To start it off I took my guitar to the music store to get re-stringed because I'm an epic failure at it. I got it home and realized that the 6th E string was above the string retainer/tree. Should this have any detrimental effects on the guitar itself? It has locking nuts so I'm kind sure its safe but not sure.
Indecision is the source of chaos.
ok if your here since january 2008, and cant re-string your guitar, theres a problem.
I'm sorry but if you really have been playing since january 08 you should be able to string your own guitar. As far as the answer to your question, the reason the string tree is there is to increase the angle between the neck and the tuners, so you will lose sustain I believe
I (and all of UG will say it one more time just so everyone can hear)

*takes in deep breath*

Google. Is. Your. Friend.

Find string guides you will.
Gear:
Guitars/ Basses:
PRS SE singlecut w/Tremolo
Epiphone Sg
Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
Give the dude a break... Were ya'll born knowing how to string a guitar??? Everyone learns at some point...

TS. I don't think it will hurt, but you might want to fix it anyway.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Well to try to defend myself, I've tried at least a handful of time to re-string it myself and I always have bad luck I've done it 3 or 4 times out of 11 or so successfully. So I guess I'm just teribad what can I say. Thank you for answering my question.
Indecision is the source of chaos.
Quote by PirateSteve
Well to try to defend myself, I've tried at least a handful of time to re-string it myself and I always have bad luck I've done it 3 or 4 times out of 11 or so successfully. So I guess I'm just teribad what can I say. Thank you for answering my question.

Dun wurry, its all gon B K....

You just need more practice, but what most people haven't gotten, is that you're trying to learn how to restring a guitar with a guitar with a trem, which is hard...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...