just put a cd in the disc drive of my laptop and it isn't being recognized on my computer. how do i fix this? i have vista btw
is it HP also? i had that exsct same problem. i also have vista. they told me i needed a new disc drive. what i did instead was formatted the computer. and now it works.

my advice: format your computer and it will be fixed i promise..

EDIT: unless you recently chucked your laptop down the stairs. then you may wanna bring it in to bestbuy or something.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by vjferrara
just put a cd in the disc drive of my laptop and it isn't being recognized on my computer. how do i fix this? i have vista btw

There's your problem.
Quote by Wesseem
is it HP also? i had that exsct same problem. i also have vista. they told me i needed a new disc drive. what i did instead was formatted the computer. and now it works.

my advice: format your computer and it will be fixed i promise..

EDIT: unless you recently chucked your laptop down the stairs. then you may wanna bring it in to bestbuy or something.

it is an hp. i've had issues with the disc drive before. i just ripped a cd with it no more than 5 minutes ago but now it isn't working. doesn't formatting a computer erase all of the data?

Quote by joshua122593
There's your problem.

wow... a crack on vista. surprise. didn't buy the computer. it was a gift. i've learned to deal with it. vista has been out for years now and most of the problems are fixed. not supporting them. just making the best of what i have
if reformatting helped the other guy, just try reinstalling the drivers for it.

*resisting HP - vista double whammy jokes*
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
if reformatting helped the other guy, just try reinstalling the drivers for it.

*resisting HP - vista double whammy jokes*

thank you for resisting the hp/vista jokes. if i had the choice i would have a mac or an asus but i didn't. i'll try reinstalling the drivers
if the driver doesnt do it then its hardware related. when u put a disc in does it spin? if it does, the laser reading probably is busted and u need to take it somewhere, or see if its jammed. if it doesnt spin, try opening it to see if the power cable got disconnected from it.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
if the driver doesnt do it then its hardware related. when u put a disc in does it spin? if it does, the laser reading probably is busted and u need to take it somewhere, or see if its jammed. if it doesnt spin, try opening it to see if the power cable got disconnected from it.

well that sucks. it just worked. i was trying to rip cd's to my computer and it worked fine on the first one. now it isn't reading the second
this happens every now and then for me, vista also. i just uninstalled the device from device manager, restart and wait for it to reinstall itself. like those above say, if it ain't the drivers, it could be the hardware. or vista being infuriatingly weak. again.

semifixededit: just read you've fixed it, don't know why it would break for the second disc though. you typed the symptoms into Google?

Make me laugh people... go ahead, make me laugh...
Last edited by Rhythmic at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by Rhythmic
this happens every now and then for me, vista also. i just uninstalled the device from device manager, restart and wait for it to reinstall itself. like those above say, if it ain't the drivers, it could be the hardware. or vista being infuriatingly weak. again.

semifixededit: just read you've fixed it, don't know why it would break for the second disc though. you typed the symptoms into Google?

it was never fixed. that was me restating my problem. i ripped one cd and it worked fine. now it wont read anything else. none of the other cd's have been able to be read by the drive
how do uninstal/instal the disc drivers? my laptop didn't come with the cd's. vista was already on it
Last edited by vjferrara at Sep 22, 2009,
Is it only a particular CD that won't read?

If Yes > Kill the CD.
If No > Are your drivers up to date?

Apparently so > Roll them back. This one might be bad for some reason or another.

If Fail > Open 'er up and see if your connections are still firm.

Also, there's a Computer Thread just to avoid Vista and HP jokes, where you'd find someone else had this same problem like two days ago.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

right click on my computer, properties, device manager, cd/dvd drives (click on plus box to expand), right click on your drive, uninstall, wait for that to be done. restart. on the restart, vista should detect the drive and install drivers automatically. see if that works, however, only do this if you want to, all im saying is it worked for me, if you break it then it ain't my fault. theres my guilt free disclaimer

Make me laugh people... go ahead, make me laugh...
dont just try to update the driver. completely reinstall it. go online to hp, find ur model computer, and get the cd drive drivers (if theres multiple, just download em all and install em till one of em works. if its not the right one, it wont install).

do what the guy above me said first, then do mine.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by SteveHouse
Is it only a particular CD that won't read?

If Yes > Kill the CD.
If No > Are your drivers up to date?

Apparently so > Roll them back. This one might be bad for some reason or another.

If Fail > Open 'er up and see if your connections are still firm.

Also, there's a Computer Thread just to avoid Vista and HP jokes, where you'd find someone else had this same problem like two days ago.

drivers are up to date. i've tried 7 other cd's AND the original cd wont read now. don't know how to open it up though. i'll try to find the computer thread.

btw... i totally agree with your sig. the rule part. not the sleeping with you part
Yeah uninstall the drivers, restart your computer, and reinstall your drivers.
That should work.
Otherwise, uninstall the drivers, restart, and install the second newest driver software, i've had to do this a few times as the newest versions are bugged and **** with my ****
Quote by AstheticsOfHate
Yeah uninstall the drivers, restart your computer, and reinstall your drivers.
That should work.
Otherwise, uninstall the drivers, restart, and install the second newest driver software, i've had to do this a few times as the newest versions are bugged and **** with my ****

how do i uninstall/reinstall the drivers?
Quote by joshua122593
There's your problem.

There's your problem.

Dammit, people would blame Vista if someone opened up their computer and took a hammer to all of the parts. It sounds like his drive failed, which Vista has nothing do to with.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Sep 22, 2009,

how do i uninstall/reinstall the drivers?

To save myself the hassle of typing it out, go to google and type in " How do i uninstall my disc drive drivers " XD
Day after day, love turns gray. Like the skin on a dying man.

I, feel

Cold as a razor blade
Tight as a tourniquet
Dry as a funeral drum

PSN: Allshalperish
Steam ID: Fiesal

Check out my band!