But I have no idea how to do any of the electrical stuff really. can someone enlighten me?

basically, I'm planning a strat with a humbucker in the neck, single coil in the middle, and humbucker in the bridge, with either a floyd rose or a regular strat tremolo arm.

so 1st question. im planning on using the whammy bar a lot. would you suggest a floyd rose or a regular tremolo arm with locking tuners? I would go with the floyd rose, but I know that they're a bitch to change strings on. I'm talking about the occasional divebomb, vibrato to bent notes, playing around with harmonics, etc...

2nd question. a regular strat is set up so that it only has 2 tone controls and a master volume. is it possible to set it up so I can have an individual volume and tone control for each pickup? (it would mean 6 knobs, but I'm sure I can find space for it if its possible). what do I have to do to set up the electronics so it works when I plug it into an amp?

anything else you can suggest to me for this would be great as well.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
For the control thing, you can get knobs with little knobs in the center, so if you use those you can have individual controls for each pup.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
I'd just recommend putting in a Flod Rose and having the locking nut. A regular tremolo will stay in tune badly in comparison, even with locking tuners. On my homemade Strat I just put locking tuenrs AND a locking nut on, just for super OCDness.

Having 6 separate knobs on a guitar would be ridiculous, but yes, it is possible. Alternatively, there are ways to wire a switch which will turn your volume pot into a tone pot, and if you wanted to save space you could have one of these for each pickup's volume pot. However, would you REALLY set every single knob differently? Having a master volume and master tone would seriously save space and make it more straight forward for you, both to make and play.
all of this is possible.
a graphite nut + locking tuners and a standard strat trem would be much, much, less work.
for a floyd you'd need to do a good bit more routing to install the trem.
Using the standard trem, graphite nut, locking tuners, you could easily buy a strat body with HSH routing, and for your final question yes you could set it up with 6 knobs but I'm not sure if you'd find room on the pickguard.

EDIT:
Quote by Les Paul Ell
I'd just recommend putting in a Flod Rose and having the locking nut. A regular tremolo will stay in tune badly in comparison, even with locking tuners. On my homemade Strat I just put locking tuenrs AND a locking nut on, just for super OCDness.

locking tuners and a graphite nut WILL stay in tune with a good bridge.

and you realise you gain nothing by putting locking tuners behind a locking nut?
floating trems come out of tune at the bridge end.
Last edited by Bigsteve92 at Sep 22, 2009,
warmoth.com is your best friend ever, seems like. But buy 3 concentric pots - one for each pup, and have one part of each knob do volume, and the other part tone. Wilkinson tremolo? Check that out. less work than FR, more stability than reg Strat trem. Graphite nut, locking tuners. Use different size/power capacitors for Humbucker vs single coil pups though.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Floyd Rose bridges are only a hassle if you don't know what your doing, if you've been changing string on that type of bridge for x years or so it shouldnt be a problem anymore.
Quote by Bigsteve92
all of this is possible.
a graphite nut + locking tuners and a standard strat trem would be much, much, less work.
Using the standard trem, graphite nut, locking tuners, you could easily buy a strat body with HSH routing, and for your final question yes you could set it up with 6 knobs but I'm not sure if you'd find room on the pickguard.

EDIT:

locking tuners and a graphite nut WILL stay in tune with a good bridge.

and you realise you gain nothing by putting locking tuners behind a locking nut?
floating trems come out of tune at the bridge end.

I gotta say I disagree. As long as it's not a licensed Floyd Rose (and if it is, it's gotta be a good one like a Gotoh) you WILL stay in tune better than with a standard trem, no matter how many tricks you do to the nut or bridge or whatever.

However, I agree that maybe a standard trem would be better, since then TS can just buy a standard strat body, although making small adjustments and making a body compatable for a non-reccessed floyd rose wouldn't be a big deal either.

(I know there's no point to having both locking tuners and a locking nut when the nut is locked, but they were hardly more expensive, so why not eh.)
Quote by Guitar Skater
Floyd Rose bridges are only a hassle if you don't know what your doing, if you've been changing string on that type of bridge for x years or so it shouldnt be a problem anymore.

true nuff, but still, for the moment, were assuming he has little experience with them
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
I would just get this and mod it if i wanted a floyd.
http://www.rondomusic.com/sstftowl.html
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Quote by Bigsteve92
all of this is possible.

so what company usually makes the bridge and trem for fender? they should be good enough, when combined with a graphite nut and locking tuners for it to stay in tune right?

