So I've decided to take a new approach to figuring out songs, and that is to find out a part for sure, figure out the key, and thus narrow down choices and make improv a ton easier. Now my questions:
1) How often might I see a key change in a song, and what would be the best way to recognize it?
2) Would you say that its possible that a band simply did not follow the key? Theoretically 3 adjacent frets should never be played, so how come I see it often? (this question specifically applies to a lot of mudvayne, which I figure is a fairly theory based band because of the odd time signatures so maybe they just change key a lot?)
3) For anyone with bass knowledge, would you say it is advisable when doing a walking bass line to violate the key?
Quote by toshiro umezewa
to # 3-
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=591737

@ #2- In the Blues scale you see 3 consecutive frets played, as it has the 4th, b5th, and 5th in it.

Thanks man ...about 2 more, key signature does not have to follow a major scale/circle of fifths?
Sorry if I sound like an idiot but I haven't had time yet to read the flurry of FAQs
A lot of what you are seeing with the three consecutive frets are just chromatic notes. These notes are out of the key/scale, and are used very often in metal.
Quote by Well.......
A lot of what you are seeing with the three consecutive frets are just chromatic notes. These notes are out of the key/scale, and are used very often in metal.

O so your saying keys are really suggestions, and playing outside of them isn't that unheard of?
Quote by ExurKun
O so your saying keys are really suggestions, and playing outside of them isn't that unheard of?

I can't tell if your being an ass right now, or just trying to ask a question.
Quote by Well.......
I can't tell if your being an ass right now, or just trying to ask a question.

eh im seriously that stupid. I'm starting to really look at why the song is as it is, rather than how, but i dont have any formal theory instruction so ya... lol
Quote by ExurKun
eh im seriously that stupid. I'm starting to really look at why the song is as it is, rather than how, but i dont have any formal theory instruction so ya... lol

Oh. okay. Sorry.

Look at the intro to Master of Puppets, it is very chromatic, yet it sounds good.
Keys are not rules. They're groups of notes that have been found to sound good together (it's more complicated than this, but it's an explanation that will suffice for a beginner). If you have other notes you think sound good that aren't in key, use them. There's nothing against it.

IF IT SOUNDS GOOD, IT IS GOOD