Page 1 of 2
I play guitar in my band. Our drummer and singer got together and invited their friend to be our second guitarist. This guy's a heroin addict, has no gear, constantly in an out of rehab and stealing/pawning things for drugs.

My bassist and I had 0 say in the matter. He's practicing with us tonight. Our songs don't even have two guitar parts for christs sake.

I'm sitting here fuming. Should I leave?
see how it goes tonight and then decide.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
why dont you tell them you dont want the guy in?
dont up and leave for no reason
then youre the dusche
no offense
and i do see where you are at
but
i do think you need to talk to them
then if they wont comply
leave if you want to then
Quote by Chrisiphone
see how it goes tonight and then decide.

This is the right course of action, if the stealing stuff thing is completely true, then keep a look out for your stuff, perhaps don't bring all of your good gear maybe

You're Drummer and singer should never have made the choice without you but give it a go, they may be right, who knows?
Quote by Anteaterking
He probably won't be any good, in which case after the practice you'll have good standing to request his departure.

This one.
Quote by XChainsawGorgeX
why dont you tell them you dont want the guy in?
dont up and leave for no reason
then youre the dusche
no offense
and i do see where you are at
but
i do think you need to talk to them
then if they wont comply
leave if you want to then

Nice poem.

And TS just give him a shot, odds are he sucks ass, so just let him play then let him go.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

No gear?? Heroin? WTF?? Sure hang around, your gear is worth some fix, err, $$$.
See ya, dont let the door hit you on the way out.
Serious, your an idiot if hang around.
Last edited by siksofus at Sep 23, 2009,
Well see how he is and if they still wanna keep him after first practice threaten to leave if they dont kick him out
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I get such a big rush from downloading torrents that I just have to cum all over my face right at that moment.
Once again, WTF??
What part of NO GEAR doesnt any one understand?

He has no f**king gear people, please explain to drewfromutah how "see how he is", or "give him a shot", or "he wont be any good", is going to work when he has NOTHING to play?

Whats wrong with this picture?
Quote by siksofus
Once again, WTF??

He has no f**king gear people, please explain to drewfromutah how "see how he is", or "give him a shot", or "he wont be any good", is going to work when he has NOTHING to play?

He's fresh out of rehab so he has no gear and I'm not even sure he has a place to live. I assume our singer told him he can use his POS guitar and amp (at least I hope so, because there's no way in hell he's touching my gear).

Practice was canceled last night so I guess we'll see what happens Friday, but I'm still raging.
You have to ask yourself, is this band this important to you? Are you making alot of money? I doesnt sound like fun (anymore).

Keep in mind that i am 50, (but a youthful), I dont put up with ANY BS. Just my philosophy.
Remember, he will probaly find out where you live, he will find out you have nice gear, he is GOING to know when you are arent home. (practice)

You have to figure he has crack head/junkie freinds.

Your call.
It appears 2 out of 2, 50 year olds agree. It is not a good idea to have this guy around. Maybe we've seen too many toxic people. From your description, this guy fits the bill. If you and the bassist don't want him in the band, say so, forcefully. Tell the singer and drummer you don't even want to practice with him. If they insist, then do what you feel you have to do, either way. Your call.
Quote by siksofus
Once again, WTF??

Because not all of us are off in some lala land where absolutely no one else the guy knows has an amp/guitar that he could borrow/use for the night. In fact, I just assumed the singer or drummer did, since basically everyone in the world who has a band has a guitar and atleast a practice amp.
Anteater, you're an idiot.

You know what happens when you assume? Can you read? He has no gear, you are now just making stuff up.

You can loan him your gear.
Well the rest of the band didn't have the right to bring a new guy in without your consent to begin with, the fact that he's a junkie and has the habit of stealing stuff surely isn't reassuring either, so yeah you have the right to be pissed at your band mates.

You'd better show you're not pleased, or they'll assume what they did was fine and chances are they will repeat this or other similar situations again.

My suggestion would be maybe practice with him once, to see how he is. If your band mates called him even knowing how ****ed up his life is, maybe it was because they knew he was talented.

And what's with the people picking on the fact that he has no gear ?
He can borrow a guitar and a amp, either from some from or outside the band, I don't see the problem.
MikeDee, you're and idiot too.
How can you be in a band with no gear?

Loan him your gear.

Remember he will need for band rehearsals, gigs and general practice.

Would you loan a person like this YOUR gear? Of course not.

Drew is not asking for your opinion, or theories.
Given the facts drew should leave, take your bass player and start your own band.
Quote by siksofus
MikeDee, you're and idiot too.
How can you be in a band with no gear?

Loan him your gear.

Remember he will need for band rehearsals, gigs and general practice.

Would you loan a person like this YOUR gear? Of course not.

Drew is not asking for your opinion, or theories.
Given the facts drew should leave, take your bass player and start your own band.

