If this is in the wrong forum, just let me know. Hopefully a mod will move it if that is the case.

In order to get service/creative hours for the IB Program that I'm in, me and some friends started a band to perform covers at nursing homes. We currently have, in terms of members, 2 guitar players (one good, one excellent), one bass player (not amazing), one drummer (alright), one keyboardist (****ing ridiculous), and a FEMALE singer (really good, but can't sing very low).

We want to perform songs that are really good, can appeal to old people, fit everyone's playing abilities, and include all instruments as much as possible. Here are some of the songs we have so far:

Phish - Esther
Come Together/Here Comes The Sun - Beatles
Clocks - Coldplay
Sugar Town - Nancy Sinatra
Everything - Michael Buble

Can you suggest some stuff that would be pretty good for us to play?
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
I was going to call shenanigans, but this actually seems like a legit story. Don't do anything made after 1960. They'll find it too _________ (negative adjective). They like it __________ (positive adjective), how it used to be. "Kids today with their rap music and their rock and roll guitars, they don't know what real music is anymore."
Keep in mind, we have a girl singing...
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
jefferson airplane!!!!
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
sweet caroline by neil diamond
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
"teenager in love" (covered by the chili peppers) by dion and the belmonts
or" someone" by the chili peppers. both are great love songs that actually have the same (except a minor/major switch) chord progression. C-A-F-G
Cannibal Corpse - Sentenced to Burn.

On a more serious note, House of the Rising Sun.
Killing in the name, God save the queen (the sex pistols one) and the finale My generation

that's a joke actually (a pretty bad one) Maybe some roling stones. The siouxsie and the Banshees version of dear prudence is really good and it's an older song but done up and has a feamle singer. I fought the law is another good song but it's a bit loud. In my Time of dying by led zep but it has no keyboard and I think only one gutiar track.
I can't think of much else
Good luck!
Way to diss your rhythm section =/

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
Quote by Andragon
Way to diss your rhythm section =/

The bassist started 3 months ago, and the drummer knows he's not that good. They'd both agree with me. I'm sorry to offend you.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
they'd probably like some conway twitty....
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Witching Hour by Venom

LOL that would go down great, umm i'm not sure...perhaps Dee by Rhandy Rhoads?
Quote by ibz_bucket
Keep in mind, we have a girl singing...

so? my band has a girl singer and we cover pantera, alice in chains, manson, drowning pool, sabbath, megadeth, metallica, etc.

even if she can't pull off a rough voice she can still sing it her own way. of course I understand ya'll aren't playing any heavy stuff like that, I'm just pointing out that you shouldn't limit yourself to what you think a girl could do.

edit: oh yea, suggestions:

Bad Company
Beatles
Bob Dylan
Boston
Byrds
CCR
Doors
Eagles
Kansas
Moody Blues
Steve Miller Band
Three Dog Night
The Who

cba to suggest specific songs because there are multiple songs by most of those and I don't feel like looking through specific songs.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Sep 23, 2009,
Vera Lynn - We'll meet again
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Time to grasp the Nettle
and learn some GERIATRIC METAL
Then, before you get kicked out, give them some Johnny Cash (not the prison stuff, though)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Your mom gave me herpes.

That's not a song...I'm just sayin'
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Is it a nursing home or a retirement home? If it's a nursing home, none of those people have any ****ing idea what's going on anyway (trust me, my grandpa lives there). So you may as well play something fun
My mum's a Director of one of the UK's biggest care providers. When i've been working around her homes i've heard these people playing music. Trust me, anything Neil Diamond, Beatles, Cliff Richard etc.....i know it sounds gash but that's the sort of stuff they listened to. That and classical, or big band stuff. The average age is approximately 75 so you're looking at stuff from the 50's/60's.
^ +1

i was gonna say anything from the 40's - 60's should suit your purpose and even some big band / jazz and ragtime from the 20's and 30's could go over well.

my personal suggestions would've been ella fitzgerald, elvis, the beatles and johnny cash.
^+1 to that too.

I know it might not be good to play or even cool but to go in and play 80's light rock or punk or whatever would be a bit disrespectful - this is a case where you have to cater for the audience because you're going to them..
Quote by ibz_bucket
If this is in the wrong forum, just let me know. Hopefully a mod will move it if that is the case.

In order to get service/creative hours for the IB Program that I'm in, me and some friends started a band to perform covers at nursing homes. We currently have, in terms of members, 2 guitar players (one good, one excellent), one bass player (not amazing), one drummer (alright), one keyboardist (****ing ridiculous), and a FEMALE singer (really good, but can't sing very low).

We want to perform songs that are really good, can appeal to old people, fit everyone's playing abilities, and include all instruments as much as possible. Here are some of the songs we have so far:

Phish - Esther
Come Together/Here Comes The Sun - Beatles
Clocks - Coldplay
Sugar Town - Nancy Sinatra
Everything - Michael Buble

Can you suggest some stuff that would be pretty good for us to play?

try playing something they've heard of.

Keep in mind these people are 70+ years old in most cases. You need to look back a little further if you truly want to do something that they will appreciate.
shred is gaudy music
Well, drop the IB like I did.

But for the most part anything by The Beatles, Boston, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Elvis, The Doors, or Chuck Berry should work.
Quote by Jackal58
What? You don't speak wigger? Allow me to translate:
Hai gais I'm a troll!!!!!!