I'm having trouble getting a "close" sound when recording my acoustic guitar. If I get too close with the mics I frequently get too much bass but if I take it back to where the guitar sounds right the guitar sounds too distant to me. Like if someone one were playing on a stage you were sitting on the front row. It's perfectly clear, just sounds distant. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I stereo mic with one pointed at the bridge and one at the 12th fret.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
i was reading it and was thinking double mic it! then you say you already do that...

have you tried just backing up the mic pointing at the bridge? thats the one where i would think you would get the overpowering bass, so backing that off might help a bit. my other idea would be to just try EQing some of the bass out and trying a middle-ish distance.
on my guitar, with my mics, i get a pretty darn good sound by having a large diaphragm mic just to the left of the hole (players perspective) and pointed right at it, and a small diaphragm mic in the general vicinity of the 12 fret (maybe even a bit farther back on the neck) pointing a bit towards the bridge.

the boomyness comes from the one closest to the hole of course. try moving it around (inches make huge differences) and pointing it different ways. you should be able to find a good spot that way without ever touching any EQ.

the closer to the guitar, the less room you'll get, but dont get TOO close cause you'll lose some good guitar tone. be far enough away that you pick up the whole sound with the two mics.

recording in the right room will make a difference too. if you dont want much reverb on it (making it sound farther away) stay away from your bathroom.
I've got the same problem, Zach. Have you tried using an acoustic pickup?

And again, I <3 you for your username. >_>
I sued Delta Airlines, 'cause they sold me a ticket to New Jersey, I went there, and it SUCKED.
the closer you get to the sound hole, the more low end you're going to get (esp 80-100Hz). i like stereo miking with one behind the bridge (pointed at it, 2-3" away and about 4" above) and one about a foot above the fingerboard. you can also try a LDC pointed up at the guitar, aimed at the bottom corner of it.
****. I hate how I don't get email updates about my own threads.

I'll trying changing the positions of my mics first. I can't really change the room I am in since it's my dorm. I could walk to the practice rooms since I'm a major, but that's too much **** to carry every day.

How far away would you recommend mic'ing? I usually go 6 inches or so to get absolutely no boom, but quite a bit of distance.

I'll try both pointing the mic away and EQ'ing some of the mid-bass and bass out as well if I can't get a better result with the mic placement.

by the way, I am using a hyper cardioid condenser and an SM-57 knock off.

ALSO I have now uploaded a sound clip under the title "DADGAD song"

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
****. I hate how I don't get email updates about my own threads.

I'll trying changing the positions of my mics first. I can't really change the room I am in since it's my dorm. I could walk to the practice rooms since I'm a major, but that's too much **** to carry every day.

How far away would you recommend mic'ing? I usually go 6 inches or so to get absolutely no boom, but quite a bit of distance.

I'll try both pointing the mic away and EQ'ing some of the mid-bass and bass out as well if I can't get a better result with the mic placement.

by the way, I am using a hyper cardioid condenser and an SM-57 knock off.

ALSO I have now uploaded a sound clip under the title "DADGAD song"

As a starting point I'd use the condenser about 8 inches in front of the neck/body join, and then the SM57 about 6 inches from the 7th fret, angled towards the body.

To be honest the clip on your profile sounds very nice, well balanced without any overly boomy bass.
Quote by kyle62
As a starting point I'd use the condenser about 8 inches in front of the neck/body join, and then the SM57 about 6 inches from the 7th fret, angled towards the body.

To be honest the clip on your profile sounds very nice, well balanced without any overly boomy bass.

I'll try that! Thanks.

Yeah, I mean it sounds nice, but it's like I said. It feels like I"m in the front row of an auditorium listening. It's crystal clear, but distant. I sort of what the sound you here on trace bundy and andy mckee records where it's right up front.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I've uploaded a new recording with some of the techniques you guys suggested as well as a new school of thought to equalization. Thoughts?

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
sounds pretty darn good man.

any more of that right up front stuff you've been talking about will be hard to do without a proper room.