Page 1 of 2
After looking for my dream amp for more than a year, I've come to the conclusion that I don't really like tube amps. Is anyone else in the same boat? And what do you do about it since there's a huge lack of good solid-state and hybrid amps?
Grab an Axe-FX and run it into a Mosvalve poweramp. Sounds good to my ears, and 100% solid state.

Granted, you need to spend a good chunk of money for the high end SS gear.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
Grab an Axe-FX and run it into a Mosvalve poweramp. Sounds good to my ears, and 100% solid state.

Granted, you need to spend a good chunk of money for the high end SS gear.

THIS!
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
not all solid states are shi-te

i like randall solid states, and also some SS amps as stykerwolf said are good, especially the vetta, but new they are damn expensive
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
What amps did you try?
What guitar did you use with the amp?
How loud was it?
Did you play with the EQ?
Did you spend time with the amp?

to each their own I guess, but they just sound so much more natural to me.

Edit: Also, when I got my first tube I was disappointed because I wasn't used to a natural overdrive sound, I liked lots of sterile gain =)
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Last edited by tr3nt at Sep 22, 2009,
I've only played one one small tube amp, which was the Tiny Terror. I've played a bunch of bigger ones though including Mesas, Oranges, Peaveys, Marshalls, and VHTs. The VHTs were by far my favorite. But I've never turned them up past 4. I just don't like the pick attack and how the gain sounds. The problem I have with a lot of high-end solid-state amps and preamps is that they try to sound like they have tubes in them as if they're only trying to be more convenient because there are no tubes to change. I always test them with a basswood Prestige Ibanez RG. I also test them for at least a half-hour and I mess with the EQ settings. I do like the sound of tubes for a lot of stuff, but I just can't seem to find the tone that I hear in my head from them. I want to try a Randall V2 but I can't seem to find one.
well there are definitely good solid state amps that arent tube models
ampeg vh140
roland jc120
fender m80
what styles do you play?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
ill have to think about that....
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by JELIFISH19
Something in between Motley Crue and W.A.S.P.

Interesting, considering those two bands are both the 100w Marshall JCM 800 stack type...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The only SS amp i ever played that i REALLY liked was some ancient Ampeg. I have no clue what model, but i think it was made in the 60s.

Tubes for me, please.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Hey, I like SS too. I am glad that we have something in common.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Raijouta
Interesting, considering those two bands are both the 100w Marshall JCM 800 stack type...

I never said I wanted they're tone, I just said that's my playing style. But the fact is that studio recordings don't sound anything like the actual amp most of the time.
AxeFX are overrated. They are definitley very nice, but also very expensive. I've been reading alot about people saying they sound horrible live, and alot of people have gotten rid of theirs. I'll have to go find one to play.

*flameshield up*
Last edited by thrasher. at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by thrasher.
AxeFX are overrated. They are definitley very nice, but also very expensive. I've been reading alot about people saying they sound horrible live, and alot of people have gotten rid of theirs. I'll have to go find one to play.

*flameshield up*

I personally don't get the point of it. It's a modeling system so it only sounds like other amps. But once you get it with a power amp and speakers, you'll end up spending $3000+. At that point, you can buy most of the amps it models. I can only see its use in the studio. I guess it's kinda cool to go to a JC-120 clean to a Bogner dirty channel.
I honestly think it isn't much fun spending 20 minutes tweaking around to get one sound. It isn't a very good gigging amp since it's a pain to switch over to different things (i think.) I don't know man, I was talking to my neighbor who produced all these records and he was telling me and showing me this keyboard he has in his studio and you can run this Roland thing and it has all these different samples, so you can run all these different sounds from Strawberry Fields Flutes to Hardcore techno through the channel and all these channels overlap. It was sick as hell, and I could spend hours tampering with it, but's it is really a pain since we spent over an hour trying to get everything working just right.
I think if you are freak for every single tone and want to dial in everything perfectly and are willing to sit and spend the time to tweak, then an AxeFX is good, but for most people it's really impractical and it's damn expensive.
hmm wanna try a V2 you say? Come on over man! But yeah, it's a great amp, I reviewed it (V2 ninja) and it is accepted and everything so check it out. I felt the same way about tube amps for a long time, but they are sort of an acquired sound. When I was first on this site I actually argued that an MG was better for metal than any JCM or all tube Marshall...wow...I would not say that now haha The more you play tube amps the more you realize what they have to offer and the more you learn how to set them and everything. For example, on a solid state amp I usually go something like bass 10, mid 3, treble 10, gain 10, but on my 5150, it's something like bass 8, mid 4-5, treble 9, gain 6. Tube amps get saturated gain quicker and the eq can really shape what the amp puts out more so than a solid state amp in my opinion.
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
It actually took me a long time to warm up to tubes (terrible pun completely accidental). For the longest time, I completely refused even to consider getting a tube amp. There's just something about the sound of a tube amp that's grainy and washy, whereas a solid-state amp gives a much clearer, more sterile sound that I found (and still find) appealing.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I never said I wanted they're tone, I just said that's my playing style. But the fact is that studio recordings don't sound anything like the actual amp most of the time.

