Is there a correct way to hold a pick? I tried a bunch of ways how to hold it but it keeps slipping and falling out. I'm lefty if that makes a difference.
If you're a beginner at guitar, that is a common problem most people face.
But just grip a little bit harder.
Although the sound may be a little bit thicker when you hold it harder, but it's better than having it slip from your hand all the time.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
Well i would recomend trying to hold the pick with a tighter grip but if its too uncomfortable, they do sell picks with grip on them, some ranging just having little buds on the fat part that help, but i find those to be pretty useful I think they're Brain Picks, and if im correct they have a picture of a dog on them and are in a tin case and at Guitar Center i go to theyre about $5. I did see some ads in a magazine where they made picks with rubber grip on them but idk they might be usefull. There really is no way to properly hold a pick I would say i mean its just personal preference and sometimes it just takes some getting used to
everyone seems to do it a bit different. find a way that's comfortable to you and is easy to play. after a while of playing and dropping your picks and losing a few hundred, you'll get better at it. it's one of those things that just takes time.
You should hold it in whatever way works best for you. If you're looking for some direction, though, most people hold it like this:

edit: also, since it's not visible in the picture, the tip of the index finger lies perpendicular to the pick.
Last edited by SlashYourFug at Sep 22, 2009,
angle it when you strum, you're angling it so that it catches too much of the string. not only does this sound too harsh, you'll likely drop it or knock it out of your hand
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Quote by mlfarrell
angle it when you strum, you're angling it so that it catches too much of the string. not only does this sound too harsh, you'll likely drop it or knock it out of your hand

Yes, it wont help to just hold it harder. In fact, I wouldn't suggest thats the right thing to do. The problem is that you're digging in to the strings too much- thats whats knocking it out of your hands!

Think about it, if you hold the pick and just wave it in the air, does it fall out of your hand?
Quote by chainsawguitar
Yes, it wont help to just hold it harder. In fact, I wouldn't suggest thats the right thing to do. The problem is that you're digging in to the strings too much- thats whats knocking it out of your hands!

Think about it, if you hold the pick and just wave it in the air, does it fall out of your hand?

Agreed, sounds like you need to strike the string with less of the pick....only let the very tip of the pick strike the strings, just enough to make sound.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
I got this problem when i was about 4 years into playing. It just happens sometimes. I find it'll iron itself out eventually, but i always lick my finger/thumb on the tip before gripping my pick. With soft hands they will slip out - kinda like trying to turn a page with a dry hand.