Page 1 of 3
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Last edited by Yerjam at Sep 23, 2009,
Oh No! Every single other guitar brand has copied Strats but when Gibby does it it's evil....
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in

Seriously though, we all knew this was coming...
Hello there.

I lurk a lot.

It's what I do best.
that thing looks disgusting
✠I use emotion for the many and reserve reason for the few
✠Adolf Hitler✠
Quote by loudog93
that is like a strat's retarded cousin.

lol this is just pathetic. Gibson copying another major brand? really?
Quote by biga29
Oh No! Every single other guitar brand has copied Strats but when Gibby does it it's evil....

Well it's copying one of their biggest competitors. But you also have to look at Gibson's track record. They sued PRS for their single-cut model. ESP Eclipses have to have a shorter lower horn and can't have 4 knobs in the US. But then they blatantly copy a Fender Strat. That doesn't go along with their ideal of "originality."
It doesn't look too bad, The only thing I don't like is how the uninformed are going to ask for a "Gibson Stratocaster" This Christmas.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
this is kind of funny. especially because you know if fender came out with an SG or LP body style gibson would literally crap themselves because they'd be so upset. stupid.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
The Strat shape is the most copied design out there almost every dirt cheap guitar sold is a Strat copy because it's the least expensive guitar shape to manufacture and Fender doesn't seem to care about all those, so why would they care if Gibby does it? I can see several subtitle differences so I don't think it's identical to a Fender. Truthfully I think it's just as ugly as any Strat Fender makes I am just surprised Gibson would lower it's standards to make a monstrosity such as this.

John
Quote by biga29

For me, it's not the fact they copied the body shape. It's the fact they are going to pass it off as an Authentic Hendrix model and charge a lot of money for it. If they had designed a completely new body, it's not an Authentic Hendrix unless it was copied from some sort of plan that Jimi drew on a napkin.
Well look at the CEO of Gibson
B.C. Rich Body Art Collection June Flesh Ring Warlock

Marshall 8040 Valvestate

1978 Peavey Classic VT 212 amp

All this 4 sale
You know, when I saw that thumbnail at first of it being in black. I didn't think it looked that bad, I kinda noticed that it wasn't a Fender, as the body was slightly shaped like a Mustang. I read the article, then the second thumbnail with the whole body. My jaw dropped.

This really proves that Janie Hendrix of "Authentic Hendrix" is just in it for money. Jimi most likely wouldn't even want his name on the guitar headstock. He played Fenders, why couldn't Gibson just make a V, SG, or LP like the one Hendrix played? If Fender wanted to pay homage to their most significant guitar player in history, then they would've said so.

Hell, Jimi gave away guitars for free that he didn't like, to give to those less fortunate than him because he knew how hard it was to get one for him when he was a kid. They could've done what the Jimmy Vaughn strat is. Made just like guitars Hendrix played, but made in Mexico or something, so players can afford a name brand, especially with someone's name on it as legendary as Hendrix.
Not gonne lie, I find it hilarious.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
i dont see how everyone thinks that strats look good but this doesnt...they look the same to me
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Well it's copying one of their biggest competitors. But you also have to look at Gibson's track record. They sued PRS for their single-cut model. ESP Eclipses have to have a shorter lower horn and can't have 4 knobs in the US. But then they blatantly copy a Fender Strat. That doesn't go along with their ideal of "originality."

Eh, that makes a little more sense why people are annoyed. I probably don't care as much cause I'm not really a fan of Gibson or Fender. And is that true about the Eclipses? If so, that's dumb...

And the shape is different from a strat, kinda like an ESP Viper is different from an SG.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Sep 22, 2009,
gibson stratocaster sounds like something my parents would say
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Im a little disappointed as a Gibson fan boy. Id like to play one kinda...

Guess money makes everything go round... even our musical instruments..
A disgrace. It looks like a squire! At least have it aged or something. So ****ty, what a rip off.
Quote by turd_ferguson
[0:17] If my parents knew I was part of a group who celebrated christmas by drinking cough syrup they would probably cry

WEATHERER, the greatest band ever.
wow
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
Rofl!

Way to go Gibson!

