So I'm deciding what pedal to get and I'm looking at overdrive and distortion pedals or something like that. Any suggestions? I was looking at the overdrive/distortion pedal

AND I'm going with boss. I've made up my mind about that
Quote by pedroskins

AND I'm going with boss. I've made up my mind about that

I think some poeple here might make you change your mind, RAISE YOUR FLAME SHIELD NAO!
it depends on what kind of music you play, john frusciante uses a ds-2
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
I personally use a Metal Zone pedal.

I don't recommend it.
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

i Find The Boss Blues Driver BD-2 & DS-1 Cut The Mustard enough for me

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Quote by hmbeast
DS-1. Really the only Boss pedal worth owning IMO.

Lulz!

I gave away my DS-1 because it's that bad.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
A ds 1 is definitely the least harsh sounding of boss distortion pedals. It depends on how much gain you need and what type of music your playing and your amp
the mt-2 is really nice. find an used one on craigslist for like 40-50 bucks and its a great deal.
you can really play with the tones on it.
Classical Guitarist
i love the ds-1 it makes my dirt cheap amp sound decent distorted, thankfully i had a decent clean channel
metal zone is very rough sounding. almost sounds like the speaker cone is ripped.
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

Quote by Chrisiphone
Lulz!

I gave away my DS-1 because it's that bad.

I have it and that's why i'm getting a new pedal
i have the mt-2 (metal zone) i wouldnt recomend it if you are a beginner, it was my first pedal and i couldnt figure out how to get a good tone out of it because there are so many different knobs to play with
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
I really really hate my ds-1. I only use it to get an over the top, harsh fuzz on my champion 600 when im playing at night. Theres so much better for the price man. There really is.
I know this isn't a Boss pedal but you shouldn't just stick to one brand, that's not always good. Anyways, I have a Electro Harmonix Metal Muff with top boost it is amazing!! one of the best metal pedals ever I think. (if your into metal)
The only good Boss pedal is a modded Boss pedal. Or the TU-2, that's pretty good right from the start.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by pedroskins
I have it and that's why i'm getting a new pedal

TS have you thought about getting your ds-1 modded? The keeley mod sounds very nice imo.
Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends

........that would be me
Quote by Supersonic64
TS have you thought about getting your ds-1 modded? The keeley mod sounds very nice imo.

This. You need to tell us what sort of music you play and what you want from the pedal otherwise there are too many options. i personally think the ds2 and sd1 are great pedals but if you have a ds1 already just get the keeley mod and it will be awsome.
I started out like you. I thought boss was all the rage and thats what I wanted to stick with. I had 8 boss pedals at one time, now Im down to just 2. I never used their distortion pedals, but I did use their SD-1 Overdrive for a long time. I really liked that pedal, but I thought it had too much bleed through when it wasnt on, and after a while, I just didnt like the sound of it.

Not saying boss doesnt make good stuff, I use their CH1 and love it, but maybe for the heck of it, just try some other stuff, Im almost willing to bet you'd find something better. I do think boss is good though if you're on a budget. I just spent $110 on my Maxon OD9, and to some its probably not worth it, but I think you have to work your way up. Good luck in your pedal search though. But check out the SD-1 if you're looking for an overdrive pedal. One last thing, I think boss makes an overdrive and distortion pedal. The OS2 if I remember correctly. Maybe check that out too. I've never played with it.
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
Last edited by CkY freak at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by ch0
The only good modern Boss pedals are modded Boss pedals. Or the TU-2 (or the delays), those are pretty good right from the start.

Fixed, a little bit.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Why would you limit yourself to only boss pedals?

The only thing from their catalog that I find decent are the delays. I like the SD-1 as a simple boost though.

I would broaden your range of products. If you limit yourself to boss you limit yourself to mediocracy. The modded pedals are a different story though. Keeley mods and the like are quite nice sounding.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
I think the Ds-1 is actually pertty decent. I mean for the price you dont expect what you would get out of a $120 pedal, but its damn good tone for $40. So I wouldnt bash it becuase its not the greatest sounding pedal. If your any good at EQign then you can get a decent tone out of it. And the people who say its crap cant EQ the thing right.

But like I said, with pedals, you get what you paied for.
Buy a soldering kit. Learn how to mod pedals. Your DS1 will transform into an awesome pedal. Soldering is easy. The whole project should take $20 and 20 minutes.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
so what keeley mod should i get, cuz there's a compression, fuzzhead, pre amp, and boost
and what do mods do exactly?
Quote by ethan_hanus
I think the Ds-1 is actually pertty decent. I mean for the price you dont expect what you would get out of a $120 pedal, but its damn good tone for $40. So I wouldnt bash it becuase its not the greatest sounding pedal. If your any good at EQign then you can get a decent tone out of it. And the people who say its crap cant EQ the thing right.

But like I said, with pedals, you get what you paied for.

Well yeah it's a great pedal but I just want a new, better tone quality pedal
oh by the way i play medal and melodic metal
Slayer, killswitch engage, metallica, bullet for my valentine, stuff like that
Quote by pedroskins
oh by the way i play medal and melodic metal
Slayer, killswitch engage, metallica, bullet for my valentine, stuff like that

Then a Boss pedal is a noooo...although I fail to see how any of those bands count as melo death....
Quote by sg4ever
Then a Boss pedal is a noooo...although I fail to see how any of those bands count as melo death....

well i don't play death really. I play mostly heavy metal