well you have to factor in the mic when hearing a studio recording an amp can sound a certain way to your liking but once you place a mic infront of it the amp can take on some new characteristics and perks. for example a Twin Reverb to my ears sounds great, but to me it sounds like what i was looking for once i've placed an SM57 infront of it and recorded it. IMO the mics pick up on the characteristics of the amp that your ears might not be able to really catch due to acoustics etc, or how close to the amp you are.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I've only played one one small tube amp, which was the Tiny Terror. I've played a bunch of bigger ones though including Mesas, Oranges, Peaveys, Marshalls, and VHTs. The VHTs were by far my favorite. But I've never turned them up past 4. I just don't like the pick attack and how the gain sounds. The problem I have with a lot of high-end solid-state amps and preamps is that they try to sound like they have tubes in them as if they're only trying to be more convenient because there are no tubes to change. I always test them with a basswood Prestige Ibanez RG. I also test them for at least a half-hour and I mess with the EQ settings. I do like the sound of tubes for a lot of stuff, but I just can't seem to find the tone that I hear in my head from them. I want to try a Randall V2 but I can't seem to find one.

That's your problem/
If you're playing high gain, etc., you'll get a lot of fizz.
You're also missing out on classic power amp overdrive [not with the preamp maxed though ]
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
That's your problem/
If you're playing high gain, etc., you'll get a lot of fizz.
You're also missing out on classic power amp overdrive [not with the preamp maxed though ]

You hit the nail on the head, sort of. Tube amps sound their best when they're turned up, so you can really get the power amp overdrive going. But preamp and power amp distortion are two different things, and many people desire power amp distortion
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Quote by Shiromar
You hit the nail on the head, sort of. Tube amps sound their best when they're turned up, so you can really get the power amp overdrive going. But preamp and power amp distortion are two different things, and many people desire power amp distortion

That last line wasn't referring to me, was it? I told him to turn up for power amp distortion, but make sure preamp is turned down a bit, so he can play a nice classic rock tone.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Name one famous guitarest who doesn't use a tube amp.

Now some of them do use a ss for parts in the studio though..... but not as a main amp.

Tubes can be harder to use (tweakers).... but the sound cannot be matched.
Made in Detroit
Guitars, Guns, Cars, Beer, and Women... This is what makes real men happy.
they both have their pros and cons. I have both a tube and SS amp and they both have their merits. I'll use them for different sounds though, so I am a fan of both. I think that in this day and age its premature to say one technology is better than the other.
Quote by speedinc

Name one regular joe like us that would chose a SS or modeller as his only amplifier.

Running my Ampeg SS line out to a tube power amp. That is one of my eventual goals. If you think you don't like tubes, at least a little, then you have bad taste. Sorry.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by speedinc

Now some of them do use a ss for parts in the studio though..... but not as a main amp.

Chuck Schuldiner.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by speedinc

Dimebag.

Wait... their all dead!!!

DO NOT USE SOLID STATE!!
Quote by 667
Do you really "not like" or is it that you just prefer solid state.

Check out the Tech 21's SansAmp PSA.

I have the first generation model and it's pretty frick'n sweet.
Note, you'll need to run it through a power amp.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PSA1/?gclid=CMz0hezkhp0CFc5L5QodxmlobA

I want to try one of these out SO badly.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
Quote by JELIFISH19
After looking for my dream amp for more than a year, I've come to the conclusion that I don't really like tube amps.
Sure. No probs, man. Some people prefer solid state over tubes. It's all about what you like.

Quote by JELIFISH19
And what do you do about it since there's a huge lack of good solid-state and hybrid amps?
Wait ... WHAT???
If there isn't a solid state amp that you like, how the hell can you prefer a solid state amp over a tube amp. That makes absolutely no sense.

And if there IS a solid state amp you like, where's the problem? Just buy that.

Stupid thread is stupid.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by thrasher.

*flameshield up*

You have no idea what you are talking about. They sound amazing live. In fact, a LOT of pro touring musicians are replacing whole rigs with these. Dweezil Zappa for example is running 2 of them for his live rig.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by JesusCrisp
Chuck Schuldiner.
Dimebag, James Hetfield, Dave Mustaine, Ol Drake, Michael Amott.

The list could go on.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Dimebag, James Hetfield, Dave Mustaine, Ol Drake, Michael Amott.

The list could go on.

John fogerty used to. Just to get some non metal in there.
Quote by speedinc

You sir, have no idea what you are talking about.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Page 1 of 2