EDIT: I don't really mind the string changes to a floyd rose, I can do it. the main thing would be the changes I'd have to do to the regular strat body (designed for regular strat tremolo), how difficult are those?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Last edited by Shadow_Hawk at Sep 22, 2009,
1. Given what you want to do, go FR. The fact is that you'll like playing with a locking trem more than a synchronized tremolo which easily go out of tune - no divebombs or crazy whammy tricks in sight with a synchronized tremolo.

2. It's entirely possible. When you get it all together I'm sure someone nice will draw you a diagramme or point you to one.

edit: you're gonna have to route out a bit of wood on the front of the body if you want any upbend with the FR. It's not difficult per se, but you'd wanna have a pretty fair hand on how to use a router because if you screw up, your body will basically be firewood. Are you modding an existing guitar or building one from scratch?
Last edited by kenan6346 at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by Zakkcd
warmoth.com is your best friend ever, seems like. But buy 3 concentric pots - one for each pup, and have one part of each knob do volume, and the other part tone. Wilkinson tremolo? Check that out. less work than FR, more stability than reg Strat trem. Graphite nut, locking tuners. Use different size/power capacitors for Humbucker vs single coil pups though.

Ive been designing stuff on that site today, its pretty cool. only thing, they only seem to sell 500k concentric pots, and I've heard that single coils are supposed to go with 250k's. the 500k pot is good for the 2 humbuckers I've planned, but how will it affect the single coils tone, etc?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by Les Paul Ell
(I know there's no point to having both locking tuners and a locking nut when the nut is locked, but they were hardly more expensive, so why not eh.)

ah right, with that bit of added info as you said, why not :P
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
so what company usually makes the bridge and trem for fender? they should be good enough, when combined with a graphite nut and locking tuners for it to stay in tune right?

I think it's Schaller that make the hardware for Fender, I know that the Fender custom shop offers Schaller strap locks but i may be wrong :P

Quote by kenan6346

edit: you're gonna have to route out a bit of wood on the front of the body if you want any upbend with the FR. It's not difficult per se, but you'd wanna have a pretty fair hand on how to use a router because if you screw up, your body will basically be firewood. Are you modding an existing guitar or building one from scratch?

or you can route into rectangles, put pieces of wood in, glue and then change to a bridge of choice :P
That's actually what I'm doing for an AS design project later this year. The project is to improve an existing product, I'm going to argue a hardtail bridge has better tuning stability and sustain etc. to make it fit in. This isn't due to a botched route though, it's the dodgy bushings have cracked the wood inside the tremolo route :\
Quote by kenan6346
1. Given what you want to do, go FR. The fact is that you'll like playing with a locking trem more than a synchronized tremolo which easily go out of tune - no divebombs or crazy whammy tricks in sight with a synchronized tremolo.

2. It's entirely possible. When you get it all together I'm sure someone nice will draw you a diagramme or point you to one.

I'm getting warmoth to design body and neck, then I'm adding all the stuff to it basically. At first I wanted to get a HSS Highway One Strat, rip out the single coil in the neck position, and remodel it, but I think that will actually be MORE work, because that comes with a regular tremolo, and has the regular strat volume and tone controls.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I'd personally stick a floyd rose in, but not route it out (I always suggest this when a strat with a floyd rose is mentioned ) so it's set up like a strat trem, but you can divebomb and whatnot with floyd rose style ease, but still the tuning won't mess up when you break a string and whatnot.

I'd suggest not having 6 knobs. It's be insanely messy, find another configuration that you'd be comfortable with.
You could do three concentric knobs.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
thats what I've decided to do, and I've decided I'll get a floyd rose and probably get a professional to rout it properly. Now all i need to figure out is how to do the electronics.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Wiring thread will be your friend here.

I may just be blind, but I can't see that anywhere in GB&C, link?
I'll try the searchbar first though

EDIT: found it. thanks.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Last edited by Shadow_Hawk at Sep 23, 2009,
Sorry man, forgot to link What are you doing wiring-wise?

Quote by Shadow_Hawk
I'm getting warmoth to design body and neck, then I'm adding all the stuff to it basically. At first I wanted to get a HSS Highway One Strat, rip out the single coil in the neck position, and remodel it, but I think that will actually be MORE work, because that comes with a regular tremolo, and has the regular strat volume and tone controls.

Just get Warmoth to route it for you
Quote by kenan6346
Just get Warmoth to route it for you

do they have that opttion? i didnt see it, but I'll go back and check now
thanks for the help guys lol.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
do they have that opttion? i didnt see it, but I'll go back and check now
thanks for the help guys lol.

As far as I know, they'll basically do anything you want from them - they'll put the whole guitar together for you if I'm not mistaken. Shoot them an email if you're having trouble.