okay, I'm currently writing a song for my band...it is a technical progressive piece. I already have a basic idea of what I want to do, and the intro/chorus written. My problem is drumming. If you listen to dream theater or rush, they use strange time signatures but their drumming doesn't sound all that strange/out of time. I have tried a few times to write percussion but they are a linear eight note hi-hat with bass on '1' and snare on '3'...the beats aren't that first little beat you learn, that is just an example.

could you please tell some beats/methods,etc. for writing technical progressive drumming/percussion?

Thanks!

-tboi
Guitarist of Self Destructus. Continuing Writing. We play technical.progressive Metal as well as Melodic Power Metal.
Instead of trying to write down interesting drum parts and then play them, play them and then write them down. If that makes any sense.

Come up with something by ear, then expand on it and write it out rather than trying to force creativity.
Isolation is a gift. All the others are a test of your endurance.
use different time sigs, dispace the snare onto other beats. i play drums in a prog metal band and im up on playing complex stuff if you put an mp3 up ill tab a few examples.

here is a few examples from my band

www.myspace.com/mhzdemos
Last edited by lucertia. at Sep 23, 2009,
cool thanks. I'm actually experimenting with different recording methods at the moment. I'm hoping to get the guitar parts recorded soon.
Guitarist of Self Destructus. Continuing Writing. We play technical.progressive Metal as well as Melodic Power Metal.
Quote by kalaloch131$
Instead of trying to write down interesting drum parts and then play them, play them and then write them down. If that makes any sense.

Come up with something by ear, then expand on it and write it out rather than trying to force creativity.

+1

Being a drummer myself, I normally go by feel rather than try and count more complicated time signatures .
Just mess around with different beats and fills, eventually you'll find something you like.

What helps me is listening to the riffs a lot and after a while (if not right away) something comes to me.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398