Seriously though, for now he only needs the gear at their rehearsal place (or the gig venue), so in the case he would borrow it from a band member there's is no risk of him stealing anything as long as he's not the last one to leave the rehearsal which is unlikely because I assume they are rehearsing at one of the band members's place.
Plus remember, just because he doesn't have any gear right now does not imply he will not buy another guitar for the rest of his life.

And what's wrong with being in a band without your own gear ?
If someone stole all your gear would you quit your band ?
Quote by chokmool
It appears 2 out of 2, 50 year olds agree. It is not a good idea to have this guy around. Maybe we've seen too many toxic people. From your description, this guy fits the bill. If you and the bassist don't want him in the band, say so, forcefully. Tell the singer and drummer you don't even want to practice with him. If they insist, then do what you feel you have to do, either way. Your call.

throw a 26er in there! this guy is...

if your gear is at your rehersal space, go pick it up before that guy shows up, inventory it, and take it home. call your douche bag drummer and singer and tell them you, and your gear, will not be making it to practice, nor will you make it to any practice as long as steve adler is around. furthermore, inform them that you and your bassist have discussed the matter, and that if they feel absolutely driven to be in a band with the junkie, then perhaps they should follow their hearts... into another band.

man, i really enjoyed this thread

what the **** is wrong with people?
Quote by siksofus
Anteater, you're an idiot.

You know what happens when you assume? Can you read? He has no gear, you are now just making stuff up.

You can loan him your gear.

man, you... are like... my new favorite person on UG, and I like yo' style!

Quote by MikeDee

Seriously though, for now he only needs the gear at their rehearsal place (or the gig venue), so in the case he would borrow it from a band member there's is no risk of him stealing anything as long as he's not the last one to leave the rehearsal which is unlikely because I assume they are rehearsing at one of the band members's place.
Plus remember, just because he doesn't have any gear right now does not imply he will not buy another guitar for the rest of his life.

And what's wrong with being in a band without your own gear ?
If someone stole all your gear would you quit your band ?

why buy another guitar/amp, when i can just stake out your rehersal space for a couple days and break in while no one's around? i might have trouble with a cab, but I'd bet I could run pretty damn fast with a head and a snare!
have a sit down with the whole band before this dude shows up. You and the bassist drive the conversation, saying how you guys aren't very comfortable with the guy (given his past).

Calmly listen to their defense. If it makes sense, give the junkie a try; if their argument sucks, take your **** and your bassist and peace. Don't directly say you quit, as they may drop him to keep you two, but make it clear you have no issue leaving.
Quote by GrisKy
why buy another guitar/amp, when i can just stake out your rehersal space for a couple days and break in while no one's around? i might have trouble with a cab, but I'd bet I could run pretty damn fast with a head and a snare!

Assuming the rehearsal place is the house of one of the band members, breaking into his house would be the same as breaking into someone else's house, except in this case, he knows the house pretty well and given his history with drugs and stealing stuff, he would be the main suspect immediately.

Pretty stupid if you ask me, specially when he could break into someone else's house and get stuff much more valuable than his band's gear.
Quote by MikeDee
Assuming the rehearsal place is the house of one of the band members, breaking into his house would be the same as breaking into someone else's house, except in this case, he knows the house pretty well and given his history with drugs and stealing stuff, he would be the main suspect immediately.

Pretty stupid if you ask me, specially when he could break into someone else's house and get stuff much more valuable than his band's gear.

jesus mike, maybe you are an idiot.

either way, you clearly haven't dealt with many ****heads in your life, so lem'me break it down for ya'...

OFCOURSE IT'S STUPID! HE'S A HEROINE ADDICT!

one who's had the opportunity to case the place. he steals the gear, flips it, uses the money (which would be a fraction of the gear's value since he's gotta make it move quick) to get his fix, and the owners of that gear get what exactly? for him to go to jail (EDIT: that's IF the cops think they have enough for an arrest and IF the DA thinks there's enough evidence to prosecute this guy... both unlikely)? I'd rather just hang onto my gear and not associate with him, thanks.
Last edited by GrisKy at Sep 24, 2009,
We practice at a 24/7 rehearsal place that we pay good dough for. He would have a key (assuming he helped pay monthly which is a whole new can of worms) and could get in whenever he wanted. I know for a fact the guy has stolen band mates gear and pawned it for drug money. So it's not a matter of if, but when and who.

We did talk to them about it - their defense is that he was in a band with them 6 or 7 years ago and wrote one of the songs that we play and can't figure out exactly.
Last edited by drewfromutah at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by drewfromutah
I know for a fact the guy has stolen band mates gear and pawned it for drug money. So it's not a matter of if, but when and who.

Get your stuff out, quickly.
Quote by Rikki DeMartini
Get your stuff out, quickly.

Yeah, my bass player and I are going to bail and start our own project. This band isn't anything special anyway.
Quote by GrisKy
jesus mike, maybe you are an idiot.

either way, you clearly haven't dealt with many ****heads in your life, so lem'me break it down for ya'...

