So I'm buying a MIM Strat, problem is it looks exactly the same as my Squier. So what are some cool things I could do (preferably myself and kinda cheaply) to make it look different? but still awesome!

Thanks

The guitars are both black with white pickguards.
My stuff Schecter C-1 Classic Trans Blue Schecter Tempest Custom w/ duncan distortion humbuckers
'91 Stratocaster, MIM....

Line Six Flextone II 60 watt amp
Last edited by colt34 at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by stanrobertsmith
then why are you buying it?

Sorry LOOKS exactly the same as my Squier Bullet Strat...
My stuff Schecter C-1 Classic Trans Blue Schecter Tempest Custom w/ duncan distortion humbuckers

Personally, I'd buy a Squier Standard Strat before an MIM Strat. It's just like an MIA Strat, but made a little further from home. Lately, the quality may be better than on an MIM, too.

Either way, you can get a custom pick-guard from Sharp Concepts. The possibilities are infinite. I got a custom-cut brushed aluminum diamond plate guard from them for $65 for my Squier Affinity so I could change from stock SSS to HH pups.
Quote by jetwash69
Personally, I'd buy a Squier Standard Strat before an MIM Strat. It's just like an MIA Strat, but made a little further from home. Lately, the quality may be better than on an MIM, too.

Either way, you can get a custom pick-guard from Sharp Concepts. The possibilities are infinite. I got a custom-cut brushed aluminum diamond plate guard from them for $65 for my Squier Affinity so I could change from stock SSS to HH pups.

I'm getting a really good price on the MIM so I think I'm going to get it

Sure, go for it. Your Schecter has enough frets to play anything you want, anyway. Right?
Quote by jetwash69

Squier Standards are balls. Alder > Agathis.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
...hold the phone.
You realise the origin of it's creation doesn't make it stop looking like a strat right?

At Jetwash, I agree with you whole heartedly, having a squier to mod to hell and back is a great idea (I'm quite annoyed that I used my squier for a very spiecific relic project which will be hard to mod some more without going against the lil' backstory I had for it ) but for like a "main" guitar you can't really knock Fender, with the Mexican one's it's really a case of trying a few out til you find one that is shimmering compared to the rest, because I believe there are some duds out there.
However I disagree with the "It's just an MIA strat made a little further from Home", MIA strats use a lot higher grade wood, have a lot more attention to detail, use better hardware overall etc etc.
It doesn't seem like much upgrade on paper, but the high grade of the wood accounts for a LOT.
Squier are a lot better quality than most people think, but callin' 'em similar to MIA is taking the piss a bit
Quote by Punk_Ninja
...hold the phone.
You realise the origin of it's creation doesn't make it stop looking like a strat right?

At Jetwash, I agree with you whole heartedly, having a squier to mod to hell and back is a great idea (I'm quite annoyed that I used my squier for a very spiecific relic project which will be hard to mod some more without going against the lil' backstory I had for it ) but for like a "main" guitar you can't really knock Fender, with the Mexican one's it's really a case of trying a few out til you find one that is shimmering compared to the rest, because I believe there are some duds out there.
However I disagree with the "It's just an MIA strat made a little further from Home", MIA strats use a lot higher grade wood, have a lot more attention to detail, use better hardware overall etc etc.
It doesn't seem like much upgrade on paper, but the high grade of the wood accounts for a LOT.
Squier are a lot better quality than most people think, but callin' 'em similar to MIA is taking the piss a bit

Squier Standards use a higher grade of Agathasis, than Affinities, and a lot higher than Bullets.

Just like MIAs use a higher grade of Alder then MIMs.

The Squier Standards & Deluxes have all the same modern features equivalent to the MIA Standards (22 frets, 3-ply pickguard meeting the American dimensions so you don't need a custom-cut replacement like you would for other Squiers, 2-point fulcrum bi-directional trem, etc.)

The other Squires are set up like MIM or Vintage MIA Strats.

Remember, you can get a bullet for $100 any day, an Affinity Pack for $100 on sale, but a Squier Standard can set you back $230 or more.
Quote by jetwash69
Squier Standards use a higher grade of Agathasis, than Affinities, and a lot higher than Bullets.

