Hey, so i really need some help with fast alternate picking between strings. Like the song Waking the Demon by Bullet for My Valentine (if you dont know the song click here) for example, i cannot for the life of me do the beginning part where it keeps switching between the E and A strings. Any suggestions?
Slow it down, use a metronome and work your way up to speed. Just takes time and practice. There really isn't any other way around it, that's the ultimate tip practice

D|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
F|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
C|---------------------------------------------------7p4-5p4-------------|
G|----------5p4-----7p4----------------------5p4-------------7p4-5p4-----|
C|--4-4-4-4-----4-4-----4-4-5p4h7p4--4-4-4-4-----4-4---------------------|

down-up-down-up-down-down-up-down-down-up-down.

I see no problem.

If it's that difficult, slow it way down, or pick an easier song.
127 BPM isn't all that fast. If the guitar pro tab I dowloaded is right, then you're talking down up down up on the 4th fret E (C) string and then a down on the 5th fret A string w/a pull-off to the 4th fret. Then another down-up on the 4th fret E string...

The key is get a metronome and practice really slow--20 bpm if you have to--so slow it's not a problem. Then just work your way up faster.

If you spend $30 for guitar pro software, it's even easier than a plain metronome because you can follow along with the exact notes and you can use the speed trainer feature. It can loop as much or as little of the song as you want; it can do it at the tempo of your choice; it can either keep the same tempo each loop or increase by the percentage of your choice.

100 BPM 8th notes was hard for me in the first couple of years of playing before I used guitar pro like this much, but now I'm doing 16th note sextuplets at 192 BPM.
Quote by jetwash69
127 BPM isn't all that fast. If the guitar pro tab I dowloaded is right, then you're talking down up down up on the 4th fret E (C) string and then a down on the 5th fret A string w/a pull-off to the 4th fret. Then another down-up on the 4th fret E string...

The key is get a metronome and practice really slow--20 bpm if you have to--so slow it's not a problem. Then just work your way up faster.

If you spend $30 for guitar pro software, it's even easier than a plain metronome because you can follow along with the exact notes and you can use the speed trainer feature. It can loop as much or as little of the song as you want; it can do it at the tempo of your choice; it can either keep the same tempo each loop or increase by the percentage of your choice.

100 BPM 8th notes was hard for me in the first couple of years of playing before I used guitar pro like this much, but now I'm doing 16th note sextuplets at 192 BPM.

what guitar pro software did you get, you have a link? i might be interested, it sounds pretty helpful. Or is the actual program itself called Guitar Pro?
Last edited by EscapeTDWPFate at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by EscapeTDWPFate
what guitar pro software did you get, you have a link? i might be interested, it sounds pretty helpful. Or is the actual program itself called Guitar Pro?

Yes, the actual program is Guitar Pro 5

http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

Wow, looks like it costs $60 now. Still well worth it. Beats Power Tab x 1,000,000+
Last edited by jetwash69 at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by chainsawguitar
Yes but powertab is free...

or use tuxguitar which reads gp5 files and is also free
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Like the others have said use a metronome and slow it way down although it really isn't fast at all.

Methinks you should choose a different song
Quote by Venice King
Snatch is such a crude term - Use a better one like axe-wound or cave-opening.

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
https://soundcloud.com/chris-thomas-214
^ Check it out
so iv heard of several guitar softwares now and only really want to get one, which would you guys recommend:

Guitar Pro
TuxGuitar
PowerTab
TabIt
Quote by jetwash69

bullsh!t you are.
Quote by EscapeTDWPFate
so iv heard of several guitar softwares now and only really want to get one, which would you guys recommend:

Guitar Pro
TuxGuitar
PowerTab
TabIt

I use Guitar Pro. It's not perfect, but it's definitely helped improve my playing. I haven't tried the other software, so I can't give a comparison.
it's actually not that fast, just start slow and speed up
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"

bullsh!t you are.

OK, I misspoke a bit; it's actually 184 bpm, not 192--got it confused with another song.

Only for about 12 measures at a time and there's a lot of legato (pull-offs) involved.

