Hello everyone,
My band is firing our drummer, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to deal with this gracefully. I am the singer, and the lead guitarist and I have become increasingly frustrated with our drummer over the past 4 months as we haven't been getting anywhere. He never practices at home, shows up late to practice, refuses to play with a metronome saying "I'm the drummer, I'm supposed to keep time, not the metronome". We try to calmly explain to him that he needs to keep CONSTANT time with the metronome, but he doesn't listen. Lately he's been pushing us toward becoming a hard-core band along the lines of Slipknot and August Burns Red (we're a rock band), and has been telling me to start learning to scream, which I hate. He has also become pissed off at us because we drink at band practice while he's dicking around. By drinking I mean a 40 between the two of us (guitarist and myself) or a bottle of wine, just to loosen up and help us play a little easier. He claims that we are just doing these things to live the 'rock n roll lifestyle' and that we're not being 'our true selves' which is stupid.
However! He refuses to quit. He says he loves being in a band, and loves playing, and wants to make a career out of it. He doesn't show it though, as you can see above, and the rest of the band (excluding the lead guitarist and myself) like him as a person, and don't want to lose a friend. However now we have convinced them that he has to go, and we are meeting with him to fire him. So does anyone have some general ways to break it to him easy? The drummer doesn't deal with confrontation well, and is generally a quiet sort of guy, so we don't want to hammer him, but we want to drive the point home.
Tips? Thanks guys
Best dirty pick-up line...
Quote by hide_the_beer
I wish you were my homework so I could slam you on my desk and do you all night long
tl;dr get a new drummer and when your old drummer shows up just look back and forth at the new drummer and the old one and say... "YOU MEAN THIS ISN'T YOU!?"

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
tell him practice is cancelled and find someone else. after a couple weeks he might ask when your having practice, tell him you found another drummer, or tell him (if you havent) that you think hes a hypocrite and that maybe this isnt the band for him.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by SPBY
tl;dr get a new drummer and when your old drummer shows up just look back and forth at the new drummer and the old one and say... "YOU MEAN THIS ISN'T YOU!?"

or this
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Just tell him you think that the way he is going is the way opposite that you and the lead guitarist want the band to be. Set out how your band wants to play and tell him that if he isn't liking your selection, he should look around for other bands, which he will probably enjoy more.
He might be right on the wine/alcohol thing though. Should you really be drinking at practice? I don't know how you personally are under the influence, but I've played with people who completely waste the practice by getting drunk. It isn't the same as using hallucinogens or anything. Just sloppy unprofessionalism.
^Yeah, think of practice as the bands job, would you want people showing up to work drunk?
Quote by TK1
tell him practice is cancelled and find someone else. after a couple weeks he might ask when your having practice, tell him you found another drummer, or tell him (if you havent) that you think hes a hypocrite and that maybe this isnt the band for him.

Yeah, that's the method to use if you want to make sure he gets really REALLY pissed off. Trust me. A simple "You're fired" (or the slightly less harsh "You're just not working out in this band") does fine.
Just tell him the truth - you aren't interested in playing heavier music like him, and it's obvious he doesn't want to put time towards the band as evidenced by his lack of showing up to practice or playing with a metronome.

As for the drinking thing, that's standard practice in the bands I've been through. Nobody gets trashed b/c they need to drive home. You don't have to drink, but that shouldn't stop others from drinking as long as it's not getting in the way of the band.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
"We've got increasingly frustrated with you over the past 4 months as you never practice or use a metronome to even attempt to play in time, you show up late to practice and then have the gall to tell us - the people actually making an effort - what we should and shouldn't be doing. That's not how this is going to continue. If you don't sort it out and work WITH us, then please don't continue to come to our practices.

In your own words, ofc.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by SPBY

I approve of this product.

If I had to get rid of someone. This would be it.

That would break the ice, and allow you to come in with a swift "Yeah, You're out of the band."

Seriously play it out in your head.

*Drummer opens the door to find "his" band practicing. The music halts.
Drummer: Guys what the ****?!
You: Woah, How'd you get over there?!
Drummer: Who is that freak?!
You: yeah... you're out of the band.
*Drummer becomes confused and either leaves or gets pissy.

Sounds like a solid plan to me.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