Ok guys I've just picked up an acoustic and I have no idea what to play whatsoever. Every time I think of a song and I look it up it's either easy as ****, or the chords are more confusing than Jazz chords. I've picked up a few Dylan songs, made one or two chord progressions of my own, the chords to While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and it's taken a lot of practice, and I'm still not quite there, but I've gotten Love In Vain by The Stones. I need some recommendations, I love my electric but there's something I just love about the acoustic and I really want to get this.

Edit: Oh I just realized I should try to learn some Nick Drake or Neil Young.
Last edited by cornmancer at Sep 22, 2009,
Good Old War is a band I recently found and they have some great acoustic guitar work. It ranges from intermediate to sort of tricky stuff.

check out their myspace. UG only has like 5 tabs for them though
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
More confusing than jazz chords? I didn't realize that was possible....anyways, have you thought about trying some fingerstyle stuff? Blackbird by the Beatles is a good one, as is Stairway To Heaven, Is There Anybody Out There? by Pink Floyd, Fire and Rain by James Taylor, You've got a friend by James taylor....hope this helps.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
I've glanced at blackbird, it looks tricky but it can't be harder than Love In Vain, can it? I'm mostly trying to learn songs that are chords for right now then move onto finger picking.
Try These:

-Oasis - Wonderwall. 'Nuff Said.
-Any Dylan, as you said. Specifically The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll, Blowin' in the Wind, and Mr. Tambourine Man.
-If you want something challenging, try The Needle And the Damage Done by Neil Young.
-Locust Street by the Black Crowes is a great intermediate song, nothing too tricky.
-Rocky Raccoon by the Beatles can be tough if you're not use to some quick chord changes, but give it a try.
-Wish You Were Here, Mother, and Pigs on the Wing Pts. 1 & 2 by Pink Floyd.

Theres just a few suggestions, also check out the "What Songs" Thread that's stickied.
Hope I Helped.

EDIT: Blackbird is like an angry hooker -- it looks vicious, but it's really easy.
Pot
Kettle
Black
Quote by A Rolling Stone
Try These:

-Oasis - Wonderwall. 'Nuff Said.
-Any Dylan, as you said. Specifically The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll, Blowin' in the Wind, and Mr. Tambourine Man.
-If you want something challenging, try The Needle And the Damage Done by Neil Young.
-Locust Street by the Black Crowes is a great intermediate song, nothing too tricky.
-Rocky Raccoon by the Beatles can be tough if you're not use to some quick chord changes, but give it a try.
-Wish You Were Here, Mother, and Pigs on the Wing Pts. 1 & 2 by Pink Floyd.

Theres just a few suggestions, also check out the "What Songs" Thread that's stickied.
Hope I Helped.

EDIT: Blackbird is like an angry hooker -- it looks vicious, but it's really easy.

I've never listened to Oasis, I've nearly got Blowin' In The Wind just need to nail the rhythm, I'm getting better with quick chord changes because of While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and I can play Wish You Were Here I just can't memorize all the chord changes. I've checked the what songs thread, and to be honest I don't like the majority of those songs. I also had a great idea the other day, I always thought an acoustic version of Little Wing would be great so instead of waiting for someone else to do it I just decided I'd try and learn it, and then arrange it so it sounds decent.
Last edited by cornmancer at Sep 24, 2009,