The first solo in "All Nightmare Long" is mainly 16th notes sextuplets at 184 bpm.

Actually that's one of the easier songs to play on Death Magnetic, if not the easiest. At least on a 25.5" scale guitar. The biggest stretch is about 5 frets (3 in between your farthest fretting fingers). Other solos stretch you 7 frets, which might be easier on Kirk's Gibson/Gibson style ESPs than it is on his superstrat ESPs or any of my guitars.

You're not too far off, though, 'cause I can't really do the solos on any of the other songs yet. And i'm still pretty sloppy at 184 bpm.
so Guitar Pro can actually slow down the song? or it just has a metronome with different speeds
Quote by EscapeTDWPFate
so Guitar Pro can actually slow down the song? or it just has a metronome with different speeds

Yes. or speed it up.

You can set any tempo you want, for any part of the song (even multiple tempos in the same bar).

You can overide the tempo when playing back. There's quick-select options for x.25 up to x2.0 in .25 increments.

There's the loop option to play selections over and over. You can have it automatically click of a bar before playing the music so you have plenty of time to move your hand from the keyboard to the guitar.

You can set that for simple loops or speed trainer mode.

Speed trainer lets you set the starting tempo (for the first loop) and the ending tempo (for the highest tempo you want for the session--if you play it long enough to get that fast, then the subsequent loops will stay at that max tempo). You can adjust the percentage to increase the tempo for each loop. If you set that to zero, it'll stay constant.

You can do all this with or without the metronome active.

What more could you want (other than a foot control, perhaps)?
wow sounds like some great software. so would you recommend Guitar Pro over the others i listed?
Quote by pantera456

D|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
F|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
C|---------------------------------------------------7p4-5p4-------------|
G|----------5p4-----7p4----------------------5p4-------------7p4-5p4-----|
C|--4-4-4-4-----4-4-----4-4-5p4h7p4--4-4-4-4-----4-4---------------------|

down-up-down-up-down-down-up-down-down-up-down.

I see no problem.

If it's that difficult, slow it way down, or pick an easier song.

Not that it matters, but that is economy picking, not alternate. If it was alternate, the picking pattern would endlessly be down-up-down-up.

You can buy software to slow down parts of songs, but make sure you use a metronome and slow it down to where you can play it accurately and cleanly. Speed is a byproduct of accuracy.
okay so i downloaded the demo for guitar pro 5 and am having some difficulties finding out how to import a song and slow it down, any help?
Quote by EscapeTDWPFate
wow sounds like some great software. so would you recommend Guitar Pro over the others i listed?

I only have experience with Guitar Pro and Power Tab.

I used Power Tab for about 6 months until I dowloaded the free trial for Guitar Pro. I bought Guitar Pro online about a half hour later and have never gone back. If a tab I want is only available on Power Tab, then I'll just import the .ptb files directly into Guitar Pro.

Lots of time people post Guitar Pro files without bothering to choose the right Real Sound Engine (RSE) guitar/bass/drums tones or even use RSE at all (just use MIDI tones). That's easy to fix. Also lots of tabs don't have the palm muting done right--they use the muted instrument (which is MIDI only, not RSE). That's easy to fix too; just choose a normal RSE instrument and then use the palm muting option on the notes that need it.

Guitar Pro only works with tabs. You can't use it to slow down a track off a CD or an MP3 file. But you can export to a wave file and burn to CD or whatever.
^^ are you sure you cannot some how import an actual song and slow it down to more easily play along with it? ^^
The import choices are:

MIDI
ASCII
MusicXML
PowerTab
TablEdit

Unless you're trying to play live White Stripes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, or something else with only 1 guitar, you're much better off using Guitar Pro than actual audio. Even those bands often have multiple guitar tracks going on playing different things. If you're listening to a .wav or an .mp3, then how will you know which guitar is doing what?

Guitar pro has the different guitars on different tracks. You can turn each one on or off independently.

Another cool thing about Guitar Pro is you can make a new track and copy the bars you want to play from the various guitar tracks so that you can make it sound like the song all by yourself as much as is humanly possible.

