by written music sheets.
A friend of mine who studies classical piano has even commented that she thinks my way of playing alot of classical pieces is much better than her teachers do.
just because a style of playing a piece of music worked 250 years ago doesn't mean it can't be done in a way more fitting to the style of music today.
something many, many classical musicians do not understand.
i try and mix as much distortion and reverb as possible

otherwise its just blues and KH-style pent playing
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
your grandma caught you jackin off to friends??!!?!
im not too shocked

Quote by ThinDizzy
+1 Internets to you, sir.

My first intarwebz
Ibanez GRG170>2008 MIM strat (Its my dad's though)>Random 90's Randall tube (My dad's)>GatorGrip2mm
its fun to everynow and then. just dont call it your own.
Classical Guitarist
If I were capable of sounding like someone famous, I probably would.

But I have mediocre playing skills at best, and crap equipment. The Jonas Brothers have better tone than I do, with their SGs and Les Pauls and crap......
Schecter Tempest Custom
Squier Jagmaster
Epiphone Les Paul Jr. (Modified)
Crafter D-8

DOD FX50-B > EHX Little Big Muff > Digitech Whammy 4 >
Dunlop Cry Baby > Zoom G3 > Boss DD-7 > Digitech Digiverb

Orange OR-15
Marshall Valvestate VS100
Quote by MightyAl

I think I could compete with you for that title.
My guitar playing is unique, because I don't think it really sounds like anyone else's playing.

However, I'm heavily influenced by Cliff Burton and Jason Newstead on bass, and that really shows through in my playing.
Page 1 of 2