I'm looking to replace the Dimarzio Evolution in the Bridge of my Alder Jackson for something much fatter sounding. Don't get me wrong the evolution is a great pickup and extremely clear and articulate, but it's just a little too thin and trebley sounding for my taste.

I'm going for a really fat Andy Timmons type mid-gain lead tone, but still with enough output to play some Dream Theater/Megadeth type rhythm stuff.

I'm leaning towards the AT-1 right now. Any advice or experience with either pups would be useful. Thanks.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
I'm pretty sure that Andy Timmon's tone comes from his amps since he still has pretty much the same tone when he uses his S. I would also look at the Breed. But I would go with the Tone Zone out of those two choices.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I'm pretty sure that Andy Timmon's tone comes from his amps since he still has pretty much the same tone when he uses his S. I would also look at the Breed. But I would go with the Tone Zone out of those two choices.

Yea the main reason his tone is so epic is his amazing mesa rig and the xotic bb preamp. And I completely overlooked the Breed for some reason, checking it out now, sounding like it might be a good option.

"The Breed™ was designed to warm up and smooth out the sound of 25 1/2 scale trem guitars."

That's pretty much exactly what I'm trying to do.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
I had the Tone Zone in my custom guitar for a while, and I really liked it. I switched it out for a Dimebucker, because I wanted more gain in that guitar, but Im putting it in another project soon. It has enough output for Megadeth and Dream Theater as long as you have a good high gain amp.
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm looking to replace the Dimarzio Evolution in the Bridge of my Alder Jackson for something much fatter sounding. Don't get me wrong the evolution is a great pickup and extremely clear and articulate, but it's just a little too thin and trebley sounding for my taste.

I'm going for a really fat Andy Timmons type mid-gain lead tone, but still with enough output to play some Dream Theater/Megadeth type rhythm stuff.

I'm leaning towards the AT-1 right now. Any advice or experience with either pups would be useful. Thanks.

If you watch him talk about his gear on youtube. He states that his main guitar is that maple sunburst ibanez that was the prototype for his signature released back in the 90s. He also states that his bridge humbucker is a JB, not the AT-1, which was later released on his signature models.

Just sayin. Also, like others say, it's mainly his amp and setup. He uses 2 Memory Mans with different delay settings (Think Run Like Hell kind of) with some chorus to have the slight sound of an Echoplex.

For the off record, there is a pedal you can order that is the pre amp of the echoplex. What people don't know, is the reason why the Echoplex sounds so good, is because of its preamp, since obviously you can replicate the echo with your standard analog delay.

Pedal is EP-PRE by ClinchFX, and after reading things about it on the gear page, it seems to open up your guitar's tone and clear things up.
Maybe you guys are misunderstanding me lol, I'm not trying to copy andy timmons tone, I just want a fatter bridge pickup than the evolution, but andy timmons is the closest guy I could think of to the tone that is in my head, specifically this tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKeMzevbcgw

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by Necrophagist777
Maybe you guys are misunderstanding me lol, I'm not trying to copy andy timmons tone, I just want a fatter bridge pickup than the evolution, but andy timmons is the closest guy I could think of to the tone that is in my head, specifically this tone:

I think in that video he's using the released signature. So it's most likely the AT-1.

It's most likely maybe his amps that give him the tone though.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
I think in that video he's using the released signature. So it's most likely the AT-1.

It's most likely maybe his amps that give him the tone though.

I'm pretty sure he does use an AT-1 in that guitar. And I like I said I do know the majority of his tone comes from his extremely impressive rig and his godlike fingers.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Tone Zones are awesome,

But I would go for the DiMarzio PAF Anniversary ones. Really fat warm Guns'n'Roses type of distortion, y'know? I really dig those p'ups.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Dimarzio Breed

all the fatness you could ever ask for
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Hmm the more I read about the breed the more I'm digging it.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Breed or Norton - the Tone Zone is an odd fish, it's hard to ever recommend it tbh.

The amp clips in my profile were recorded with Breeds - it's a mahogany guitar so the sounds going to be different but you should get an idea of the pickups characteristics, particularly from the clean clips.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I love my TZ´s, but "fat" or "big" aren´t words I would use to describe its sounds.
Quote by Vlasco
I love my TZ´s, but "fat" or "big" aren´t words I would use to describe its sounds.

That is some useful information I was just thinking tone zone and at-1 because when i use the Dimarzio Pickup Selector application it's always picking AT-1 or ToneZone regardless if I pick Jazz, Prog/Fusion, or Metal.

But right now I'm pretty set on a Breed, I've heard some great Andy Timmons type tones from it, and some great hi gain Metal rhythm tones as well.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Sep 23, 2009,
The Breed, I believe, sounds much much closer to the sound you are looking for.

The Tone Zone may have the specs for what you want - which is what the computer is seeing - but it has a funny quack noise to it that gives the treble and uppermids a very strong presence. I don´t think the pickup selector is accounting for that unique voicing.
Quote by Necrophagist777

That sounds amazing.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
Quote by steven seagull
Breed or Norton

This...

If you want ultra-uber-ott fattness the norton might not be the ticket though. It's possibly my favourite "modern" dimarzio humbucker though and is very versatile, it's PAF-ish but more vocal in the mids and just out and out louder.. It's a good "Van Halen" pickup (for lack of a better adjective)

The Breed is thick and will take the edge of a light weight FR guitar if that's what you're after. I've never tried the AT one though; I thought they were only availible on ibanez at models? (At least they were originally I'm almost sure of it)

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
I have the AT-1 in my Ibanez S2170 and i love it. The breed can be too fat sometimes in my taste. AT-1 is very versatile and i paired it with an Air Norton in neck position and it's really really good.