OFCOURSE IT'S STUPID! HE'S A HEROINE ADDICT!

one who's had the opportunity to case the place. he steals the gear, flips it, uses the money (which would be a fraction of the gear's value since he's gotta make it move quick) to get his fix, and the owners of that gear get what exactly? for him to go to jail (EDIT: that's IF the cops think they have enough for an arrest and IF the DA thinks there's enough evidence to prosecute this guy... both unlikely)? I'd rather just hang onto my gear and not associate with him, thanks.

Sadly I did know quite a few addicts personally in my life, hence why I joined this discussion. One of them is probably one of the best if not the best musician I've ever met, none of them had the habit of stealing their friends's stuff, most of them bought their fix through temporary jobs, and their parents financial support. I do know at least one of them had the habit of robbing kids for their cell phones and wallets but that's it.

And no, just because the guy is a junkie doesn't mean he's flat out dumb.

However,given the new informations brought by the TS about the dude, it's now obvious that staying in the band with him is a huge no-no so I'm sure you made the right decision.
Last edited by MikeDee at Sep 24, 2009,
I'm 16 and I know this person is not worth your time. A peniless moocher rehab stunt. I don't work with drug addicts. And neither should you.
Another oldster here saying, "don't waste your time." I mean, life is short, and there are SO many musicians out there. Why in the world would you want to muck around with that sort for?

In other news...... name-calling = flaming = warning, though.... :-(

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by MikeDee
Sadly I did know quite a few addicts personally in my life, hence why I joined this discussion. One of them is probably one of the best if not the best musician I've ever met, none of them had the habit of stealing their friends's stuff, most of them bought their fix through temporary jobs, and their parents financial support. I do know at least one of them had the habit of robbing kids for their cell phones and wallets but that's it.

And no, just because the guy is a junkie doesn't mean he's flat out dumb.

However,given the new informations brought by the TS about the dude, it's now obvious that staying in the band with him is a huge no-no so I'm sure you made the right decision.

i'm not saying HE'S stupid, i'm saying he's a junkie who will do stupid things if he has to to get his fix. window-lickers are one thing, chemical dependancy is quite another.

and it doesn't matter if he's a great musician or not, he'll go nowhere because he is a junkie. i had a friend in highschool who was a great athelete and a decent student. colleges were lined up to give this kid and is 4.3/40, 500lb bench pess a full ride to play football. he got into drugs and now he works part time at a gas station last i heard. a cool riff he might've written, if he can remember ir, is not worth having this guy's problems around. wise move ditching.
Is his name Chris Poland circa '86?

Seriously, I would tell my bandmates that I was NOT pleased AT ALL about it, and gtfo of there.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I personally wouldn't be in this situation to be with.

Why?

- No gear = can't play with band. A standard requirement for being in a band is owning gigable gear. If you don't have the gear, you obviously aren't serious enough to gig, and can't gig.

- If the band is any good/tight, it would be a pretty big deal to introduce another musician into the mix, we'd have to restructure the parts for the songs. Some random showing up would just interfere and slow things down. It would be discussed, and usually dismissed (depending at what stage the band was at).

- He's a junkie, nobody in my bands want to play with a junkie.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
As an interesting perspective, I was recently advertising myself to put together a band, and I got tons of responses - and lots of really good ones. People who had toured with recording acts and the like.

Overwhelmingly, one thing that kept getting mentioned as to why they responded:
1. my 'let's do it just for fun' attitude
2. my 'I'm drug-free / casual drinker' statement (people are sick of dealing with substance abuse)
3. my experience

... in THAT order. It was amazing how important #2 was!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
As an interesting perspective, I was recently advertising myself to put together a band, and I got tons of responses - and lots of really good ones. People who had toured with recording acts and the like.

Overwhelmingly, one thing that kept getting mentioned as to why they responded:
1. my 'let's do it just for fun' attitude
2. my 'I'm drug-free / casual drinker' statement (people are sick of dealing with substance abuse)
3. my experience

... in THAT order. It was amazing how important #2 was!

CT

The same thing happened when I was advertising myself for girlfriends, funnily enough.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
We're out. He's going to replace me on guitar and they will add a new bass player. It's going to be hilarious when he starts missing practices and they can't find him, or any of their gear.
Quote by drewfromutah
We're out. He's going to replace me on guitar and they will add a new bass player. It's going to be hilarious when he starts missing practices and they can't find him, or any of their gear.

Keep us updated on that, I'm sure it will ensure some luls.
Quote by MikeDee

Keep us updated on that, I'm sure it will ensure some luls.

It's Sod's Law the guy will reform himself and become a right blazing guitarist
Quote by Rikki DeMartini
It's Sod's Law the guy will reform himself and become a right blazing guitarist

I know, right? They're probably going to get a record deal within a few weeks.

Fortunately, I'm the only one who knows how to play our newer songs.
Page 1 of 2