So im just starting to learn about intervals. Some of teh stuff makes sense, but otehr stuff doesn't. My teacher gave me some hoomework. im not asking for answers, just help.

one is "what is minor sixth of C?'

so going up major scale, i get to A as the sixth. I would lower that a half step to make it minor right?

So would the m6 of C be Ab?
The intervals from the tonic in a major scale are:

Tonic, M2, M3, P4, P5, M6, M7 or C, D, E, F, G, A, B

So like you said, A is the Major 6th and Ab is the Minor 6th.
I'm also going to post in this topic:

I do not get intervals, people say it's a must for learning by ear but I don't really see how, I don't get NOTHING about this interval stuff, so any links would be appreciated
Quote by nathanlamb01098
Would it be Ab or G# and why?

In this case it would be Ab because of the relationship to the tonic.

A is the sixth note from the tonic and

G is the fifth note from the tonic.

You are looking for a sixth so you say Ab
If you were to be looking for a Augmented Fifth you'd say G#,
But you wanted a sixth so Ab it is.

Though they are actually just the same (enharmonicaly).

EDIT:
@CLFOBucket: Because music is made out of intervals, if you knew how every interval sounded and how to play it on your instrument you could play any music by ear.

www.musictheory.net for an ear trainer and theory

You just learn to recognize all the intervals and they will start to pop up in the music your listening.
Last edited by oxokoning at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by oxokoning
In this case it would be Ab because of the relationship to the tonic.

A is the sixth note from the tonic and

G is the fifth note from the tonic.

You are looking for a sixth so you say Ab
If you were to be looking for a Augmented Fifth you'd say G#,
But you wanted a sixth so Ab it is.

Though they are actually just the same (enharmonicaly).

EDIT:
@CLFOBucket: Because music is made out of intervals, if you knew how every interval sounded and how to play it on your instrument you could play any music by ear.

www.musictheory.net for an ear trainer and theory

You just learn to recognize all the intervals and they will start to pop up in the music your listening.

Thank you very much good sir.

If i find any more i need help with, i'll post here
so next problem on my homework. "what is the augmented fifth of Cb". Would it be G#?
im just chekcin to make sure im doin it right
Quote by nathanlamb01098
so next problem on my homework. "what is the augmented fifth of Cb". Would it be G#?
im just chekcin to make sure im doin it right

No, it would be G. The augmented fifth of C natural is G#. So lower your root a half step (C to Cb), you have to lower the G# a half step too (to G).
^Yeah.

Think in terms of letters, and in terms of semitones.

The letter distance will give you the degree.
Any kind of C for example up to any kind of G will always be some kind of fifth.
C=1, D=2, E=3, F=4, G=5.
When counting letters you count the letter you start on and it is always 1. So some kind of C to some kind of G is always some kind of fifth.

Exactly what kind of fifth? Well a perfect fifth is separated by seven semitones.
C♭ C D♭ D E♭ E F G♭ G
This time we are counting how many semitones we move so from C♭to C is one, C to D♭ is another, D♭ to D is another, etc so that to get to G from C♭ we have to go up 8 semitones. 8 semitones is an augmented fifth or a minor sixth depending on what letter we have. In this case it's some kind of fifth so it's an augmented fifth.

The best way to learn them is to start with one interval - start with perfect fifths. And learn them ALL by rote so you know anyone off the top of your head instantly. Then do Major thirds and minor thirds. By the time you get there it will get easier and easier as you go through them all.

You could write out a list of all the semitone distances and what they could be.
0 semitones = unison
1 semitones = minor second, augmented unison,
2 semitones = major second, diminished third
3 semitones = augmented second, minor third
4 semitones = major third, diminished fourth
5 semitones = augmented third, perfect fourth
6 semitones = augmented fourth, diminished fifth, (tritone)
etc etc....

And remember a major or perfect interval raised a semitone is augmented.
a major interval lowered a semitone is minor
A minor or perfect interval lowered a semitone is diminished
I had chart somewhere but I can't find it.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
^Yeah.

Think in terms of letters, and in terms of semitones.

The letter distance will give you the degree.
Any kind of C for example up to any kind of G will always be some kind of fifth.
C=1, D=2, E=3, F=4, G=5.
When counting letters you count the letter you start on and it is always 1. So some kind of C to some kind of G is always some kind of fifth.

Exactly what kind of fifth? Well a perfect fifth is separated by seven semitones.
C♭ C D♭ D E♭ E F G♭ G
This time we are counting how many semitones we move so from C♭to C is one, C to D♭ is another, D♭ to D is another, etc so that to get to G from C♭ we have to go up 8 semitones. 8 semitones is an augmented fifth or a minor sixth depending on what letter we have. In this case it's some kind of fifth so it's an augmented fifth.

The best way to learn them is to start with one interval - start with perfect fifths. And learn them ALL by rote so you know anyone off the top of your head instantly. Then do Major thirds and minor thirds. By the time you get there it will get easier and easier as you go through them all.

You could write out a list of all the semitone distances and what they could be.
0 semitones = unison
1 semitones = minor second, augmented unison,
2 semitones = major second, diminished third
3 semitones = augmented second, minor third
4 semitones = major third, diminished fourth
5 semitones = augmented third, perfect fourth
6 semitones = augmented fourth, diminished fifth, (tritone)
etc etc....

And remember a major or perfect interval raised a semitone is augmented.
a major interval lowered a semitone is minor
A minor or perfect interval lowered a semitone is diminished
I had chart somewhere but I can't find it.

Yeah i have a chart about all that stuff. Thanks for clearing all this up guys