Page 1 of 2

Hi everyone!I wanna buy this guitar.It's really cheap thats why i'am a bit suspicious .Is it really original fender MIA ? Is there any way to understand that for sure ? I checked the serial number it seem lik a original but i don't now
hmmmm.... its not necesarrily that its original or not....

it looks like a normal fender... but dont fenders normally have a truss rod cover?
and there arent any drill holes for if there were a truss rod cover as well. at least thats what it looks like from these pics.

if i were you, i would ask a pro on how to identify whether or not its real.

but in my own oppinion, it seem a little sketchy

and even if it checks out real, theres probably something wrong with it, if its as cheap as your making it sound
Quote by Firering56

it looks like a normal fender... but dont fenders normally have a truss rod cover?

No they don't. Like every other guitar company does, but them.

Given the exception of the Fender Jackson Strat Adrian Smith San Dimas and a few low end Ibanez strats.
Quote by Firering56

Most fenders don't have a truss rod cover. Including mia strats, Also, he year it's made would help.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Looks like a 2006, based on the serial number.

EDIT: Serial seems to check out.
Last edited by blizzboy at Sep 22, 2009,
Here is the back of a 1997. Notice the script and placement on it. This serial font, or script, looks the same on my 1990 and most others although the placement of the number has moved. I would check it out further.
Attachments:
97 head.jpg
yea doesnt exactly seem right, but if the serial checks out it should be fine. contact fender with the serial # to be sure its legit.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
I am not a fan or really know that much about Fenders but it just doesn't look right to me.

The Serial Number checks out but that really doesn't mean a counterfeiter didn't get it right.

Your guitar was made at the
Corona Plant (Fender), USA
in the Year(s): 2006 - 2007

The tuners look wrong to me Every USA Fender I have seen either says Fender or has the Fender "F" on the backs. They could have plastic still over them though. How cheap is it? Usually if it's too good to be true it's a fake.

John
If they are serious enough take the neck off and look at the butt. It should look something like this but with dates near 96 or so.
Attachments:
neck butt.jpg
How much do they want for it?
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Considering it looks like someone used white paint and other random stuff on the bcak of the tuners where it should say fender.

Obvious fake is obvious.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
I'd stay away. 21 frets, wrong looking string trees and such. Bad vibes from the whole thing.
Quote by stratman7
I'd stay away. 21 frets, wrong looking string trees and such. Bad vibes from the whole thing.

They usually always have 21 frets and the string trees are normal.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Well, reading what some guys on the Strat forum say I would say don't take a chance. I have seen Strat counterfeits sell for as low as $150.00 US. Truthfully the ones I played really didn't feel too much different than a real Fender Strat I have tried. I would say the counterfeits are actually better than a Squier but not as good as a MIA Fender. The Fender Strat and Tele are probably the easiest guitars and least expensive on to copy it wouldn't surprise me if there are a lot out there that hasn't been detected. Last time I was at the music shop we were talking about counterfeits and the music shop says they have been fooled more than once with fake Fenders and Ibanez guitars. The problem is the counterfeiters are getting better and better they even get the serial numbers right. With Les Pauls they have the two screw truss rod covers the correct angle of the head stock which were usually the giveaway.

I would stay away if I were you unless it so cheap you don't care if it's fake but that's only if it plays and sounds good.

John
Quote by random_B-RAD

No, MIA Strats have 22 frets.

I'd say it's possibly fake because;
- 21 Frets, instead of 22
- 6 Point trem, instead of the 2 Point trem found on MIA [even 2006 models].
For standard Fenders: MIM models have a 6 point trem, MIA models have a 2 point trem
- Logo look too far to the edge of the headstock compared to real models, but that could just be a manufacturing error. Still, it's worth considering.

I'd put my money on a fake, or a MIM which was changed to look like a MIA.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
No, MIA Strats have 22 frets.

Unless it's supposed to be a re-issue.
thats a 2006 strat... but that one only had 21 frets, american standards have 22... its fishy

on the headstock, where the string slips under the two metal pieces... the americans only have one of those, and it is different...
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Sep 23, 2009,
i dont know man, im just getting bad vibes from it. not sure why
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
FAKE
The scripts are all wrong, 21 frets instead of 22, lack of roller string tree, non-Fender tuners.
Quote by cranium2001
Unless it's supposed to be a re-issue.

But TS is asking if it's a MIA. People only use MIA when referring to standards.

And if was a reissue of a 21 fret Fender, it would also have a 6 point trem. And most likely a maple fretboard [apart from the '62 Strat, but that has a weird bridge as well].
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Sep 24, 2009,
It looks exactly like my old Yamaha Pacifica, worth about 250$ new.

Edit: Pacifica body shape is slightly different, scratch that.
Quote by Simsimius
But TS is asking if it's a MIA. People only use MIA when referring to standards.

And if was a reissue of a 21 fret Fender, it would also have a 6 point trem. And most likely a maple fretboard [apart from the '62 Strat, but that has a weird bridge as well].

I don't disagree with you, just stating the facts. I called foul as soon as I saw that serial number. With the occasional exception if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
I'd say it's a fake.

1.) Metric-spaced six-point bridge instead of the American six-point bridge or modern bridge.

2.) Where you adjust the truss rod, there should be wood around it, like so:

(This is a 90's American Standard)

3.) The whole thing just looks suspicious, especially for the price.

I'd say skip it, and wait to you can find the real deal.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by cranium2001
I don't disagree with you, just stating the facts. I called foul as soon as I saw that serial number. With the occasional exception if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Oh, cool.

The fact the logo is almost touching the edge of the headstock really puts me off.
Also, no branded parts?!

I have a MIM '72 Telecaster Deluxe made in 2009.
ALL the hardware has either the Fender logo [ie headstock], just an 'F' on it [ie neck plate, tuners], or the word FENDER in plain writing [such as on the bridge]. And yes, it's a Mexican model. I wouldn't expect too much less from a MIA [maybe the bridge though].
Yet, this MIA lacks any branded hardware.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Sep 24, 2009,
The body doesn't even look right on it.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
well if it's cheap, it sounds good, plays good, isn't falling apart... who cares if it's actually American or not? if it seems to you to be worth the money you'd pay...
The logo placement, the bridge, the tuners, the string trees and the neck are screaming "fake!".
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
its been customed the neck and head are from an normal fender the body is from ibanez/ jackson or a copy of a strat!
There's some vague see-through lettering on the headstock, beneath and next to the logo, which also looks fake. Possibly the actual brand name? Seems like they just rebranded it..

D'oh Edit: Oh, that's the image watermark. My bad.
Last edited by MrKoks at Oct 24, 2009,
i get the feeling it's a squier affinity strat with the original enlarged headstock chopped down to roughly the size of an american strat headstock, with some fender decals on it. not very convincing imo, especially the headstock shape - it looks kinda disproportionate, the circular end of the headstock looks a bit too small.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
compare the pickguard screws and placement of them to a real american made strat, also check the control knob placement it seems a bit off to me, check for the smallest things possible
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
talking in english would help. what model is it advertised as? we need more info
Quote by random_B-RAD

No all MIA standards have 22 frets.
Page 1 of 2