While I like their guitars, I always thought they were a little too capitalistic. This just prooves it.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Well look on the bright side, you can replace the neck with a Fender one ;o

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by DotSick
Well look on the bright side, you can replace the neck with a Fender one ;o

They probably made a custom heel and custom drill holes and a custom thickness body so that you can't, lol. Bet ya $10 anyway.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
OK, the Hendrix angle to this is just surreal.

But Fender copied Gibson first. Check out the Fender Showmasters. They're just SGs with a Strat silhouette. Heck, they even have glued-in necks. Also, there's the HH config, and the stained (vice painted) bodies. They stopped short of the shorter scale, though.
Ugly headstock is ugly.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Wow! Gibson, you're really starting to lose me here..

Design wise, looks like a drunken Strat. Ok in it's own right, but not quite there.

That aside, exploiting Jimi's name for shameless marketing - disgusting, repugnant, makes me want to hurl chunkies at the Gibson CEO. A guitar great like Hendrix deserves more respect.
I like the fact that they tilted the bridge pickup the opposite way, as if to hide the fact they ripped off a model from their biggest competitor. It's funny in one sense, but in another it's sad that a company as respected as Gibson would have to stoop to something like this. As if they needed the money or something. I've never owned a Gibson; I thought that one day I might actually get to own one, but this is just wrong on so many levels.
Wow, looks like a Strat Pack guitar. I honestly didnt mind Gibson toooo much before but this is kinda crazy. They made a completely new design. Sure, its similar to a Fender Strat, but still, looks plenty different. And I have never sing a single coil Gibson, any other ones before this? Kinda noob question I think but I have honestly never seen a Gibson with single coils.

I also find it sad how it well technically make sense when noobs say "Gibson Stratocaster"
Last edited by a7xplayer at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by chip46
I like the fact that they tilted the bridge pickup the opposite way, as if to hide the fact they ripped off a model from their biggest competitor.

Or maybe they did it becuase Jimi played a righty, so that's how his bridge pickup would look like, so they did it so that a play could get the same tonal options? Just a thought.

I don't see why everyone is getting worked up over this. :/
EDIT: I mean Janie Hendrix came to Gibson for a signature guitar, NOT to Fender. And what's Jimi's most iconic and recognized guitar? The Strat. Gibson would be stupid not to do something with the idea of a strat. Also, all of Jimi's Strats, besides possible the Montery Pop, had the most bland and basic look ever.
Really, this is the best homage to Jimi, as its not trying to be a guitar Jimi WOULDN'T play.
Last edited by Baby Joel at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by jetwash69
OK, the Hendrix angle to this is just surreal.

But Fender copied Gibson first. Check out the Fender Showmasters. They're just SGs with a Strat silhouette. Heck, they even have glued-in necks. Also, there's the HH config, and the stained (vice painted) bodies. They stopped short of the shorter scale, though.

I don't see it.

Failstack, Gibby. Also, have you guys noticed that the bridge pup is angled the opposite way from a Strat?
Quote by a7xplayer
And I have never sing a single coil Gibson, any other ones before this?

A few with P90s but they sound quite a bit different from a Fender.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Last edited by Thrasher51 at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by Thrasher51

Failstack, Gibby. Also, have you guys noticed that the bridge pup is angled the opposite way from a Strat?

Yeah, as I already mentioned, its cause Jimi's Strat was a righty, so when he played it lefty (And strung it lefty of course), the bridge pickup was angled in reverse. Gibson did the same so that a player could get similar tones to Jimi.
Quote by Alex Vik

I don't see it.

Yeah, that one is more like a DNKY. However on Fender's site (pops up randomly in the background), there's one that is transparent red (not quilted maple top) and a black pick gurad, 22 frets, and is (or was) available hard tail...
Hypocritical considering Gibson tried to sue PRS for making their SC model because it looked like a Les Paul.
Meh. If it's a good guitar, it's a good guitar. Gibson have made Strat copies before, under their Epiphone and Kramer brands, so that's nothing new. They already did the Hendrix V a few years ago. I don't see the problem. Fender made the Tele Deluxe in the 70's to compete with the Les Paul.

Quote by Ikonoklast
Hypocritical considering Gibson tried to sue PRS for making their SC model because it looked like a Les Paul.
Don't start on that ****, because you're clearly only mentioning it because the article did.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Page 1 of 3