I've always wondered what a sitar is, but have always been too lazy to find out...... I picture it as a ukulele.
probably not to different than guitar. but if u use a pick then yur a douche. just sayin lol. but if the strings still go EADGBE (or 4 how many strings there are), then you gotta bust out some indian metal. it will be sup3r k3wL!!!!1!!!!1one!
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by herby190
I've always wondered what a sitar is, but have always been too lazy to find out...... I picture it as a ukulele.

My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Pretty difficult, I assume.

However, probably pretty well rewarding.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
i've heard its very difficult. the bending in indian music is very intricate, because a sitar's strings bend a lot further than a guitars, meaning you can bend by many semitones
While were on the subject, how hard is it to learn to play a lapsteel? I was thinking about getting one.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
i've heard its very difficult. the bending in indian music is very intricate, because a sitar's strings bend a lot further than a guitars, meaning you can bend by many semitones

the thing with indian music is the use not only of whole and half tones, but also quarter tones

the complicated thing about the sitar is the use of the strings made for the melody and the strings made for drone. I'm no expert in sitar but it's definitely not tuned in 4ths like a guitar and it has a really different technique.

it would be excellent to learn to play it IMO
It's supposedly really hard, you will need an instructor most likely. But it's a spiritual thing, please learn it. I would if I had the cash.

Quote by deluxity
the thing with indian music is the use not only of whole and half tones, but also quarter tones

the complicated thing about the sitar is the use of the strings made for the melody and the strings made for drone. I'm no expert in sitar but it's definitely not tuned in 4ths like a guitar and it has a really different technique.

it would be excellent to learn to play it IMO

There also strings not meant for playing at all. They are just supposed to resonate with the other strings .
Last edited by due 07 at Sep 22, 2009,
I imagine very difficult. And about the lap steel, I play Dobro, it's not that bad. It's a GREAT jamming instrument.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Very difficult. Apparently traditional Sitar training starts with a few years of note recognition and theory, without even touching the instrument.
Dont sig me, bro!

Quote by Unourrit01
i love you.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lulstack?