Any opinion on what playing a (passive) bass through my 30w tube guitar combo will do to the amp? It's just a temporary thing but I'd rather not **** the amp up at all.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
if you turn it up a lot, often, your speaker is susceptible to damage.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
even if you dont turn it up, you still might loosen the speaker and cause it to buzz later.

when guys tell you they used a guitar amp and it was fine, take it wt a grain of salt.
some amps have higher thresholds for that sort of thing.
but there are no guarantees.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 22, 2009,
Don't use it! haha... I blew my guitar amp up when I first started playing bass. I didn't have money for a BASS amp at the time so I made do with what I had. Now my guitar amp sounds horrible even just turned on.
Throw a bass speaker in it, and it should do fine. Thats the only part that would be damaged (unless you suck at soldering).
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Man, now I have just no clue what to do. Don't turn it up and I'll be fine OR maybe I'll loosen the speaker, it'll blow it either way, and I should swap out the speaker for a bass version... none of this advice combines well with any of the rest of it. Hmm.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
Quote by drewsta42
Man, now I have just no clue what to do. Don't turn it up and I'll be fine OR maybe I'll loosen the speaker, it'll blow it either way, and I should swap out the speaker for a bass version... none of this advice combines well with any of the rest of it. Hmm.

seriously if you dont know what to do then you're a little naive.

i'm telling you, if you use a bass thru a 30w guitar amp, you'll compromise the speaker.

it's not going to have space for a 15" speaker, so save the cash and buy a headphone amp, to practice. not like you were going to get gigging / band use out of the guitar amp used wt a bass, anyway.

then, if you stick with bass, buy a real amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Okay, let me explain the situation: My band graduated our bassist and drummer, and we only replaced the drummer while I moved to bass. Our collective's communal bass amp was jacked. I have been playing through like the head from a 15w ****ty guitar combo (which sounds pretty awesome in a dirty, noisy way) through the extension speaker for my tube amp, but it's not loud enough for our show Thursday. I'm assuming my 30w tube combo IS loud enough, but I don't want to **** it up. I am not going to replace the speaker, indeed, could not replace the speaker in time. I only wanted to know if forty minutes of bass playing would damage my amp which I actually use for actually playing guitar all the actual ****ing time. So maybe, you're right, it's "naive" of me to not solve the problem in any ways which don't solve the problem, but in any case your advice sounds kinda clueless (partially because I'm getting enough volume for practice out of a solid-state combo with half the wattage), so I guess I should just stop coming here if I want anyone with any semblance of expertise to offer opinions.

Thanks for responses, though, everyone. If anyone else still wants to chime in, feel free.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
ok use it then. is that what you want to hear?

i'm saying you're naive because you are in a tough spot and instead of listening to reason, you want someone to tell you it's ok to use that amp without risk of damage.

now that i have enough info i'll offer you a couple of choices.

1. rent a bass amp for the gig. usually 10% of the retail of the amp for the night.
make everyone chip in on the $25 bucks.

2. if that's not an option then line out from the tube amp to a cab. most tube amps have ext cab outs or a detachable speaker. match ohms and use the other cab you were already compromising.
edit: i read again, you were using the tube amp's extention speaker?
seriously, just do what you feel is best.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Just use a different cab. The speaker coils can melt if you use a bass through them.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs