hey UG!
so i have an LTD Alexi-200, in white, and i wanted to add some stripes on it to make it look like the one in my profile pic, so anyways, i think 1 know what to do, just tell me if im wrong.

1) remove strings
2) sand the body
3)use masking tape to cover the guitar and cut the ares that i want to paint off
4) use spray paint to paint
5) sand again
6) clear coat

also, i would like to know what kind of sand paper i should use, and if this would chip off naturally
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
dont sand it after painting it. ull sand off the paint. same as when u sand it the first time, which makes it a very obvious thing.
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
hmm i guess ur right

so what sandpaper should i use in the beginning?? rough or fine??
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by bananahammock
dont sand it after painting it. ull sand off the paint. same as when u sand it the first time, which makes it a very obvious thing.

Ignore this. You'll want to wet sand it with a very fine grit sand paper. If you check the Central Hub, there's a link to the Painting/Refinishing thread that will be very helpful. The method you described is essentially it, it's just each of the steps is a bit more involved.
you will have to repaint the base colour aswell.

but yes, go look at the painting thread. that should help you out with anything you need.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
He shouldn't need to repaint the base colour, it depends on how thick it was first applied. You can sand off the clear coat by wetsanding with fine sandpaper, not really fine, but not to rough. Then mask off for the pinstripes, paint them then give it a quick wetsand and apply the clear coat.
so sand off the clear coat, mask off and paint the stripes, and then some more wet sand, then clear coat. then im done
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
You'll wanna sand the clear coat too.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
wouldnt sanding the clear coat remove it??
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Using a high-grit wet sandpaper will only remove surface scratches, rather than removing the entire layer.

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
I get it now, so in the end I'm supposed to sand the clear coat with high grit sandpaper, that way it'll become smooth and I won't remove the coat.

Ok guys thanks for all your help, I think I got in now
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Wet-sand between every coat of clear, that way you'll have a smooth, clear finish.

How many times should I clear coat?? I thought it was just once and be done with it.
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
The more you do, the better it'll look to a point.