im in desperate need to get my lyrics better like i just dont have enough words or something. i just feel like my lyrics suck compared to everyone elses and im not really sure how to improve them its hard. its really hard to explain to any poiters would majorly help
P.S. this is what the alphabet would look like without the letters Q and R
well one way is....
-grab a dictionary
-pick out several words that feel strong
-piece 'em together and make sense of them
-polish it off as a song

tht's just one way...
METALLICA!!!
___________ ____________

Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sunburst
Ibanez V70CENT
LINE 6 Spider III 15
Peavey Bandit 112
Jim Dunlop, Dava, First Act Picks
Quote by SaiNt adEL #13
well one way is....
-grab a dictionary
-polish it off as a song

tht's just one way...

ya i think i tried that once..... i started picking out band names lol
but ya ill try it again give it a shot thx
P.S. this is what the alphabet would look like without the letters Q and R
Metaphors go down well and can be quiet cryptic which makes the listen try and dissect the point your create

its not just about using big words, but you need to use engaging words either the start of the line or end, EVEN the whole line can use engaging words

like take this

stare with your eyes

turn that into

Your glare, with the gazing eyes
http://www.rhymezone.com/ is a sight that I refer to when I have serious writers block. But as Martin said, Metaphors are great. Along with Similes and Personification (Giving person-like qualities and emotions to objects).

Also the best way to write music is to use your emotions.
If you look at your songs, and you see that you didn't write them using your own feelings and your own emotions, and it looks like somebody Else's work, you have failed as a lyricist.

Once sentence answer: Use your own emotions and feelings.
Quote by SaiNt adEL #13
well one way is....
-grab a dictionary
-polish it off as a song

tht's just one way...

Do not do this. I mean no offense to saint adel, but this is bad advice and I wouldn't feel right letting you start doing this. Basing a work off of some words you probably didn't even know the full meaning of until you decided to pick up a dictionary is a bad idea. You can't properly use those words and it will show. Just using the words because they "feel strong" will also show and look extremely bad. The lyrics will have no meaning, to you or the listener.

Please, please don't do this. The best advice I can give is just to practice writing. Just keep practicing and posting your pieces on S+L and letting people crit them(and taking their advice). There really is no wonder-secret to getting better at writing. It's just practice. A lot of practice.

Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Well ganoosh thats fine but your are one of the few who will actually crit a beginners work which makes it even harder to get good at.
I'm gonna go ahead and say, take bandit eagle's advice and write with your emotions, you want someone else to understand and feel the way you do about what you're feeling, I imagine that's the reason you want to write.

A good way to hone the delicate art of making people understand you is to practice writing all the time. So just write, even if you think it's crap, write every day about something or nothing, look back at it in a couple of days and even if you think it's total poo, analyze the **** out of it, try and understand objectively what you were trying to say when you wrote it and if that comes through. I've seen it mentioned dozens of times on this website but it can't be stressed enough, if you practice something, you'll get better at it, so practice it!

Hope this helps
Quote by Captain Capo
Well ganoosh thats fine but your are one of the few who will actually crit a beginners work which makes it even harder to get good at.

That's generally because beginners don't read the stickies and see that the way you get crits is to crit other peoples work. So to revise that, I give out a lot of crits compared to other people. But that doesn't mean they're hard to get, people just don't go about it the right way.
So you're saying people are lazy? lol I know what you mean though but you would think people would crit somethings just todo it guess not though. Plus people like me being a beginer here I don't feel comfy criting a well rounded writers stuff especially if hes really good at it to begin with.
The regulars generally keep to critting each others work. I know how you feel, I still feel uncomfortable critting some people's pieces on here. But it's all your opinion. Tell them what you thought about the piece, that sort of thing. There's a whole guide on how to critique somewhere around here. The only way you will learn is to do it. After a while it will be much easier.