Hey.

I'm 15 and a half at the moment, recently picked up my guitar again after not playing for 2-3 years (had been playing for roughly a year and a half, a lesson each week and the occasional practise, ending on being able to play Sweet Child O' Mine and various songs with similar difficulty levels). I've been playing for a week at the moment and I'll briefly list what I can play, or rather, the main things that I can play:

* Iron Man - full minus solo
* Sweet Dreams (Marilyn Manson version) - full minus solo
* Various intros - Smoke on The Water, Smells Like Teen Spirit, One, Enter Sandman, Back in Black, Beat It, Purple Haze etc
* Full chords for various songs including Good Riddance, Boulevard of Broken Dreams and Chasing Cars
* A few scales and other random easy tunes

I've really been relying on my own self knowledge of basic songs at the moment, and have just today stumbled across http://www.guitarnoise.com/easy/ which I've been using to learn famous riffs/easy songs and will be getting guitar lessons weekly soon.

What I'm really wondering is how I'm progressing at the moment, what I should do (websites like http://www.guitarnoise.com/easy/ would be great!), and generally how long it will take before I'm "band-worthy" - I have a couple of mates who are wanting to start a band but they're all above my skill level at present.

Thank you in advance for any answers!

Conzy.
learn the rest of the songs you only know the intro`s to, learn how to read tab/score, learn music theory and practice,practice,practice.
Theory is the most important thing, in the long run. Playing a bunch of intros and solos doesn't mean jack if you don't know what the hell you're doing.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Quote by SoWrongItsMatt
Theory is the most important thing, in the long run. Playing a bunch of intros and solos doesn't mean jack if you don't know what the hell you're doing.

What do you mean by theory? What sort of stuff?

And what's the CORRECT/BEST way of holding the pick?
Skill level is never learned, it is achieved over time and experience. Anyone can be in a band as long as their is chemistry within the band.
Quote by Casketcreep
He means actual music theory, genius.

Thanks for the sarcastic response, genius.

I was talking about which type of musical theory I should concentrate on.

Thanks everybody else!

More answers would be helpful.
there is only one type of music theory(learn it all),for starters learn a scale and the notes that make up the scale then work out what chords from that scale are the components of that key so your able to play over it. and repeat for the other scales, there are 49 basic scales in 5 positions on the neck and these repeat aftrer the 12th fret.

your best option is going to be a quality music teacher.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Sep 23, 2009,