Is not a tremolo unit; it has nothing to do with tremolo.

Try vibrato bar/unit/whatever.

"Whammy bar" or "floating bridge" and variations of such may also be accepted, although some may frown upon the seemingly juvenile use of "whammy bar."

But most of all, it should not be considered a tremolo unit, trem or any such thing.

Just putting it out there...
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Last edited by no.mop at Sep 22, 2009,
Most people just call it a Floyd (Rose).

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Quote by ItWillDo
Most people just call it a Floyd (Rose).

Unless it's an Edge/Kahler/other brand
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

Quote by no.mop

"Whammy bar" or "floating bridge" and variations of such may also be accepted, although some may frown upon the seemingly juvenile use of "whammy bar."

But most of all, it should not be considered a tremolo unit, trem or any such thing.

whats the point in this thread?
Quote by Kevy Absolution
I'm pretty sure it's a tremolo arm.

alot of people call bigsbys tremelos as well as the ones you get on fender strats
Quote by no.mop

Yeah. But in that case it's not really a Floyd anymore. Floating bridge would be the best name, but it's easier to called it a FR whether it's just a licensed one, or another brand (unless it uses an other system though).

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

It's a tremolo... Someone a billion years ago switched it up with vibrato and now everyone calls them trems... get over it... You don't get pissed when people call Homosexuals "gay" do you? Cause that doesn't mean what it meant back then either... (And it's bout to change again... As in this thread is "gay". )

Quote by no.mop

The most popular of any product usually becomes synonymous with the product itself... Ever heard of Band-Aids? How bout hamburgers...?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by no.mop

Yes, and we've known this for the last 60 years ever since Leo Fender got his wires crossed - what's your point?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by DIFTWOOD
whats the point in this thread?

There is no real point other than to correct all the people who call it something it's not.

Quote by Kevy Absolution
I'm pretty sure it's a tremolo arm.

What do you consider tremolo to be?

Quote by ItWillDo
Yeah. But in that case it's not really a Floyd anymore. Floating bridge would be the best name, but it's easier to called it a FR whether it's just a licensed one, or another brand (unless it uses an other system though).

I'm not sure if you just meant that the one in the photo is a Floyd Rose, which it is, and not a Edge/Kahler or whether they could all be considered Floyd Roses. I was just pointing out that they're all floating bridges (which I agree, IS the best name for them) and that they all do the same thing, if with different quality.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

Quote by biga29
It's a tremolo... Someone a billion years ago switched it up with vibrato and now everyone calls them trems... get over it... You don't get pissed when people call Homosexuals "gay" do you? Cause that doesn't mean what it meant back then either... (And it's bout to change again... As in this thread is "gay". :p

Quote by steven seagull
Yes, and we've known this for the last 60 years ever since Leo Fender got his wires crossed - what's your point?

This is a guitar forum, you'd think the majority of guitar players/musicians would know the difference between tremolo and vibrato.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

Quote by no.mop
This is a guitar forum, you'd think the majority of guitar players/musicians would know the difference between tremolo and vibrato.

We do know the difference, another thing we know, is that 99% of the time, when people are talking about a tremolo, and their not referring to a pedal or amp, they're talking about a "vibrato system..." And you know that everyone here knows that you're just being difficult, and I say that in the nicest way possible....
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29
We do know the difference, another thing we know, is that 99% of the time, when people are talking about a tremolo, and their not referring to a pedal or amp, they're talking about a "vibrato system..." And you know that everyone here knows that you're just being difficult, and I say that in the nicest way possible....

Yes, I'd say that most know the difference, but saying that all of us know the difference would be pushing it.

I know I'm being difficult; this is one of my major pet peeves (not so fun, considering how often I see the term "tremolo") and I've had a rough day
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

Last edited by no.mop at Sep 22, 2009,
What it does is vibrato, but aren't they called 'tremolo' in the patents - or was that just Leo Fender's?
Quote by Sir Anonymous
What it does is vibrato, but aren't they called 'tremolo' in the patents - or was that just Leo Fender's?

I'm not sure
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

Quote by no.mop
Yes, I'd say that most know the difference, but saying that all of us know the difference would be pushing it.

I know I'm being difficult; this is one of my major pet peeves (not so great, considering how often I see the term "tremolo") and I've had a rough day

Well go have a cookie and some milk.... that actually sounds really good...

Anyone who doesn't know the difference isn't gonna get confused, they'll just call it a trem until someone posts a thread like this, then they Google what trem really is... So you probably helped a couple people today....
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29
Well go have a cookie and some milk.... that actually sounds really good...

Anyone who doesn't know the difference isn't gonna get confused, they'll just call it a trem until someone posts a thread like this, then they Google what trem really is... So you probably helped a couple people today....

I've actually been eating Toblerone for the last while

I was hoping I'd help at least a bit and not cause too much of a ruckus. Maybe one day, it will be commonly known as something other than a tremolo...
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

If you started the thread, you should at least tell people "why" it's not a tremolo. It goes further than just guitars since there are vibrato and tremolo pedals. I didn't know there was a difference for a while. But tremolo changes volume and vibrato changes pitch for those of you who didn't know.
Quote by JELIFISH19
If you started the thread, you should at least tell people "why" it's not a tremolo. It goes further than just guitars since there are vibrato and tremolo pedals. I didn't know there was a difference for a while. But tremolo changes volume and vibrato changes pitch for those of you who didn't know.

That is very true; I should have done so! Thanks for the explanation
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

Quote by no.mop
I'm not sure

From a brief look around on PatentStorm, things having to do with them seem to refer to "Floyd Rose Tremolo" or "Locking Tremolo". It might have more to do with the people that are getting the patents not knowing though.
lol. thats a kramer striker lol. i recognized the quad rail pickups lol
Classical Guitarist
I don't care what anyone else calls it. To me it's always "the shakey-shakey thing".
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Yerjam
I don't care what anyone else calls it. To me it's always "the shakey-shakey thing".

Sounds excellent
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?