I really like the idea of finger picking so I want to try and learn it.
I have 2 metal fingerpicks, do I need more or any special type of strings?
my gear:
sansamp liverpool
sansamp gt2
fender standard strat
squire vintage modified precision bass
laguna sunburst bass
acoustic b100
ehx bass big muff pi
I love your username.
Lick me now.

On topic, the fingerpicks should work fine and I don't recommend any other kinds of strings but you might want to try a thinner gauge.
Well really, You can use your fingertips, fingernails (if you grow them out like myself and they don't break off all the time like mine do), fingerpicks, or maybe some other things that I haven't heard of or tried before. My favorite out of these three is fingernails; They're always on you and they sound pretty decent and make things easier....maintaining them is a pain though. You don't need any special type of strings or anything, that's preference.

Basically the only thing you basically need is Fingers.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
When I try to pick a get that pick scraping sound on the EADG strings
my gear:
sansamp liverpool
sansamp gt2
fender standard strat
laguna sunburst bass
acoustic b100
ehx bass big muff pi
But that's not loud enough
my gear:
sansamp liverpool
sansamp gt2
fender standard strat
laguna sunburst bass
acoustic b100
ehx bass big muff pi
the only requirement for finger picking is a guitar w/ strings, and fingers. finger picks make it a lot harder in my opinion. you can pick with just your fingertips for a warmer sound, or go for fingernails (generally you dont use your thumb nail unless you really want to) for a brighter sound.
Quote by poopgift

The more you practice and build finger strength the louder it will get.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by poopgift

By playing more, your fingers will get stronger and you'll eventually develop callouses. You can also grow your nails out.
Nails, angle of hitting the string, finger strength and finger accuracy = volume and eventually better tone control. The last three will be developed through regular practice. As for nails, try growing your nails so that they're equal to your fingertip, no longer, no shorter...and remember that you're not picking solely with the nails (terrible tone) or with the flesh (too soft, too little attack)...it's with both at the same time.

Good luck.
Practice practice practice, and the beauty about finger picking is the only equipment that you NEED is the guitar. Past that, the rest I do without.
I favour fingertips, for a beginner (at least IMO) it's easier than using nails or fingerpicks.

I suggest having a go with a thumbpick, see what you make of that. Personally, I didn't get on with one, but I know guys who won't go anywhere without one.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here