Most popular guitar songs have tabs posted on UG. Even for those not available in Guitar Pro format you can either import it (powertab) or enter it manually. If you have a MIDI sensor for your guitar you can play a conventional tab to enter it automatically into Guitar Pro as you play it.

Also you can mute the track you're playing and use the other tracks to accompany you. This would be great for band practice without the band.

However, if you're some kind of ear-training prodigy and you don't need tabs so all you want to do is slow down conventional audio tracks, then Media Player 11.x will let you play songs slow. Control+Shift+S is the keyboard shortcut for that. ...N gets you back. And once you've gotten faster than the original artist, ...G will speed it up faster than the original :-)
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Not that it matters, but that is economy picking, not alternate. If it was alternate, the picking pattern would endlessly be down-up-down-up.

You can buy software to slow down parts of songs, but make sure you use a metronome and slow it down to where you can play it accurately and cleanly. Speed is a byproduct of accuracy.

Actually, FDS would be right only if there weren't pull-offs in the riff AND if the second "downs" were placed where needed to take you to a higher string. That's not what's happenning in the tab he critiqued, though.

Alternate picking has some variations. For slower stuff you might want to alternate on the 8th notes, then double speed alternate what few 16th notes are there. For faster metal and punk, all the 8th notes are down picked and you only up-pick on odd 16th notes. Each pull-off, hammer-on, and/or rest counts as a picked note so you take that into account for whether the next note gets picked up or down.

This can be confusing and hard to remember when you're getting a lick down, but it matters because disciplined alternate picking is crucial to getting your rhythm/timing right.

That's another great thing about Guitar Pro--you can put down-pick and up-pick symbols on each note to help you figure out the right way (especially if there's legato and/or rests involved) and to help you remember while you're learning the riff. After a couple hundred times playing the song, it will get into your muscle memory and you won't even think about it.

Even tremolo picking is a science. In 4:4 signature 1 line = 8 picks per whole note; 2 lines = 16 picks per whole note; 3 lines = 32 picks per whole note. So it's not really just "picking as fast as you can", even though some dictionaries will tell you that.
Quote by FallsDownStairs

A few anomolies (sp?) does not mean you have to call it economy picking. Alternate picking does not mean you can only go up down up down ever always. You do whatever fits the situation best. It's mostly alternate picking.
Quote by pantera456
A few anomolies (sp?) does not mean you have to call it economy picking. Alternate picking does not mean you can only go up down up down ever always. You do whatever fits the situation best. It's mostly alternate picking.

+1

When the situation is dictated by genre, tempo, and rhythm and it stays disciplined along those lines, it's still alternate picking.

It's only economy picking if you go the same direction to get to another string faster. If that's how the song was written, then it'll magically match the tempo and it would sound wrong if you did alternate pick it.
Quote by EscapeTDWPFate
okay so i downloaded the demo for guitar pro 5 and am having some difficulties finding out how to import a song and slow it down, any help?

Are you opening a .gpX (with X being a number from 1 to 5 or something) file? Does it give an error when doing so? Then you probably have v.5.0, while the tab is made in v.5.2. You can't do anything about it (other than buying the program instead of using a demo version). If you try to open a PowerTab tab with it, don't use the "Open with..." function, but import it via File -> Import (or Import File, I don't know from the top of my head) and select PowerTab (or whatever format the tab is in).
Quote by Xtramus
Are you opening a .gpX (with X being a number from 1 to 5 or something) file? Does it give an error when doing so? Then you probably have v.5.0, while the tab is made in v.5.2. You can't do anything about it (other than buying the program instead of using a demo version). If you try to open a PowerTab tab with it, don't use the "Open with..." function, but import it via File -> Import (or Import File, I don't know from the top of my head) and select PowerTab (or whatever format the tab is in).

Sounds like the poster wants to import an audio file. For the answer, see my 09:19 post above (it can't be done). It will export audio, though.

If the question is how to get music into GP, you have to download a .gp3, .gp4, or a .gp5 file from UG tabs or somewhere (filter results for guitar pro). Save it to the computer and then double click it. It will open up GP with that song loaded.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Sep 28, 2009,