Just like MIAs use a higher grade of Alder then MIMs.

The Squier Standards & Deluxes have all the same modern features equivalent to the MIA Standards (22 frets, 3-ply pickguard meeting the American dimensions so you don't need a custom-cut replacement like you would for other Squiers, 2-point fulcrum bi-directional trem, etc.)

The other Squires are set up like MIM or Vintage MIA Strats.

Remember, you can get a bullet for $100 any day, an Affinity Pack for $100 on sale, but a Squier Standard can set you back $230 or more.

Affinity=Alder, and just because the standards cost more does not mean they are better (same goes for American std on rare occasions). You need to sit down and play the guitar, as with *any*guitar purchase. Squiers can be absolute crap or you can nab a really good one, Just like you can find a really crap American Std. Sometimes.

Gotta play to see!
Not sure what can be done. My squire standard strat looks just like my MIA strat, because they are both strats!
Sell the Squire and buy locking Tuners or some GFS pickups for the Fender. Otherwise, maybe black pickguards/hardware for the Fender, or a conversion to an HSS configuration.

I converted my Squire affinity strat to an HSS configuration with all black hardware for less than $50, but I had an epiphone Humbucker. You can probably find an epi or something similar used pickup off of ebay reasonably, and they're not too bad quality wise.

Whatever you decide to get, I bought most of my stuff from the ebay seller joshmsr. He has awesome prices, and when you call the number in his auctions for questions, you get an actual nice person. Best of all those awesome prices are for genuine fender parts.

Here's a Link to his store

I have a thread about upgrading my Squire, it might give you a few ideas if you want to give it a look.

good luck with whatever you do. Just be sure to do what you want, and not what other folks want. People forget that all too often.
I think Black strats look really good with black pickguards and white pickup covers and knobs, but only if it has a maple neck. If not maple, go all black.

80th best UGer
You could always antique it, sand down parts of the paint, key scratches in it, stain the wood, etc.
Quote by BS87
Affinity=Alder, and just because the standards cost more does not mean they are better (same goes for American std on rare occasions). You need to sit down and play the guitar, as with *any*guitar purchase. Squiers can be absolute crap or you can nab a really good one, Just like you can find a really crap American Std. Sometimes.

Gotta play to see!

That's all true. And thanks for the correction on the wood for the Affinities. Along those lines, the Bullet = Basswood (although many of them are plywood)

I'm pretty sure the quality of the agathasis in the Standard is still better than the alder in the Affinity. The alder in my MIA is definitely better than my Affinity--the threads stripped out of the strap button screw holes when I installed strap locks (it came out with the screw the first time I loosened it). I had to shim the hole to get any screw to stay after that.

But the thing most folks take a long time to appreciate is the fundamental design differences and similarities among all these models. When you're making a decision on what to get, you probably ought to start by choosing what basic characteristics are important to you (i.e. # of frets, neck profile, type of trem, fretboard material, finish--everything else is easily & cheaply changed). Then you try out a bunch of them till you settle on a sweet one. That's why I'd rather buy an old guitar in a pawn shop rather than a brand new one off E-bay.

If you gotta have 22 frets, you won't be happy with any MIM or low-end Squier, no matter how good the quality. If you want a stealth S-1 system, you'll need an MIA Deluxe, or be ready to do a lot of modding. The MIM Deluxes have a basic pushbutton switch near the tone knobs instead of the stealth switch mounted on the volume pot. It'd take $63 of parts to convert it over. And of course, the trem is all different. It'd be a big pain to convert 6-point to 2-point, not to mention the $127 for the ultra trem & pop in whammy bar. Then there's still the matter of 21 vs 22 frets. Neck changes aren't cheap or easy, either.

Basic specifications matter.
57/62 pickups
62 "mint green" pick guard
tone pros vintage style kluson tuners
remove rear tremolo cover
5 tremolo springs
solid steel vintage tremolo block, bridge and saddles
sand out and sheild pickup cavities
sand out tremolo cavity
clean out neck pocket and back of neck for stickers and paint for increased resonance.

just some ideas